Outside tread wearing on all fours

akrebel

We have been on the road for 17 months and have put about 30k miles on our Sailun ST 235/85R16 S637 original tires. All four tires are showing the same wear on the outside tread - almost gone. The rest of the tread is good. Pics attached.

Axel issue? Any ideas?

Attachments

• CE8BA145-CF1C-43F3-A188-4AF9EC526EC5.jpg
    CE8BA145-CF1C-43F3-A188-4AF9EC526EC5.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 81B2B5F1-28C2-4DC9-98AB-EE59EAB5A7CF.jpg
    81B2B5F1-28C2-4DC9-98AB-EE59EAB5A7CF.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 84
B

BouseBill

TOE is probably off and camber, ours was doing the same, just had the alignment cked and axles bent to fix the problem.
Toe set to 0 and camber to 15 degrees, From the factory toe was off by 3/16 and camber was at 25 degrees causing all four tires to wear the outside tread off.

SNOKING

We have been on the road for 17 months and have put about 30k miles on our Sailun ST 235/85R16 S637 original tires. All four tires are showing the same wear on the outside tread - almost gone. The rest of the tread is good. Pics attached.

Axel issue? Any ideas?

I you are saying only one side(outside) is worn on each tire, then post #2 is on track. If both the inside and outside ribs on each tire are worn, then that is under inflation. Chris

jnbhobe

I would get the alignment done then have the tires flipped on the wheels and balanced, then you can get a lot of extra miles out of your tires, they also may be regroved .

Hogladyrider

We have a 2017 Cyclone 3611JS and the exact same thing just happened to us on our trip home to Florida from spending the summer out west in South Dakota workamping.

When we left SD the tires were in excellent condition. When we left Elkhart, Indiana we noticed the wear on the outside only of all 4 tires. We made it to our home base in Florida but now we have to deal with "fixing" the issue as we live full time in our RV.

One step at a time, need to find out the cause first, then weigh the financial options that are available.

A bit surprised that this wear happened rather quickly, at least that is my opinion as we traveled all of 2016 on the east coast with no problems. Then we drove all the way from Florida to South Dakota in April 2017 with no problems.

It's always something whether you have a sticks n'bricks or a home on wheels!

Susan

B

BouseBill

Susan, find a good shop that specializes in big rigs and trailers and have them check the alignment. If ALL FOUR are wearing the same on the outside edge it's the axles.

The shop we used charged $150 per axle, getting the problem fixed is a lot cheaper than a new set of tires :)

Labor was approximately two hours after they got the Rig positioned on the ramps, being full-timers there should be NO need to leave your Rig over-night.

Hogladyrider

Thanks Gary has been actively researching just that and there is a shop here locally in Ocala, FL that we are looking into.

The additional question is, what are the chances of the problem reoccurring and is it worth the expense to go to independent suspension ILO fixed axles.

At least we have time since we are now "home" in Florida and will not be traveling again with the Cyclone until April.

It may work out that we leave the RV at the Ocala shop for a week in January when we are away on a cruise.

Appreciate all the great input!

Susan

dbbls59

There was a thread earlier about this very thing. Nearly everyone with Saliun tires was experiencing this. It was the conscience of the group that it is caused by the turning and dragging the tires sideways. Mine are doing the same thing. Don't think it is a problem.

B

BouseBill

Susan, sorry can't answer your question as to it happening again. We've owned 5 5th wheels over the past 15 years and this is the first time I've had to have the axles corrected.

Here is a link concerning trailer alignment, granted it's focused on long haul flatbeds but tires are tires LOL

http://www.tirereview.com/tire-wear-and-trailer-alignment/

about half way down is a diagram of tire wear which was happening on ALL FOUR OF OUR TIRES ON THE OUTSIDE EDGE ONLY.

I guess time (and mileage) will tell if this is a normal Saliun tire wear pattern, but I don't think it is.