Best Pin Box for the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

CoveredWagon

Ordered the new spring from MORryde. They offered me dealer cost which was very kind of them. I have high expectations that this will resolve the back and forth movement. The spring is rated for up to 23,000 lbs but the pin box is still rated at 18K which is the gross weight for my trailer. This is their heaviest spring, a #6. I will be towing with a PullRite ISR rated at 20,000 lbs and Reese base rail adapter rated at 25,000 lbs. (Got the base rail adapter for $100 on CraigsList!). This combination of base rail adapter and hitch will be much lighter than the Curt 24K I was using but heavier than the Andersen I had that collapsed. The PullRite weighs in at 52 lbs and the Reese adapter is about 90 lbs. Both are very manageable.

I saw that Pullrite hitch in Tampa last year at CW. It was so new they didn’t even have a price on it. I really liked the idea. Shortly thereafter I was introduced to the Andersen Ultimate. I realized the the Pullrite is sort of the inverse of the Andersen. Makes me wonder if that was designed that way to avoid patent infringement. Both are a great ideas. For my usage I much prefer the Andersen Ultimate. It’s light weight simple to install and don’t need the rails. Friends (anyone with a truck ALWAYS has friends, right) are amazed at how quickly the hitch is removed and installed.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Ordered the new spring from MORryde. They offered me dealer cost which was very kind of them. I have high expectations that this will resolve the back and forth movement. The spring is rated for up to 23,000 lbs but the pin box is still rated at 18K which is the gross weight for my trailer. This is their heaviest spring, a #6. I will be towing with a PullRite ISR rated at 20,000 lbs and Reese base rail adapter rated at 25,000 lbs. (Got the base rail adapter for $100 on CraigsList!). This combination of base rail adapter and hitch will be much lighter than the Curt 24K I was using but heavier than the Andersen I had that collapsed. The PullRite weighs in at 52 lbs and the Reese adapter is about 90 lbs. Both are very manageable.

Periodically, check your Reese adapter. I noticed a lot of movement with my adapter and the Puck system. So much so, that I called Reese several times about the issue. I was told to adjust the tolerances of the adapter. After maxing out the adjustments, I was told that there wasn’t much else they could do. After about 2000 miles of travel, I removed the adapter to find the rear pucks had wear to the connection. That’s when I started my search for a new hitch.

I’m sure it was just our individual adapter. As I have had several Reese products and all have been excellent. Just an FYI. I really like the ISR. I would have given it more consideration if I had rails.

porthole

Retired
As I'm traveling down the road, I can look in the rear view mirror and see relative movement in the MORryde pinbox. Granted mine is sized correctly for our trailer. You can also see that there has been movement by looking at the lower plate of the pinbox and see tracks in the dust dirt.

I was never able to 'see' my MOR/ryde pinbox move. I could only judge movement by the dust marks being wiped.

CoveredWagon

I was never able to 'see' my MOR/ryde pinbox move. I could only judge movement by the dust marks being wiped.

Oh it’s very small movement, gentle sliding or maybe best described as a twisting motion. I’m sure you know by the dust trails. It’s only at certain times, maybe it has to do with lighting conditions as well.

Clark2262

Well, not good news at all for Pullrite. I pulled about 70 miles to the shop. Removed the pinbox adapter so the shop could move my trailer around as necessary. I discovered that both of the bolts that secure the pinbox adapter to the kingpin were deformed. I called Pullrite and they said I'm not the first with this problem. I told them I did not trust the hitch and they graciously agreed to take it back. My guess is that this is a real problem. Most people do not remove the adapter after installing it and therefore are unaware of any problems. The weight of my trailer may not have helped but it's still 3,000lbs under the rating of the hitch. I'm going back a Curt 24K.

Bones

Well, not good news at all for Pullrite. I pulled about 70 miles to the shop. Removed the pinbox adapter so the shop could move my trailer around as necessary. I discovered that both of the bolts that secure the pinbox adapter to the kingpin were deformed. I called Pullrite and they said I'm not the first with this problem. I told them I did not trust the hitch and they graciously agreed to take it back. My guess is that this is a real problem. Most people do not remove the adapter after installing it and therefore are unaware of any problems. The weight of my trailer may not have helped but it's still 3,000lbs under the rating of the hitch. I'm going back a Curt 24K.
Yeah that is not good news. I wonder if there is a significant difference in the mountings between the Anderson and the pull right.

Clark2262

Yeah that is not good news. I wonder if there is a significant difference in the mountings between the Anderson and the pull right.

I replaced my Anderson with the Pullrite after it failed in a minor collision. So having used both hitches, I can say that there is not a significant difference. Anderson puts the socket on the pinbox and the ball on the hitch. Pullrite puts the ball on the pinbox and the socket on the hitch. (Someone else here suggested this was done to avoid patent infringement.)

Bones

I replaced my Anderson with the Pullrite after it failed in a minor collision. So having used both hitches, I can say that there is not a significant difference. Anderson puts the socket on the pinbox and the ball on the hitch. Pullrite puts the ball on the pinbox and the socket on the hitch. (Someone else here suggested this was done to avoid patent infringement.)
was it the two bolt that attach to the king pin or the 4 bolts that apply pressure on the king pin plate?

robk

So, are you keeping the MorRyde pin box? Was it the bent pins on the Pullrite causing your problem? You mention the Anderson hitch collapsing during an accident. What happened? I'm very happy with my Anderson Ultimate, but I've not had an accident.

CoveredWagon

I’ve had the Andersen adapter off a few times (I have the eye bolts that come with chain kit) and have found zero deformation in the bolts. Still wouldn’t trade this hitch.
I just looked at the Pullrite video and really didn’t see any major differences other than the upside down design. It might be bolt size or design / manufacturing tolerances. The pull should not be on the the bolts but rather on the pin itself.

Clark2262

So, are you keeping the MorRyde pin box? Was it the bent pins on the Pullrite causing your problem? You mention the Anderson hitch collapsing during an accident. What happened? I'm very happy with my Anderson Ultimate, but I've not had an accident.

Yes, keeping MORryde. The hitch was not causing the issues with the MORryde pinbox or vice versa. Actually, the issues I had with MORryde were with two different hitches and trucks. MORryde sent me a new, heavier spring but I did not get it in time before my last trip. I have it now and expect it will solve my problems.

I know Anderson has issues with some pinboxes with rubber "springs". But that is because the spring can get damaged, not the Andersen hitch. They have special lock-out kits for pinboxes by Trail Air Rotoflex. I think the Pullrite 2400 has the same issue. What they told me at either Andersen or Pullrite, is that the spring can wiggle out of the back of the pinbox; not always, but sometimes.

I was in a minor fender bender. If it were not for the front mounted trailer hitch and license plate holder on my truck, which acted like a battering ram, there may not have been any damage to the other driver's car at all. However, the Andersen hitch collapsed and my camper rear-ended my truck. I'm not speaking poorly about Andersen. Besides mine, there is only one other Andersen hitch failure on the internet that I can find. People love them. However, I'm going back to my Curt 24K. I don't think it would have collapsed at all, but I don't really know.

Chippendale

I’ve had the Andersen adapter off a few times (I have the eye bolts that come with chain kit) and have found zero deformation in the bolts. Still wouldn’t trade this hitch.

X's 2 - I have had my Andersen since December 2014, three years, the pin box adapter on two different trailers and the hitch it's self in two different trucks and I have no complaints so far. A good friend just installed one in his truck and is on his first trip with it pulling a 2013 Landmark San Antonio. Said he couldn't believe how quiet it was, how well it pulled and how easy it was to hitch. Think I am going to keep mine.

Clark2262

I just looked at the Pullrite video and really didn’t see any major differences other than the upside down design. It might be bolt size or design / manufacturing tolerances. The pull should not be on the the bolts but rather on the pin itself.

Really good points. Now that you mention it, the Andersen was a much tighter fit on the kingpin than the Pullrite. I had to use WD-40 and some wiggling to get the Andersen adapter on, but not the Pullrite. You may be on to something. The design of the Pullrite adapter is really very different, other than the reversal of the ball/socket. Andersen completely surrounds the kingpin with a solid block of aluminum but the Pullrite is not like that. There were zero issues on the Andersen with this connection and my little mishap. (BTW - it wasn't my fault. A tractor trailer caused the accident.)

Just curious; what is the weight of your trailer?

robk

Yes, keeping MORryde. The hitch was not causing the issues with the MORryde pinbox or vice versa. Actually, the issues I had with MORryde were with two different hitches and trucks. MORryde sent me a new, heavier spring but I did not get it in time before my last trip. I have it now and expect it will solve my problems.

I know Anderson has issues with some pinboxes with rubber "springs". But that is because the spring can get damaged, not the Andersen hitch. They have special lock-out kits for pinboxes by Trail Air Rotoflex. I think the Pullrite 2400 has the same issue. What they told me at either Andersen or Pullrite, is that the spring can wiggle out of the back of the pinbox; not always, but sometimes.

I was in a minor fender bender. If it were not for the front mounted trailer hitch and license plate holder on my truck, which acted like a battering ram, there may not have been any damage to the other driver's car at all. However, the Andersen hitch collapsed and my camper rear-ended my truck. I'm not speaking poorly about Andersen. Besides mine, there is only one other Andersen hitch failure on the internet that I can find. People love them. However, I'm going back to my Curt 24K. I don't think it would have collapsed at all, but I don't really know.
Out of curiosity, was your Anderson Ultimate the gooseneck ball type or the mounted on rails type?

porthole

Retired
Removed the pinbox adapter so the shop could move my trailer around as necessary. I discovered that both of the bolts that secure the pinbox adapter to the kingpin were deformed.

What is this adapter? Link? I looked up Pullrite ISR and all I find are conventional 5th wheel hitches.

porthole

Retired
I think I might have found what you have.
The adapter plate slips-bolts on and you adjust the plate to the pin box with four vertical bolts and jamb nuts?

Don't like that at all and I can see why it would be a problem with a MOR/ryde pinbox.

The MR pinbox moves front to back and side to side in a circular motion (oval shaped). I can easily visualize that movement stressing those bolts.

I think I would want that adapter bolted solid to the pin box or better yet, MOR/ryde or Pullrite should just offer a gooseneck ball bottom plate for their hitch.

When we first ordered the Cyclone I had MOR/ryde put their pinbox on but I did not want the 'universal' plate that was available at the time for the Pullrite Superglide (from pullrite).

I ended up getting a prototype Superglide to MOR/ryde hitch custom plate. We were the initial testers.

Something else I did not know at the time is that when the MOR/ryde pinbox was spec'd on a trailer being pulled by a Superglide type hitch, blocks were installed inside the hitch to block side to side movement.

- - - Updated - - -

The bottom plate of the MOR/ryde pinbox can be easily changed (4 bolts) Maybe Anderson and Pullrite should get together with MOR/ryde and design a new bottom plate.

Something else I have seen over the years with the MR pinbox. That bottom plate is not always flat. I have seen plates that are beveled a bit.

CoveredWagon

Really good points. Now that you mention it, the Andersen was a much tighter fit on the kingpin than the Pullrite. I had to use WD-40 and some wiggling to get the Andersen adapter on, but not the Pullrite. You may be on to something. The design of the Pullrite adapter is really very different, other than the reversal of the ball/socket. Andersen completely surrounds the kingpin with a solid block of aluminum but the Pullrite is not like that.

Just curious; what is the weight of your trailer?

Ours is a 35 ft 3270rs. It probably weighs around 15k. It’s a light weight compared to most. It’s a Baby Bighorn.