Dodge Ram Recall

olcoon

Just saw this on another forum tonight, for some this may be old news, but here it is.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling almost half a million medium- and heavy-duty Ram trucks over a water pump issue that could potentially cause a fire.
The company said it is not aware of any injuries or accidents related to the issue, which affects 2013-17 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups and 3500, 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs. The recall is limited to trucks with 6.7-liter engines, the company said in a news release, noting that it no longer equips vehicles with that water pump.
"Customer feedback prompted an FCA US investigation that discovered certain trucks are equipped with a water-pump bearing that, after exposure to certain conditions, may overheat and potentially cause an engine-compartment fire," the release said. "Compromised water-pump function may activate a warning light in an affected vehicle’s instrument cluster. Customers are urged to consult their dealers whenever they observe warning lights."
The scope of any potential fire is apparently wide. A company spokesman said that "in accordance with (the) regulatory definition, which includes everything from a burning odor to open flame, we are aware of a small number of such incidents. Of these, a smaller number involved damage – none of which extended beyond the immediate area of the water pump."

Last edited by a moderator:

sengli

OMG another recall. Just had my RAM in for the recall, for the replacement of the catalytic converter. Now it seems like the truck uses less DEF? Anyone else have this done?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
OMG another recall. Just had my RAM in for the recall, for the replacement of the catalytic converter. Now it seems like the truck uses less DEF? Anyone else have this done?
I don't know about the DEF but mine seems to be using more fuel.

Peace
Dave

PondSkum

I had the SCR system recall done after getting the check engine light for it. I haven't really noticed a difference in DEF usage, but I also don't drive it much since I have a company truck for work. I probably should start trying to track some sort of mpg of the DEF system for future reference.

olcoon

Just saw this on another forum tonight, for some this may be old news, but here it is.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is recalling almost half a million medium- and heavy-duty Ram trucks over a water pump issue that could potentially cause a fire.
The company said it is not aware of any injuries or accidents related to the issue, which affects 2013-17 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups and 3500, 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs. The recall is limited to trucks with 6.7-liter engines, the company said in a news release, noting that it no longer equips vehicles with that water pump.
"Customer feedback prompted an FCA US investigation that discovered certain trucks are equipped with a water-pump bearing that, after exposure to certain conditions, may overheat and potentially cause an engine-compartment fire," the release said. "Compromised water-pump function may activate a warning light in an affected vehicle’s instrument cluster. Customers are urged to consult their dealers whenever they observe warning lights."
The scope of any potential fire is apparently wide. A company spokesman said that "in accordance with (the) regulatory definition, which includes everything from a burning odor to open flame, we are aware of a small number of such incidents. Of these, a smaller number involved damage – none of which extended beyond the immediate area of the water pump."

ramdually4100king, check out the quote above in red-apparently they are no longer using that water pump.

happykraut

I checked with my dealer a few days ago and he stated that the water pump mod is in the works. You will be notified.

I have a 2013 Ram 3500 DRW.

This notice came out last Wednesday. The previous Friday, while pulling my fifth wheel, we had our water pump go out on I95 near Fayetteville NC. Luckily we were only 20 minutes from home. The low coolant light came on and less than a mile later the water pump failed, which resulted in the serpentine belt breaking. I immediately lost power steering and pulled off onto the shoulder. The temp gage was around 200 and just about the time I went to put the truck into park the water pump seal failed and anti freeze went all over the engine. It was quite a dramatic moment with tons of steam pouring out from around the hood. The temp climbed to 230 even though the engine was off. I could see how someone could have their truck catch on fire as the temps climb so fast once the pump fails.

After that bit of road side excision, 5 days later the recall notice goes out. I joked with my wife that Chrysler was probably saying "if we get one more water pump failure we will recall them". I was the lucky one. I should go buy a lottery ticket.

On a side note. It is normal for the temp to rise with the engine off. Without the fan running there is no cooling via the radiator.

That's good to know. I was worried about long term engine damage. Guess I shut it down in time.

Once they figure out the fix I will probably have to take the truck in for another replacement.