Feedback wanted on new Pinbox and Hitch selections

jbeletti

Hi John,

So far, the FlexAir has been working out well. I also like the B&W. I think this is a good combination.

CoveredWagon

Hi Jim,
We have our new Bighorn 3870FB on order, will be picking up in April. I've never owned a 5th wheel before, and have been researching hitches, and trying to decide whether I should ask the dealer to change out the pinbox to a Flex Air before I pick it up. I'm also considering a B&W Companion for my F350 with the factory puck mounting system.

How has this combination worked for you? Anything you'd recommend instead?

Looking forward to getting out on the road in our new Bighorn!
John

77CC9165-4D38-41F9-8911-7E0BF4BA97A1.jpg

That and a Mor/ryde pinbox

dave10a

I'm looking closely at the new Blue Ox super ride https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/categories/Blue_Ox_Fifth_Wheel_Hitches,1688

I presently have the TrailAir which I am happy with, but the Blue Ox looks like a better hitch for my F350 Crew Cab SRW. The cost appears to be the same as my Trail Air, but is much lighter and appears to better for short beds and offers the same functionality. I plan on a new 2018 F350 with a gooseneck ball and this hitch will do the job.

CoveredWagon

You can't use a MOR/ryde pinbox with the pictured hitch.

BUT - I bet if enough people asked, MOR/ryde could do it.
All they would need to do is make a new gooseneck bottom plate. Four bolts and you're done.

Really? Seriously you can. Andersen supplies an adapter that fits over the king pin. I use the Andersen Ultimate with a Mor/ryde pin box. Couldn’t be easier lighter or simpler to install and hook up. Check several u tube videos.

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
Really? Seriously you can. Andersen supplies an adapter that fits over the king pin. I use the Andersen Ultimate with a Mor/ryde pin box. Couldn’t be easier lighter or simpler to install and hook up. Check several u tube videos.

I wasn't referring to the adapter, I was referring to straight up using the MR pin box. The only reason I brought it up is if enough of the users of the Anderson squawked to MOR/ryde, I'm sure you could get them to consider making a plate that replaces the standard bottom plate and eliminate the adapter. Since that plate is simply held on by four bolts it is relatively easy to make changes.

I did that when I purchased a Pullrite SUperGLide. got MOR/ryde to work on a straight up adapter for the Pullrite and they did. I had the prototype on our hitch.

CoveredWagon

I wasn't referring to the adapter, I was referring to straight up using the MR pin box. The only reason I brought it up is if enough of the users of the Anderson squawked to MOR/ryde, I'm sure you could get them to consider making a plate that replaces the standard bottom plate and eliminate the adapter. Since that plate is simply held on by four bolts it is relatively easy to make changes.

I did that when I purchased a Pullrite SUperGLide. got MOR/ryde to work on a straight up adapter for the Pullrite and they did. I had the prototype on our hitch.

As a side note, the adapter gives the user an additional few inches of clearance or whatever you’d call it by moving the king ping rearward which is an advantage in short bed or even standard box vehicles