Direct TV carry out satilite

carl.swoyer

So I have been dealing with code 771 For months. Called Wingard and they told me to test the DC voltage. Between 13 to 18 volts is what I need coming out of the cable to the antenna/dish. I had that! Still 771
So I tested the power cable and it was supplying inconsistent power . So I purchased a new power cord $55.00 delivered. Plugged it in and by the time I got inside the satilite locked on TV was running and the picture quality was incredible.
So I thought I'd share this moment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Carl,

what model of of Winegard do you have? And what model of receiver?
H 25-100 direct TV box and a Wingard in motion satilite. I am also using the swm adapter so the receiver can communicate with the satilite.

Garypowell

Carl,

Thanks....I guess your problem is not my problem. Not sure of your model dish but I have the Winegard G2+. Bought it after our model 1518 broke. Started having trouble with 771 error right away on our Genie Gen 2 HR44-500. It kept saying "lost satellite signal 1" and part of the screen was continually obliterated. The error would not show up on our H25-500 in the bedroom.

Trouble shot the issue with DirecTV and Winegard. And even though nice....Winegard stopped returning my calls. Mainly because it is "their fault". Of course "their Fault" can be interpreted differently. It seems that DirecTV in their pursuit of better things set up the DVR's such that they need 3 heads. The Winegard G2+ (just like the 1518 we had) only can handle two channels of information....not three. This is the source of the error in "can't find one signal"....it is just not there since it is only a two headed system.

As I narrowed down the problem and started to point this out to Winegard....that's when they stopped communicating. I understand developing a product and then having the company that it works with change their format.....but it would seem best to recognize this and set up some work around within their electronics to accomodate the problem. In fact after I started working with them they pulled the list of receivers their auto dishes would work with.

I finally figured out my own work around. Since the HR25 is a simpler unit it does not get the error message. So we put it in the living room with the main TV.....so we can watch live things with no error on the screen. If we want to watch live things in the bedroom, which is when this error message shows up, we first start taping it on the DVR. Then watch the recording.....on the recording this error message does not come through....go figure.

Anyway....sorry to steal your thread but always curious if others have run into my problem.

carl.swoyer

Carl,

Thanks....I guess your problem is not my problem. Not sure of your model dish but I have the Winegard G2+. Bought it after our model 1518 broke. Started having trouble with 771 error right away on our Genie Gen 2 HR44-500. It kept saying "lost satellite signal 1" and part of the screen was continually obliterated. The error would not show up on our H25-500 in the bedroom.

Trouble shot the issue with DirecTV and Winegard. And even though nice....Winegard stopped returning my calls. Mainly because it is "their fault". Of course "their Fault" can be interpreted differently. It seems that DirecTV in their pursuit of better things set up the DVR's such that they need 3 heads. The Winegard G2+ (just like the 1518 we had) only can handle two channels of information....not three. This is the source of the error in "can't find one signal"....it is just not there since it is only a two headed system.

As I narrowed down the problem and started to point this out to Winegard....that's when they stopped communicating. I understand developing a product and then having the company that it works with change their format.....but it would seem best to recognize this and set up some work around within their electronics to accomodate the problem. In fact after I started working with them they pulled the list of receivers their auto dishes would work with.

I finally figured out my own work around. Since the HR25 is a simpler unit it does not get the error message. So we put it in the living room with the main TV.....so we can watch live things with no error on the screen. If we want to watch live things in the bedroom, which is when this error message shows up, we first start taping it on the DVR. Then watch the recording.....on the recording this error message does not come through....go figure.

Anyway....sorry to steal your thread but always curious if others have run into my problem.
These are the two items that I have to use to make my h25 compatible ( communication) with my satilite. I purchased them from the internet for about 70 bucks. I think the company was the satilite guys.
ef4d45055c3596c877506ca8657f3b9e.jpg

carl.swoyer

These are the two items that I have to use to make my h25 compatible ( communication) with my satilite. I purchased them from the internet for about 70 bucks. I think the company was the satilite guys.
ef4d45055c3596c877506ca8657f3b9e.jpg

Oops didn't get the 2 nd photo to attach.
080daeae1f8bcd0d23bc99dc81e933c7.jpg

avvidclif

That setup will allow up to 8 H25's, one per TV. Just make sure any unused ports have a load on them.

Oh, my dish only has one head and is made for the HD SWM setup. Three heads is the old style.

SNOKING

I have been using the SWM system for a number of years with lots of self setup systems. I have found that the low port count splitters work better than the higher ones like the 8 port ones. I have also found the removing power from the receiver works better than the RED button.

Also HD TV needs quad shielded cable with very good connectors installed for good performance.

This is the tool I use.

f5a0eae5-a230-4b8c-b101-07e2b270a05c_1.dfdb385f34ebf76772dc447ef68e846f.jpeg

Chris

Garypowell

I have a SWM set up with a standard SWM box and power inserter. But I also have this new box with the G2+.

You can see the SWM and Power Inserter behind this new box.

In reality it is probably not "new". With the 1518 we had you had to open the top of the case of the dish to switch from Dish to DirecTV. Now it is done in this box....not sure what else goes on inside this new box.

The real problem starts with DirecTV in that they now require (in their higher end receivers) that you have either 3 heads or 5. Winegard, to date, has failed to come up with a work around since they only have a 2 headed system. Hence the error I get.

Attachments

• New box.jpg
    New box.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 33

SNOKING

Note on 771 code. We are in Snowflake, Az and there was a SWM dish abandoned in the RV site they gave us. Yesterday I asked DTV to change my address to Gold Canyon, Az which is our Winter Home so we would be ready when we got there. It came up with 771 on local channels, however the upper (above 200) channels worked. So I went online and refresh the receiver and got the Phoenix locals.

Direct TV spot beams their signal in different regions.

Directv is pretty good about switching locations twice a year, some say more. I do the address change in a Chat session with them.

So 771 on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and other channels that are spot beamed means you are outside the spot beam, and either have to get them to change your address or get Distant Network Service which give mobile users either LA or NY locals. Chris

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Note on 771 code. We are in Snowflake, Az and there was a SWM dish abandoned in the RV site they gave us. Yesterday I asked DTV to change my address to Gold Canyon, Az which is our Winter Home so we would be ready when we got there. It came up with 771 on local channels, however the upper (above 200) channels worked. So I went online and refresh the receiver and got the Phoenix locals.

Direct TV spot beams their signal in different regions.

Directv is pretty good about switching locations twice a year, some say more. I do the address change in a Chat session with them.

So 771 on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and other channels that are spot beamed means you are outside the spot beam, and either have to get them to change your address or get Distant Network Service which give mobile users either LA or NY locals. Chris
I don't have an Rv direct TV account. I simply take a h25 box from my house. So for me using local channels is always from my home in Spring Hill Florida. I've heard the RV account is a bit more expensive. ?

SNOKING

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So if you got to Dallas, TX, for example, you still get your locals?
If you stay in only FL you should be good.
The guide will always have your locals listed but you should not actually be able to view the channels.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Landed in Gainesville, FL and turned on the system. As expected did not get local Orlando stations. So called DirecTV and had them move my address from previous spot to our Melbourne, FL address. They refreshed the system and I started getting Orlando Stations.....we have always been able to get them in Gainesville since the spot beam is that large.

The crazy thing is my 771 error has not shown up. I had it before we left four months ago...which is why we went through a bunch of gyrations.

Now really puzzled....but we are not leaving again for 6 months....so I won't have to worry about it for a while and as previously stated have a work around anyway.

To answer why someone ALWAYS gets their local stations....if their home address is in the NY City area.....or the Los Angeles area....those are the two locations whose programs are broadcast everywhere for the DNS (distant network services) use.

What we did to solve the problem of getting DNS approval slowly when we left Florida in June was give DirecTV a Flanders, NJ address....this allowed us to see those NY City local stations no matter where we were sitting. But it also seems to be at the root of why I get that persistent 771 error. But as said before.....not going to worry about it for a while.

carl.swoyer

So if you got to Dallas, TX, for example, you still get your locals?
If you stay in only FL you should be good.
The guide will always have your locals listed but you should not actually be able to view the channels.

Peace
Dave
Dave ,
Yes where ever I am in the us I get all channels to include my local FL stations. And I have always been able to view the local stations. Been doing it since 07. Even back then using a manual satilite dish.

danemayer

Dave ,
Yes where ever I am in the us I get all channels to include my local FL stations. And I have always been able to view the local stations. Been doing it since 07. Even back then using a manual satilite dish.

Carl,

Do you mean when 1500 miles away you get network programming like what's on your Florida channels (DNS service), or are you actually saying you're watching the Florida TV stations from 1500 miles away?

carl.swoyer

Carl,

Do you mean when 1500 miles away you get network programming like what's on your Florida channels (DNS service), or are you actually saying you're watching the Florida TV stations from 1500 miles away?
I'm saying,
When I am home I get channels xyz. When I travel anywhere in the us I get channels xyz and see the broadcast just like home. I have a residential direct TV service not a Rv travel service. So they don't know if I'm home or in Kansas

Garypowell

Carl,

no matter how you have it don’t call Directv about anything! You will more than likely loose what you have. Looking up Spring Hill you should be in the Orlando cone. I am in Gainesville and can see Orlando stations. Might not have been able to in 2007.

Back to to my problem the error 771 showed up again while watching the Cubs game last night. So I am back to my original theory that my new Winegard P2+ with only 2 heads throws this error since my DVR can only accept 3 or 5 heads.

When end we get home I am going to set up the big 3 headed dish I have and test the theory. If correct the error will go away.