Upgrade Axles

Mhitesman

I have a 2013 Heartland North Trail 22FBS Caliber Edition Travel Trailer, purchased new in 2013. I use it for two trips each year. I have replaced the same axle twice (rear, I think) and I am looking to upgrade to 5200# axle and 15" wheels. I do not believe my trailer has been overloaded, stowing not more than several hundred pounds of food, clothing, and gear. I think tight turns might be getting us? We have also worn out the rear tires, wear is on the inside and rather sudden. I am wondering whether heavier axles, larger tires, and better quality tires will be worth the $3500 investment. Obviously, this is no excuse to overload our trailer nor to make tight turns, but I am wondering if it can help? Also, we are getting mixed answers as to whether we should go with straight axles or those flexible (rounded?) axles? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

brianlajoie

Check to make sure your trailer is level when you tow it. If it is nose high, you could be putting more weight on the rear axel.

If you have uneven wear, have the wheel alignment checks. Also check to see if your wheels need balancing.

wdk450

Before spending the $3500, you might want to look into a MorRyde Independent suspension upgrade, done at their service center in Elkhart, In. If you can wait until about June, there are usually great discounts in conjunction with the Heartland Owners National Rally, usually held the 2nd week of June in nearby Goshen, In.

Domi

We upgraded our axels and tires a couple of years ago for our 2011 NT 28FBS. It was sitting to low to the ground and we kept dragging the electric stablizers. We went with 4000 # axels since the trailer GVW is 6900 . We increased the size of the tires to 15 inches to get more hight also.

We have been happy with our upgrade and if you were in the Denver area I would recommend a shop.

With a 22 foot NT I would not think two 5200# axels would be needed. Seems like way overkill but since you had to replace them once I guess I can see it. What was the reason you needed to replace them?

Good luck hope you can find a good axel shop that will fix it right for you.

John

Titanguy

I have a 2013 Heartland North Trail 22FBS Caliber Edition Travel Trailer, purchased new in 2013. I use it for two trips each year. I have replaced the same axle twice (rear, I think) and I am looking to upgrade to 5200# axle and 15" wheels. I do not believe my trailer has been overloaded, stowing not more than several hundred pounds of food, clothing, and gear. I think tight turns might be getting us? We have also worn out the rear tires, wear is on the inside and rather sudden. I am wondering whether heavier axles, larger tires, and better quality tires will be worth the $3500 investment. Obviously, this is no excuse to overload our trailer nor to make tight turns, but I am wondering if it can help? Also, we are getting mixed answers as to whether we should go with straight axles or those flexible (rounded?) axles? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Depending on what you have now, you may or may not be able to upgrade. If you can upgrade it is worth it. Higher load capacity components always generate a greater margin of safety.

You can call me to discuss upgrading. Ron 405-885-7009