ATF: Prowler - Request Info on P255 Backup Camera Bracket Power

Greetings. Very new owner of 2017 Prowler P255. It came wired for a Furrion backup camera, has the bracket under the rear center running lamp. It appears that the backup camera is powered all the time, not wired to the running lights. Can you provide where the backup camera bracket is powered from? Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi dlthompson896,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you don't get an answer soon, I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Oregon_Camper

Some have found the 15amp (10amp?) fuse needed to be installed in the area around the busbar and batteries. Mine did not come pre-wired....and I'm glad it didn't. If you use the pre-wired solution, the camera will have power all the time.

By just tapping into the marker lights right above the camera bracket, you will only send power to the camera when you're driving and have your lights on.

The camera a LOT of folks on here install is the Furrion "Observation". This model allows you to have the camera on while driving vs. other model(s) that only comes on when in "reverse"

Install will take way less than 30 mins. Took me about 20 mins the first time, and I could do it in about 10 mins now that I've done it once.

Link to Furrion camera on Amazon

71ZIa9e77qL._SL1500_.jpg

Mine was wired to the top center marker light. it was wired backwards got that fixed. It fades in and out and did some research you need to have the antenna pointing straight up. also a voltage test at the light source it was less than 9 volts at that point. Got the marker lights changed to LEDs and put it to 11.5 volts. It wont fade now.

( =Oregon_Camper;565206]Some have found the 15amp (10amp?) fuse needed to be installed in the area around the busbar and batteries. Mine did not come pre-wired....and I'm glad it didn't. If you use the pre-wired solution, the camera will have power all the time.

By just tapping into the marker lights right above the camera bracket, you will only send power to the camera when you're driving and have your lights on.

The camera a LOT of folks on here install is the Furrion "Observation". This model allows you to have the camera on while driving vs. other model(s) that only comes on when in "reverse"

Install will take way less than 30 mins. Took me about 20 mins the first time, and I could do it in about 10 mins now that I've done it once.

Link to Furrion camera on Amazon

View attachment 54813[/QUOTE]

thought I would post the final reply to this thread and the results of the query. The factory never responded to the question posted here "Ask the Factory" section, so I called Heartland Customer Service. The customer service rep was helpful and professional, but was not able to supply any information. He did commit to querying the factory engineering for an answer, and called back several days later with the answer that the factory does not have any standard protocol for wiring the backup camera bracket, so there is no factory documentation available. I do give the Heartland customer service rep points for trying. But, no help. So! Here is what I did.

I removed the camera bracket and identified that the supply wiring was "green stripe", which I "think" is for compartment lighting. (I did not remove the cover of the electrical panel to verify wiring color). I did confirm that the camera bracket is powered full time, so it's not supplied from the running lights.

I have a video inspection camera, and identified an access way between the outer shell and inner wall to behind the microwave (RV layout is rear wall kitchen). Using a long wire tie as a fish-tape, I was able to run a two lead wire from the back of the camera bracket to the alcove behind the microwave. I mounted a push-button on-off switch in the alcove with the push-button in an open storage cavity above the microwave alcove. So now the camera power is switchable.

Thanks, Dewey

Oregon_Camper

..... I mounted a push-button on-off switch in the alcove with the push-button in an open storage cavity above the microwave alcove. So now the camera power is switchable.

Wow...I have to give you high props for that wiring job! :)

One question, do you plan on using the camera/monitor while you are inside the RV?

The reason I ask, is I know myself, and I would forget to turn the power on via the switch inside the RV, until I was all hooked up and ready to go. That is why I went with taking power from the marker lights...it is "idiot proof" (and I need that level of support :cool:) as I always drive with my market lights on.

Wow...I have to give you high props for that wiring job! :)

One question, do you plan on using the camera/monitor while you are inside the RV?

The reason I ask, is I know myself, and I would forget to turn the power on via the switch inside the RV, until I was all hooked up and ready to go. That is why I went with taking power from the marker lights...it is "idiot proof" (and I need that level of support :cool:) as I always drive with my market lights on.

Oregon:

Fair enough question. Yes, I had a choice to wire to the running lights or to install a switch. Had the unit been wired to the running lights, I would have likely left it that way, as that choice meets the primary objective, keep the camera off line when the unit is stored to reduce battery drain.

Given that the power is always supplied to the wire feeding the backup camera bracket, the desire to be able to use the camera display from inside the RV seemed to me to be useful. I did think about whether the switch would be a "forget" issue, (and I suspect that it will indeed be forgotten on occasion), but then there are always gas station stops.

Dewey

Oregon_Camper

Oregon:

Fair enough question. Yes, I had a choice to wire to the running lights or to install a switch. Had the unit been wired to the running lights, I would have likely left it that way, as that choice meets the primary objective, keep the camera off line when the unit is stored to reduce battery drain.

Given that the power is always supplied to the wire feeding the backup camera bracket, the desire to be able to use the camera display from inside the RV seemed to me to be useful. I did think about whether the switch would be a "forget" issue, (and I suspect that it will indeed be forgotten on occasion), but then there are always gas station stops.

Dewey

If you ever decide you don't like the physical switch inside the RV, you might consider swapping to a wireless (12v / 15amp) switch. I use this for the reverse lights I installed on the back of our RV. (that VLOG is still in progress...should be ready soon)

Nice this about this switch is it comes with 2 remotes. One for inside truck and one for inside RV. That way you can turn it on wherever you are.

Link to Wireless Switch on Amazon.

41FB2uLDqHL.jpg