What GPS do you use and would you recomend purchasing it?

olcoon

We've got the Garmin RV 760 (Which is now discontinued), and LOVE it. Has 2 modes one for auto, and another for the RV. You enter the length, width, height, & weight, and it is supposed to route you away from places you don't want to go with the RV. They have sense come out with 2 newer models, the 770 & 660. INHO, Garmin is the best route to go. There are a bunch of others out there, but listening & talking to people that have them, have more issues than Garmin. Garmin also has lifetime free map updates, plus other features. HERE is a link to Garmin's website. With all that said, and others will probably chime in, no GPS units are perfect. Sometimes they will send you down a wrong road or whatever, but they are an excellent way to keep from getting lost in a strange area. I don't think ours has ever sent us the wrong way while in RV mode.

One thing to keep in mind is that (to my knowledge) all companies that sell GPS units get their mapping software from a company that does this type of stuff, and it's been implied to me that they all get it from the same company. Keep in mind that in the US there are millions of roads & streets, and mistakes will be made, but they are seldom.

DirtyMax88

We have the Garmin RV660LMT, and we really like it. So far no problems. I believe they have since come out with the 760 again.

Lynn1130

Iphone using Waze or Google Maps. I already have the phone and the maps are always updated.

For back roads and running the side x side, I use OnX maps on the Iphone. You can also use Avenza maps many of which are free to download.

I have owned, and still own Garmin GPS handhelds for hunting but have found that the phone works as well or better and maps can be downloaded so you don't have to worry about "no service" areas.
GPS units go out of date too fast or if you don't have a map subscription the maps are out of date in a year or less.

BrianBP

So far Garmin seems to be the one. Same thing when you search on line. Reading reviews I was surprised at the number of negative reviews I have read about bad routing. I have used my phone for the past 5 years, but I love the idea of having an RV specific GPS especially entering in the height, length and weight. Thanks every one for the input.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We used to have a Rand McNally RV version, and switched last year to the Garmin 760. We like the Garmin MUCH better, but there are some features we miss, like destination arrival time, and the speed limit warning. The RM would tell you an estimated arrival time that constantly updated based on how long it was taking you to drive/stop/etc. And verbally say "speed limit reduced ahead" as you were approaching changing limits. Great when you were approaching a small town, where the speed went quickly from 70 to 55 to 30.

However, the functionality and the way the RM gave directions and recalculated was FAR WORSE and I would not go back.

danemayer

We used to have a Rand McNally RV version, and switched last year to the Garmin 760. We like the Garmin MUCH better, but there are some features we miss, like destination arrival time, and the speed limit warning. The RM would tell you an estimated arrival time that constantly updated based on how long it was taking you to drive/stop/etc. And verbally say "speed limit reduced ahead" as you were approaching changing limits. Great when you were approaching a small town, where the speed went quickly from 70 to 55 to 30.

However, the functionality and the way the RM gave directions and recalculated was FAR WORSE and I would not go back.
Erika,

Our 760 rings a bell and displays a message when the speed limit is going to change, or a school zone is ahead. It's probably a configuration choice. And I think there's a Time Remaining selection somewhere in the menu or in the side display - I don't use it, so I haven't paid attention. I think I'm configured for altitude instead.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika,

Our 760 rings a bell and displays a message when the speed limit is going to change, or a school zone is ahead. It's probably a configuration choice. And I think there's a Time Remaining selection somewhere in the menu or in the side display - I don't use it, so I haven't paid attention. I think I'm configured for altitude instead.

Yes but the bell doesn't get your attention like a spoken "reduced speed limit ahead" does. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookoo

We have the Garmin rv 660lmt. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. Disappointed with accuracy with speed limits on some interstates. Inputting RV parks at distances over 250 miles don't register at times. Small towns and the middle of no where works great. Traffic alerts are nice as well as the warnings for sharp curves and school zones. The last update was the first week of June. Supposedly there are three to four updates a year. I prefer the smaller screen on the 660 over the 760. Make sure to get an accurate height of your unit and add six inches. It was worth the purchase

danemayer

We have the Garmin rv 660lmt. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. Disappointed with accuracy with speed limits on some interstates. Inputting RV parks at distances over 250 miles don't register at times. Small towns and the middle of no where works great. Traffic alerts are nice as well as the warnings for sharp curves and school zones. The last update was the first week of June. Supposedly there are three to four updates a year. I prefer the smaller screen on the 660 over the 760. Make sure to get an accurate height of your unit and add six inches. It was worth the purchase
Before searching for the RV Park (or other POI), press on your current location. That'll pop up a menu and you can select "Different City". If you select a city near the desired RV Park, it'll show you the closest RV Parks to that city.

JWK

We use a Garmin 760 as the main unit and CoPilot on the Ipad as a backup. we really like how the Garmin allows us to put in our destination for the day in and choose our route and as we are driving being able to search for restaurants, gas stations and other POI's along our route. This is extremely useful to help find truck stops for fuel. If we search for a Pilot on our route it tells if there are any on our route and if there is how far it is to the next one. Or just search for all gas stations and it lists them in order of there distance along the route. Very helpful

Geodude

We've had a half dozen Garmins over the years and all have been good, well, up until now! Last year our 760 bit the dust and Garmin replaced it with a 660. The 660 seems a bit wonky.

We normally have it set to "fastest time". We can be on the road heading home and if I press "go home" while underway it will pick a different route than the one it was one, and frequently it's a faster route. I have to question why it didn't pick it the first time. This weekend we were outbound and took a turn onto a road that it wasn't suggesting but we wanted some different scenery. The 660 recalculated the route and knocked five minutes off our arrival time. Again, we had to wonder why it didn't suggest that route in the first place.

We also find the arrival times can be really out of whack. Last week we had the 660 in car mode as we didn't have the trailer with us, and it was saying a route we common take that we know takes 1.5 hours was going to be a 2 hour trip. There were no traffic tie-ups at all. We find this happens quite frequently. We've been on that same route and re-entered the destination and it suddenly knocks a significant amount of time off the trip.

Other than that there are times when the routing it chooses is pretty strange. All in all, I hate to say, I wouldn't buy it again.

JWK

We've had a half dozen Garmins over the years and all have been good, well, up until now! Last year our 760 bit the dust and Garmin replaced it with a 660. The 660 seems a bit wonky.

We normally have it set to "fastest time". We can be on the road heading home and if I press "go home" while underway it will pick a different route than the one it was one, and frequently it's a faster route. I have to question why it didn't pick it the first time. This weekend we were outbound and took a turn onto a road that it wasn't suggesting but we wanted some different scenery. The 660 recalculated the route and knocked five minutes off our arrival time. Again, we had to wonder why it didn't suggest that route in the first place.

We also find the arrival times can be really out of whack. Last week we had the 660 in car mode as we didn't have the trailer with us, and it was saying a route we common take that we know takes 1.5 hours was going to be a 2 hour trip. There were no traffic tie-ups at all. We find this happens quite frequently. We've been on that same route and re-entered the destination and it suddenly knocks a significant amount of time off the trip.

Other than that there are times when the routing it chooses is pretty strange. All in all, I hate to say, I wouldn't buy it again.

Try turning off the RV profile and set it up for a car. I have found my 760 does strange things when the RV profile is on the unit has trouble and I think it’s because not all roads are identified as RV friendly roads and it sends you on a route that will take much longer. I use ours set up as a car and I find it works much better. I am now looking at adding Low Clearance POI’s as that’s really all I am looking for on any highway is low Clearance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Ok, so I said that I was using Waze and the Iphone after having used Garmins over the years, even in hunting and back roading, I decided to try a new Garmin and so far am pretty happy with it. I purchased a Nuvi 2789LMT which has a 7" screen, and lifetime maps/traffic. I got tired of squinting to see the Waze screen in low light and did not want to change out my OEM radios system for a large screen Nav and lose the auto sound adjust. So far it is working well.

Geodude

Try turning off the RV profile and set it up for a car. I have found my 760 does strange things when the RV profile is on the unit has trouble and I think it’s because not all roads are identified as RV friendly roads and it sends you on a route that will take much longer. I use ours set up as a car and I find it works much better. I am now looking at adding Low Clearance POI’s as that’s really all I am looking for on any highway is low Clearance...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do find it works better in car mode but the reason I bought it is for RV mode and to avoid low clearances (we're 13'5" high). It definitely routes us the long way around when we come back home from a trip with the camper when in RV mode. The funny thing is, it didn't do that initially. Somewhere along the way it became more strict interpreting what roads it knows are RV friendly.

What doesn't make sense is that when you're in RV mode and halfway somewhere that you can stop navigation, re-enter your destination and then it chooses a different route. Things that make you go "hmmmm...".

JWK

I do find it works better in car mode but the reason I bought it is for RV mode and to avoid low clearances (we're 13'5" high). It definitely routes us the long way around when we come back home from a trip with the camper when in RV mode. The funny thing is, it didn't do that initially. Somewhere along the way it became more strict interpreting what roads it knows are RV friendly.

What doesn't make sense is that when you're in RV mode and halfway somewhere that you can stop navigation, re-enter your destination and then it chooses a different route. Things that make you go "hmmmm...".

Just did a software and mapping update may that will take some of the hmmmmm out of it.

Geodude

Just did a software and mapping update may that will take some of the hmmmmm out of it.

That's good to hear! I just did the update a couple of days ago so haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Here's hopin'!