AC / heat pump good or not so?

jnutt

Can anyone help with info on ac heat pump units, are they worth the extra cost?

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim

I'll give you my 2 cents
We have 2 of them and really never use them. Being in California we don't really use a lot of heat and the fireplace provides most of it for us.. If it is that cold I'll usually use the furnace because i wan't the heat to start at the floor and let it rise. I also find the heat pumps to be very loud and annoying. I guess in the summer for AC cooling were OK with it.
However I'm glad we have them. If we were to run out of propane or the furnace were to quit we'd have them as backup.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

RoadJunkie

I cannot advise on whether or not heat pumps will be "worth it" for you, but we love and use ours as the primary go-to method of heat for temps above 40 degrees. Like the air conditioners, the effectiveness of keeping a balanced temperature is to circulate the air, we use a couple of small fans. We leave the living room unit on at night (we blocked the vent connection between front and rear) and then wake up to a toasty area. I would buy them again.

SLO

I'm with Jerrod. We have two heat pumps and usually use the furnace as well. I find when it's cold in the morning the furnace heats up the trailer much much quicker. If it's cold enough the heat pumps don't heat up the basement and underbelly. But, sometime the heat pumps are sufficient and I don't have to use the propane. I'm glad I have the heat pumps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donr827

I'm with Jerrod. We have two heat pumps and usually use the furnace as well. I find when it's cold in the morning the furnace heats up the trailer much much quicker. If it's cold enough the heat pumps don't heat up the basement and underbelly. But, sometime the heat pumps are sufficient and I don't have to use the propane. I'm glad I have the heat pumps too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X2
Don

vakthund

We have the heat pump option and in 5 years have used it once. It seems effective to me only down to about 40 degrees. Below that you will likely use the furnace and anything above 50 you probably don''t need heat. So, it you camp a lot in fall and or early spring where the temperature is in the 40 - 50 and you camp at sites that includes electric in the price then heat pump is worth it. I will not order it on my next camper (which my wife says is never.)

Erik

Bob Vaughn

Back in may we had trouble with our Dometic A/C so we opted to go with the Atwood Heat Pump.....the A/C works good but a few weeks back it got into the 40's at night so I turned it on.....it did not work as advertised....It would run a couple of minutes then shut off...and cycle on an off all night never affecting the temp inside the camper. I could not get the furnace to come on.....So after the mobile guy that installed it came and checked it he could not determine what was wrong and I had to take it to his shop. After 2 days of tinkering with it he still does not know what is wrong with it. I think I made a mistake getting the heat pump but maybe if he gets it fixed and it works maybe I will change my mind......

esscobra

so much nicer setting thermostat to auto - and when you leave its 80 and come home that night to the 40s and heat is already on- much better using the electric you pay for than finding more propane- now when its going to freeze- yeah use furnace and protect underbelly - but for southern states the heat pumps are great- and im so glad I ordered both units .

Bob Vaughn

so much nicer setting thermostat to auto - and when you leave its 80 and come home that night to the 40s and heat is already on- much better using the electric you pay for than finding more propane- now when its going to freeze- yeah use furnace and protect underbelly - but for southern states the heat pumps are great- and im so glad I ordered both units .
This is a fine testament but mine has a mind of its own and does what it wants to do, not what I want it to do.....

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders

Jim

I have two heat pumps and love them. As long as temps are in the high 30s or more they sure save a lot of propane and keep the coach really cozy. Freezing or below, I use two small ceramic heaters along with occasionally the fireplace and keep the coach nice and warm still without using propane. I installed an inline 4" duct fan behind the front storage area that draws heated air from inside the coach via the furnace vent in the bedroom steps and blows it into the underbelly. If the temps get low enough that the ceramic heaters can not keep the coach at 68 to 70, then the propane furnace kicks in. This usually has been around 5 to 10 degrees or so outside depending on wind. All without any skirting.

Ricky

NHCelt

It is a must-have for us. We use the fireplace for heat when in the living room as it is quiet. Generally, we use the heat pump for heat overnight and when we are out somewhere. The furnace is reserved for temps in the 30's.

jjwink

We have 3 units on our 35’ Syracuse-2 a/c’s in living area and heat pump in bedroom. The heat pump will only run for 45/60 seconds and then shuts off. It is very loud. Doesn’t seem to put out any heat. Any suggestions what to look at?

Bob Vaughn

We have 3 units on our 35’ Syracuse-2 a/c’s in living area and heat pump in bedroom. The heat pump will only run for 45/60 seconds and then shuts off. It is very loud. Doesn’t seem to put out any heat. Any suggestions what to look at?
If it is an Atwood take it to the dump.....they are junk and there is no customer service .....
:mad: