Washer & Dryer Use

roswald

Wondering how many full timers have/use in-Coach washers and dryers vs. just using the laundromats at the parks?

They add weight and take up space. Some coaches, Like the Newport or Oshkosh, add a separate space that does not take away from the main closet

What about a washer/dryer combo unit? Any comments on having that type for small loads/space conservation?

Thanks--Look forward to your experiences and comments.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Washer & Dryer Use

Wondering how many full timers have/use in-Coach washers and dryers vs. just using the laundromats at the parks?

They add weight and take up space. Some coaches, Like the Newport or Oshkosh, add a separate space that does not take away from the main closet

What about a washer/dryer combo unit? Any comments on having that type for small loads/space conservation?

Thanks--Look forward to your experiences and comments.

We are fulltimers and use a Splendide vented combo. We have a separate closet for the W/D which could hold a stackable, but our previous rig only had room for a combo. We moved it over from our previous.

We are semi-permanent in that we don't move much due to husband's job. Our rv park does not have laundry. I tried using the nearby town laundromat, but didn't much care for the time, expense and questionable patrons I encountered.

The combo is much smaller than a standard. I do about 3-4 loads on Monday and 3-4 loads on Tuesday and sometimes some on Wednesday to get our weekly wash done for the two of us. A load = up to 5-6 shirts XL and 2X, or 3 pair of jeans, or 3-4 pair of shorts, or two XL bath towels and 2 hand towels, or one king sheet and pillowcases, or one week of underwear and socks. So you see it can take a while. I work from home so it doesn't bother me.

When we travel, it depends on the situation. We have used park facilities to hurry up and get it all done at once if they have enough free machines, and to wash bulky items like our comforter or blankets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Erika

Great response--thank you

What is typical time per load?

Rich

I use the "quick wash" cycle for most loads which is I think 20 or 25 minutes. Other wash cycles are longer. Dry time varies depending on what the load is but usually I set to 60 min.

mlpeloquin

We also have the Splendid washer/dryer combo. Always use close softener and never go to automatic dry from the wash cycle. Do not get the ventless unit unless you want several hours to dry your wash load with it still being slightly damp. Always take the load out, shake them and put them back in to dry to help eliminate wrinkles. Use the lowest heat setting. It works well. Never dry shirts in the dryer, but shake them and hang them up. They don't take long to dry in the rig. We also use plastic washer balls and wool dryer balls. It helps the get the load to move in the small drum. The combo washer/dryer does a very good job. Instead of loading up with close for a trip, we now take eight days worth. We have found that Costco laundry soap pods are easy to use, store, and cleans the laundry well.

TravelTiger

We also have the Splendid washer/dryer combo. Always use close softener and never go to automatic dry from the wash cycle. Do not get the ventless unit unless you want several hours to dry your wash load with it still being slightly damp. Always take the load out, shake them and put them back in to dry to help eliminate wrinkles. Use the lowest heat setting. It works well. Never dry shirts in the dryer, but shake them and hang them up. They don't take long to dry in the rig. We also use plastic washer balls and wool dryer balls. It helps the get the load to move in the small drum. The combo washer/dryer does a very good job. Instead of loading up with close for a trip, we now take eight days worth. We have found that Costco laundry soap pods are easy to use, store, and cleans the laundry well.

I use wool dryer balls, and use Softener and lowest heat setting except for jeans, towels. Run wash cycle, then run dry cycle, separately. I have found a squirt bottle with just water sprayed on warm clothes with wrinkles will relax the wrinkles. (I was buying Downey Wrinkle Release, but found water does the same thing!)

dave10a

We had a Splendide Combo in our previous RV. And now we have splendide stackable. We will never go back to the combo because they simply take too long to wash and dry. One note of caution the Splendide dryer is very noisy. I don't know if it our unit or they are all noisy. I will consider an alternative to Splendide for my next RV because of the dryer fan noise.....

As far as trucks are concerned, it depends on the year. Ford is top tier in 2017 and Ram, Ford and GM were top tier off and on in previous years. If you are a brand loyalist then it doesn't matter because you have already made your mind up. Emotion seems to be how many make a decision. However, Ford designs and mfg the major components in house these days so it is easy for them to keep ahead in technology rather than going outside.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We spend most of the summer at our rig and have a Splendide combo in the front closet. Although we have plenty of clothes with us, we still will wash socks, undies and some t-shirts. The wife hangs hers in the shower on a PVC rack I made for her. Me, I just fold my shirts flat, working out the wrinkles and call it good. In the local restaurants and shops, they don't care about the wrinkles in my cash, so I doubt the ones in my clothes matter much.

If need be, we do have a small ironing board and steam iron for our "dressier" duds.

danemayer

We were about 1/2 time, with 16 months of full time use. All told about 1300 nights in our rig. We've got the Splendide stackable units and probably run about 6 small loads per week. So I'd guess we've run over 1000 loads.

It's very convenient to run laundry while doing other things, rather than sit at the laundromat.

roswald

All good info

I am starting to infer a couple of things

1. The simpler the lifestyle the better.

2. RV living leads to a simpler lifestyle

3. Many RV'rs have pets. We have a Golden Retriever--LTD (Leif, the Dog)

4. RV'rs all very friendly and helpful

Thanks to all

Cholo

All good info

I am starting to infer a couple of things

1. The simpler the lifestyle the better.

2. RV living leads to a simpler lifestyle

3. Many RV'rs have pets. We have a Golden Retriever--LTD (Leif, the Dog)

4. RV'rs all very friendly and helpful

Thanks to all

Yes
Yes
Yes
and Yes!

We ordered the stackable washer and dryer and had dealer install them. My wife loves them. Although most of the places we have gone have a washers and dryers, we prefer it in our RV. Did not like the people hanging out at the local laundry. My only issue is, when I'm sitting watching TV I don't hear them. They do however, shake a little and I always ask my wife if she is doing laundry so I'm not thinking it is a California earthquake!!

Note about washer dryer install: make sure it is vented to the outside and securely mounted. Some RV owners have had issues with them falling out during travel.

southernlady5464

We had a stackable installed in our rig when we bought for full timing. I do not like using laundromats. I will admit they are faster but I prefer to do it in our rig.

MTPockets

We travelled full-time five years and went the route of no laundry on board. We kept two plastic laundry hampers and did laundry about every two weeks. In about 2 1/2 hrs at Laundromat, all washed, dried, and folded with both of us helping. Laundry done and no thought of tending machine for another two weeks. I kept all laundry detergent, softeners, etc in the truck bed storage container so it was always ready. This worked very well for us, never a problem planning a laundry stop; we could do lunch while drying or read, or run other errands. I wouln’t Have it any other way....

Seren

We also FT for the last 3 1/2 yrs. Landmark with stackable W/D. Pro: convenience, convenience, convenience! We love them!
Cons: extra weight, loads need be smaller than full size washer (not really a problem for just 2 ppl). Bulky items still need to be washed at a laundry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I have the stackable in the San Antonio its right by the door. I thought it would be pretty cool having full timed for the last two years and going to the mat. After one load in the washer and started the dryer I was a bit disappointed in it as it's crazy loud. I guess if you don't have facilities close it's awesome but I have a mat down the street with a Mexican restaurant close.
Being a guy I stuff a weeks worth of clothes in one wash for $4 and in the 30min I go eat and come back with 2-3min to spare. Split into 2 dryers and .75 each gets me 20min and everything is dry.
Wash, dry and lunch in less than an hour.
When I was in Miami for two years I just dropped my stuff at the mat and I paid a nice lady $1lb (I usually had 15-20lbs a week and come back in couple hours where she had washed, dried and hung all my shirts on hangers with plastic covers ready for me. I wish I had that here.

rxbristol

We full-time and have stackable units. The extra weight and cost are well worth it for the convenience. If you get the stackable, get the Splendide brand. They're made in England and are very durable. Over the last few years we've done about 2,000 loads and the temp sensor on the dryer just went bad. Easy to locate and troubleshoot (Splendide technical support helped me troubleshoot the problem). The parts are easily ordered and replaced yourself.