jbeletti's 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

jbeletti

Hi friends,

We're thinking now is the time to trade our 2012 F450 with Classy Chassis Hauler (125k miles) for a new truck. Any takers?

Strongly considering ordering a 2018 (when the order window opens) Ford F450 CC 4X4 LB Lariat Ultimate.

Checking with Heartland to see if I can get an X-plan PIN via Thor. Failing that, does anyone have a Ford X-plan PIN? :)

This time around, my plan is to "not" get an RV Hauler bed. I just want to save the $15k. My plan would be to order the truck through Classy Chassis (they order their Fords through Olathe Ford in Kansas).

My reason for using Classy Chassis is that Tom Martin is a good friend and I need them to add some stuff for me when the truck gets in. Here's what I am "planning" to have Classy Chassis do:

• Bug Shield Aero Type (painted body color)
  • Vent Shades (painted body color)
  • Window Tint
  • ATTA AT52TT-RT Aux Tank / Tool Box Combo (L-shape to work with Roll-N-Lock)
  • Roll-N-Lock (M-series) Bed Cover
  • *Refurb existing Trailer Saver TS3 Hitch
  • Trailersaver Underbed Hitch System Adapter Plate
  • Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Plus (89399)
  • Air Lift Wireless ONE Compressor System (25870) (for air bags)
* I might be rebuilding this hitch myself or going another route

Any thoughts on all of this?

My 2017 Ford F450 Platinum Article Index

DESCRIPTIONPOST #LINK
Small Aluminum Step to Reach Bed Step (Harbor Freight)138LINK
Two Channel Dash Camera Installation (Blackvue DR650S-2CH)140LINK
B&W 5th Wheel Hitch Modification (T-Rex)​
154LINK
Truck Bed Organization Mod (Bedside Rack Storage System)155LINK
Driver Side Rear Seat Back Latch Kit163LINK
Ford Remote Access (Start, Stop, Lock, Unlock and Find)101LINK
ChargeGuard Installation (Timer-based DC Circuit Control)166LINK

Last edited:

alexb2000

Re: Considering 2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate

Hi friends,

We're thinking now is the time to trade our 2012 F450 with Classy Chassis Hauler (125k miles) for a new truck. Any takers?

Strongly considering ordering a 2018 (when the order window opens) Ford F450 CC 4X4 LB Lariat Ultimate.

Checking with Heartland to see if I can get an X-plan PIN via Thor. Failing that, does anyone have a Ford X-plan PIN? :)

This time around, my plan is to "not" get an RV Hauler bed. I just want to save the $15k. My plan would be to order the truck through Classy Chassis (they order their Fords through Olathe Ford in Kansas).

My reason for using Classy Chassis is that Tom Martin is a good friend and I need them to add some stuff for me when the truck gets in. Here's what I am "planning" to have Classy Chassis do:

• Bug Shield Aero Type (painted body color)
  • Vent Shades (painted body color)
  • Window Tint
  • ATTA AT52TT-RT Aux Tank / Tool Box Combo (L-shape to work with Roll-N-Lock)
  • Roll-N-Lock (M-series) Bed Cover
  • *Refurb existing Trailer Saver TS3 Hitch
  • Trailersaver Underbed Hitch System Adapter Plate
  • Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Plus (89399)
  • Air Lift Wireless ONE Compressor System (25870) (for air bags)
* I might be rebuilding this hitch myself or going another route

Any thoughts on all of this?

Just a point of reference I always buy Ford trucks on the A-plan line item no trade, no financing, no.... I usually have to call a few dealers but someone will do it if the transaction is a simple in-and-out with no nonsense. I do not have an A-plan PIN BTW, I just use it because if you pay that line item you are truly getting a wholesale price regardless of option mix.

The Costco buyers plan dealer will also do A-plan on Ford trucks, but in my area they always have to order you one.

Just an FYI.

jbeletti

Just a point of reference I always buy Ford trucks on the A-plan line item no trade, no financing, no.... I usually have to call a few dealers but someone will do it if the transaction is a simple in-and-out with no nonsense. I do not have an A-plan PIN BTW, I just use it because if you pay that line item you are truly getting a wholesale price regardless of option mix.

The Costco buyers plan dealer will also do A-plan on Ford trucks, but in my area they always have to order you one.

Just an FYI.
Good info - thanks.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Considering 2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate

Coincidentally - look what's in my Ford cart :)

View attachment 54787
Jim I don't believe the F450 has the tire pressure monitor options to where the F350 does. I love that option on the truck and the trailer. Just one thing I was just thinking of.
Another note.
Rod's F450 with 4:30's and
My F350 with 3:55's both loaded around 29500lbs we reset out tripomiters when we left my house drove about 3 hours to Bass lake last week "Rolling" 65 to 68 mph down the freeway and Hammer down into the mountains bumper to bumper the whole way. We both had the exact same MPG the whole way and we both ended up at 8.4 MPG at the end of the trip.
Just a little note that surprised me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Jim I don't believe the F450 has the tire pressure monitor options to where the F350 does. I love that option on the truck and the trailer. Just one thing I was just thinking of.
Another note.
Rod's F450 with 4:30's and
My F350 with 3:55's both loaded around 29500lbs we reset out tripomiters when we left my house drove about 3 hours to Bass lake last week "Rolling" 65 to 68 mph down the freeway and Hammer down into the mountains bumper to bumper the whole way. We both had the exact same MPG the whole way and we both ended up at 8.4 MPG at the end of the trip.
Just a little note that surprised me.
Jerrod - thanks for the feedback on the fuel economy. Good to hear that on your 3 hour route, the lower gearing didn't affect economy.

In terms of the TPMS, I don't know if the 2017 I configed has TPMS or not. I did check the box for: Trailer-Mounted Trailer Camera - Camera With Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Part No: HC3Z-19G490-J - SRP: $725.00. Here's a link to the detail for that option. I assumed it meant it added the trailer TMPS sensors to the trucks system - but you might be right.

That all said - I've missed the 2017 ordering window, so who know what will be offered for 2018.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jerrod - thanks for the feedback on the fuel economy. Good to hear that on your 3 hour route, the lower gearing didn't affect economy.

In terms of the TPMS, I don't know if the 2017 I configed has TPMS or not. I did check the box for: Trailer-Mounted Trailer Camera - Camera With Tire Pressure Monitoring System - Part No: HC3Z-19G490-J - SRP: $725.00. Here's a link to the detail for that option. I assumed it meant it added the trailer TMPS sensors to the trucks system - but you might be right.

That all said - I've missed the 2017 ordering window, so who know what will be offered for 2018.
I'm told there are no sensors for the F450 truck wheels. Seems odd to me. It's just a sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

I'm told there are no sensors for the F450 truck wheels. Seems odd to me. It's just a sensor.

Just noticed this on that Trailer TPMS option: "The Trailer TPMS sensors cannot be used on steel carcass (belted) tires." That's no good.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

It works fine
That was a concern but mine works fine on my H rated tires.
I do have 1 right rear tire that looses signal every once in awhile.

jbeletti

From the 2018 Ford Super Duty Fleet "Preview" Guide: "Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS; excludes spare) (F-250, F-350)"

That's pretty clear - no TPMS in the F450 for 2018 unless things change between the preview and production. If I recall correctly, the government mandated TPMS on passenger vehicles and number of years ago with a multi-year phase in based on vehicle type. I think the F450 doesn't get classified as passenger vehicle under this mandate.

travlingman

I have 1 x-plan pin left. If my son in law doesn't take it, I will let you know. You can also join the Mustang Club of America for $25 and be eligible. When you are about 1 month from receiving your truck, go to Ford's website and order a Superduty brochure. Most brochures will have a $750 coupon in them, but they have a time limit on their use. I think the order boards are open as the 2018 order guides are out.

LBR

Ford had accepted our 2017 order on 9/14 and supplied dealer with our VIN. The order was placed only 7 days earlier with our dealer having a Super Duty allocation for September and is with the X- plan pricing. It is due to be built week of 10/9 with delivery dates here of either 11/6 or 11/12. That very well could have been the last day they pulled for '17 builds, as they also released the full gamit of options for '18s then....and is inline with the previous months stated 2018 order date of 9/15. Your dealer can print out those 2018 specs for you.

Main highlights for the F-450, they now will be available in a 4x2 also, rather than 4x4 only and with a Limited Series that is a top of the line such as the Platinum Series is. A Magna Red and Stone Gray color will be released with Caribou and Bronze Fire colors deleted.

The one big surprise we are aware of is our order was with the Black/Brunello interior....word from dealer is ours will have the '18 interior Black/Dark Marsala instead....well, at least it sound nice looking, but we will see!...haha

jbeletti

I have 1 x-plan pin left. If my son in law doesn't take it, I will let you know. You can also join the Mustang Club of America for $25 and be eligible. When you are about 1 month from receiving your truck, go to Ford's website and order a Superduty brochure. Most brochures will have a $750 coupon in them, but they have a time limit on their use. I think the order boards are open as the 2018 order guides are out.

Thanks Alan - I might be interested in your PIN if it's available when I need to order.

Oldelevatorman

If you have 100k, go for it. Probably be more than that I imagine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP_CS

Jim, I have X plan through my employer and have no plans on purchasing anything this year so my two pins are available.

Bones

Jim,
The ford are very nice. I curious as to your decision to not get the hauler bed. Have you considered another type of hitch? Also another questions on the 450's as well as the 4500's aren't they derated? On your 450 make sure to get the wide front axle for your tight turn radius.

jbeletti

Jim,
The ford are very nice. I curious as to your decision to not get the hauler bed. Have you considered another type of hitch? Also another questions on the 450's as well as the 4500's aren't they derated? On your 450 make sure to get the wide front axle for your tight turn radius.

Dave - the new trucks are SO expensive. While I love my hauler bed for all it's advantages to me, I need to save the $15k it adds.

The F450 is standard with the wide-track front axle. That's why I want to stick with it and is what I have now. My 550 before that had it as well.

As far as derating, do you mean HP and torque? If yes, I believe it's a paper-derate, not an actual derate - from what I've read on other forums.

Last edited: