Feedback wanted on new Pinbox and Hitch selections

jbeletti

Situation
I'm planning on getting a new truck. I have a MORryde pinbox and my current hitch is a Trailersaver TS3 which is in need of refurbishment (a few parts, grease, paint etc). My RV is an 18,000 pound, 43 foot Landmark Newport.

Goals
1. End up with the best riding "pinbox/hitch" configuration
2. End up with a configuration that requires minimal maintenance (air, grease etc).

Scenarios being considered

• Scenario 4: ??? Thoughts?

Wmnmy

Go with the Anderson lol I’ll have my first tow with it at the rally this month but know a few folks who have put 10,000 plus miles on it and love it . I am glad I can take it in and out by myself if need be and my husky with bedsaver was 310 pounds . Also congrats on new truck .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Go with the Anderson lol I’ll have my first tow with it at the rally this month but know a few folks who have put 10,000 plus miles on it and love it . I am glad I can take it in and out by myself if need be and my husky with bedsaver was 310 pounds . Also congrats on new truck .
Thanks for the feedback. I know all about 300#! My TS3 with Bedsaver is super heavy. In my last house, I added an electric hoist to the header above a garage door. Haven't had the hitch out in a couple years and haven't added a hoist at this house.

Been hearing a lot about Anderson Hitch. Do they make one that will connect up to the Ford 5th Wheel prep kit? Be nice to not have hitch rails :)

rxbristol

Jim, I will say I love my FlexAir over a previous Morryde pin box I had. Both were good, but I like the way the trailer just floats along down the road with the FlexAir.

Wmnmy

Yes the aluminum ultimate one does and bolts on to the ball in the bed of the truck . It's also 30 pounds .... I have the steel one its 40 pounds and I use the Reese rail system that works with the ford prep puck system.

dykesj11

I saw the Andersen at Alto Rally. George Speir had steel version towing Landmark. Garry Gilbert had aluminum. I already had a Companion that dropped in the gooseneck receiver in the bed. Got the aluminum model, dropped a ball in the receiver and dropped the Andersen on to the ball. I am not stretching the story when I say it went from box to installed in about ten minutes and that’s only because I had to read manual for the torque settings. I can lift it on to the bed one handed and have no hesitation removing it if I need the bed. Previously, I needed a pretty good reason to do so. I don’t have a FlexAir but think you will notice immediately a much smoother ride. There is no free play between the Andersen ball and the Andersen receiver on the hitch pin. It really made a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Another one for Anderson and if your through the Bay Area sometime you can use mine as I'm not going to be moving for awhile.

Bones

Situation
I'm planning on getting a new truck. I have a MORryde pinbox and my current hitch is a Trailersaver TS3 which is in need of refurbishment (a few parts, grease, paint etc). My RV is an 18,000 pound, 43 foot Landmark Newport.

Goals
1. End up with the best riding "pinbox/hitch" configuration
2. End up with a configuration that requires minimal maintenance (air, grease etc).

Scenarios being considered

• Scenario 4: ??? Thoughts?

Jim,
I vote for scenario 2. with scenario 3 you will have to lock out the head on the flex air Pinbox so it does not rotate. If Reese does not repair my hitch I am more than likely going to get an Anderson.

Az_Ernie

We have about 12K towing miles on our Andersen. We went from a PullRite Super Glide to the Andersen... it was like night and day! The Andersen hitch provides us with a chuck-free ride no matter the road conditions. With the ball design there is virtually no play in the truck to trailer hook-up. Hitching and unhitching is a cinch! For us, the best part is the ease of installing and removing the Andersen Hitch. Install and removal is a one man, 5 minute task. After each trip, the hitch is removed and hung on our garage wall for storage. It's nice having our truck bed back.

I'd go with option 2 first, then if you're not absolutely satisfied, look at replacing your pin box. We just have the standard Lippert pin box and are extremely pleased with the Andersen's performance. We've talked with numerous Andersen hitch owners and their experiances have been the same as ours. Probably the best upgrade we have made.

Ernie

jbeletti

Jim, I will say I love my FlexAir over a previous Morryde pin box I had. Both were good, but I like the way the trailer just floats along down the road with the FlexAir.
Hi Rex - thanks for the Flex Air testimonial. From what I am now understanding, some feature of the Flex Air needs to be locked out to use it with the Andersen hitch. If one is committed to the Andersen hitch, seems to be a bit wasteful to also buy a Flex Air only to negate a feature on it. That's what I'm thinking right now.

CoveredWagon

Is it too late chime in?

I have #2 and love the ease of operation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the ease of hitching and I guess unhitching too. And that 5 minute installation, well I haven't been that quick yet, but I always have a cup of coffee 1/2 way through. Don't forget the safety chains they are the law in some states.

They have two systems for mounting if I remembor correctly. I have the Ultimate unit which mounts to a gooseneck ball in the truck. I ordered my truck with Chevys 5th wheel gooseneck package so I had options. With the gooseneck it truly is a 5 minute install. If you haven't already done so look at their web site, and if you have any questions about the bed height on the new Ford I suggest giving them a call. They are very helpful.

Oh and the tongue rating on the Ultimate is 4500 lbs and the draw weight is 24500 lbs. (if I remember correctly).

jbeletti

Is it too late chime in?

I have #2 and love the ease of operation. One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the ease of hitching and I guess unhitching too. And that 5 minute installation, well I haven't been that quick yet, but I always have a cup of coffee 1/2 way through. Don't forget the safety chains they are the law in some states.

They have two systems for mounting if I remembor correctly. I have the Ultimate unit which mounts to a gooseneck ball in the truck. I ordered my truck with Chevys 5th wheel gooseneck package so I had options. With the gooseneck it truly is a 5 minute install. If you haven't already done so look at their web site, and if you have any questions about the bed height on the new Ford I suggest giving them a call. They are very helpful.

Oh and the tongue rating on the Ultimate is 4500 lbs and the draw weight is 24500 lbs. (if I remember correctly).

Not too late. Will be months before I'm into anything new.

Curious on the safety chains. I do understand the requirement with using a gooseneck hitch and likely, using a 5th wheel hitch that is anchored in the truck bed to a gooseneck ball.

I have 2 questions in this area:

1. When using the gooseneck attachment system, the hooks/rings/whatever that the chains connect to at the bed, do those come out easily for a flush bed floor?

2. If NOT using the gooseneck attachment system, rather, using the puck/bedrail system, I assume no safety chains needed - is this correct?

WillyBill

Jim,

IMHO once you use a Flex Air pin box you'll never settle for anything else - Hitch preference aside. Just Say'in....

WB

dykesj11

The chain rings, when not in use drop into the low rows of the bed and flush with high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dykesj11

The chain rings were part of the gooseneck prep. I wanted to be able to use the gooseneck for other trailers. The chains are required for true gooseneck trailers but I guess there is debate on whether the Andersen has to have it. I have them - they have snap hooks on both ends and are easy to use but I don’t use them with the 5er. And if you don’t want/need the gooseneck, I understand the puck system is just as easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DMaxRocks

Jim,

To throw in another option, how about the Reese Goosebox hitch. It is an air ride coupler that replaces the factory pin box. This set up does not require an 5th wheel hitch, just the goose neck ball. I am seriously contemplating this set up on my next 5er since I do tow a goose-neck trailer.

Just food for thought!

-Mark