Newport Battery Questions

roswald

Planning to buy a 2018 Newport

Wondering:
1. How many batteries do they come with?

2. Are they sufficient for a day or two full unit operation with no other power source?

3. Can more be added?

thanks

danemayer

Hi roswald,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Landmark 365 units come standard with a residential refrigerator that runs on 120V AC only. When not on shore power, the batteries (2 standard), provide power to a dedicated inverter that supplies power to the refrigerator.

You can probably keep the refrigerator running for a day without shore power, along with some LED lighting, water pump, and power to the water heater circuit board (with water heater set to run on propane). If it's cold and you're running the furnace, the blower draws quite a bit of battery power, so you'll draw down the batteries much faster.

You can add batteries - some people have 4 batteries. If regularly boon docking, you may also want to consider a rooftop solar installation to keep the batteries charged. And of course a generator is another option. A few hours of generator run time may keep your batteries charged for the day.

roswald

Thanks for the quick response

have been wondering why dealers seem to be reluctant to recommend adding a generator. Seem to seep away from them, at least around Tampa area

other than initial cost, what is downside to adding/having a generator?

danemayer

The on-board Onan 5500 generator adds to pin weight and takes away from your weight capacity to load the rig with other things. Landmark 365 uses the propane generator. When I kept our rig in a storage site, I exercised the generator monthly, getting the additional benefit of charging the batteries.

It's much easier for the factory to install the generator because it goes in very early in the build process. Adding it locally is more difficult and not every dealer tech is familiar with generator installation.

An on board generator makes it convenient to stop at a rest area while on the road and fire up the microwave to heat up lunch. And we've occasionally used it to run the air conditioning.

We did 6 extended ski trips in the Colorado mountains, with overnight temps usually below 0 (F). Given that the tank heaters and fireplace run on 120V AC, it's really handy to have an on board generator when there's a power outage in sub-zero weather.

esscobra

if you have gen prep on unit - generator install is fairly easy- you will need some 8-10 gauge battery cables,ends, ( amazon $25 ) and if propane maybe a line or two- and install is fairly easy - like 4 wires to hook up with wire nuts to coach, the control has snap together plug, hardest part is sliding unit into coach - but 3 guys can do it- a few leveling boards and not any major issues- I added a separate gas tank in place of one of the propane tanks, a generator is a must for us. If it were me- especially if going into landmark- I would add after and get the 6500 if going propane- you will appreciate the extra watts- I put a 7000k efi unit and can run everything and power to spare - - the generator you will pay a premium for gen from factory - yes they get better deal -but they mark up and dealer marks up- and you can order o cheaper-

danemayer

The Landmark 365 comes with a Precision Control System that manages electrical loads. I think it's programmed such that when it detects the generator is supplying power, it manages power to that supplied by the Onan 5500, which is what Heartland installs. That means when you are pulling more than 5500 watts, it'll start shedding loads and you may not get much, if any benefit from having a 6500 watt generator.

I don't know if there's any way to override that programming.

Bighorn doesn't have the Precision Control System, so that's a different story.

roswald

Great Intel Guys--Thanks

Dealer quotes about $7k for the Onan 5500 added at dealer. So, it is a bit high (Can find the Onan for about $3,800) but that may be a bit negotiable and Presume covered by them, including the install

Next Up--What is "best" Truck to buy. I know it has to be a dually, but not sure if GMC/Chevy or Ram or Ford. Seems like current models are very close in spec'd abilities. May buy new or look for a year of two old "creampuff"

--Any thoughts? Start a new thread?
--Suspect this becomes a very personal item/choice.

travlingman

Have you considered putting a 30 amp plug in at the front and hooking up portable generator. Be a whole lot cheaper, leaves front compartment open for storage and then you could use the portables for something else when needed.

As far as trucks. Go drive all 3 and see which one fits your butt the best. All 3 are good trucks, all have features that are brand specific.

danemayer

Great Intel Guys--Thanks

Dealer quotes about $7k for the Onan 5500 added at dealer. So, it is a bit high (Can find the Onan for about $3,800) but tthhat may be a bit negotiable and Presume covered by them, including the install

If you're ordering a Landmark 365, Heartland will install the generator at the factory - MSRP of $6,350. And like the MSRP on the trailer, there's room to negotiate a lower price.

davidaf

We had a battery box built in the normal battery location for better venting. It can hold six 6-volt T-105s. We have 4 currently, i believe it came with two 12v but the dealer removed them before we took delivery. When our 4 die we may put 6 in. Like the generator it's a weight vs reward question. We boondock maybe 4 weeks out of the year. Not sure i want to give up another 150lbs to batteries or 250lb for a generator. It's a bit of a pain to go out and start a portable gen when i need power but I'd rather not have the extra weight 100% of the time. The generators stay in the truck tool box so they are always with me when needed. For that same weight or less I was able to add Laundry and a dish washer which i get a ton of use out of all year long.

JandL

if you have gen prep on unit - generator install is fairly easy- you will need some 8-10 gauge battery cables,ends, ( amazon $25 ) and if propane maybe a line or two- and install is fairly easy - like 4 wires to hook up with wire nuts to coach, the control has snap together plug, hardest part is sliding unit into coach - but 3 guys can do it- a few leveling boards and not any major issues- I added a separate gas tank in place of one of the propane tanks, a generator is a must for us. If it were me- especially if going into landmark- I would add after and get the 6500 if going propane- you will appreciate the extra watts- I put a 7000k efi unit and can run everything and power to spare - - the generator you will pay a premium for gen from factory - yes they get better deal -but they mark up and dealer marks up- and you can order o cheaper-

I ordered our Big Horn with gen prep. Hope to find a good used Onan 6500. Glad to hear that it will be easy to install. Always good to find rv's that have information that is needed.

Following-Thanks
Jerry D.
Big Horn 3870 FB
2013 Silverado 3500 Dually

roswald

I have had others recommend getting a portable rather than the permanent install

really wan to be able to run the air if needed on generator, so will have to figure out if portable will Work for that

we gat our Newport next Monday

got a 2018 Silverado Hi C DRW to pull it

should be a good rig