Can't fill fresh water tank from campground spigot

Alan_B

Today I tried to top off our fresh water tank in our 2016 Bighorn fifth wheel from the campground water spigot.

Our site is right next to the fresh water spigot (unthreaded) so I thought I could run my hose to the campground water and connect with a water bandit. I turned the Anderson valve to "Tank", hooked up the hose and the water bandit, and tried to fill the tank.

The hose filled up with water and then the water bandit popped off the spigot. I tried holding the water bandit on the spigot, but when the water pressure built up again it just popped off again.

It appears that the campground water doesn't have enough pressure to open up the Anderson valve to fill the fresh water tank.

Any advice, thoughts or solutions? thanks

LBR

Probably the water thief doesn't have enough holding power on the spigot / bib to overcome the inlet valve one way spring.

Oregon_Camper

I'm guessing you have had no problem filling the tank at home, with a normal hose/threaded to spigot?

I think I remember reading you need 35-40 PSI to allow the valve to open, allowing water to flow.

Alan_B

Well, I will chalk this up to "if it doesn't work the first three or four times, try it again."

I unhooked everything, then tried it all again. Success.

Go figure.