Switch in the Bathroom. Whats it for?

I just purchased a 2009 north trail 21FSB. Got a dumb question. There is a switch in the bathroom that looks like a light switch except it has a red light in it. It is not labeled. It is mounted just below the other switches for the pump, etc. I think it may have to do with the water heater but not sure. Can anyone tell me how this switch is used. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks, Dutch

danemayer

Hi Jacksondutch,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The wall type switch that illuminates is typically for the electric side of the water heater. You don't want to turn that on unless you're sure there's water in the water heater tank. The heating element can burn out very quickly if there's no water.

jimtoo

HI Dutch,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I do not have a North Trail, but usually the switch you describe is for the electric (120v) side of the water heater or if you have they Yetti package for cold weather it could be for heating pads under the water tanks. Do not turn on the switch unless you make sure the water heater if full of water, the element will burn out almost immediately. Hopefully some of our other North Trail owners will jump in soon with better info for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Thanks for the quick response!! There is also an on/off switch on the exterior side of the water heater itself that I am not sure about. I have looked in the owners manual but can't find any specific info. It is winterized now or I would just experiment until I figure it out. Thanks

jimtoo

Usually the switch on the outside is left on and the one inside is used for the convenience of not having to go outside to turn on/off the water heater. Also the red switch when on reminds you it is on to.... Turn me off before disconnecting :).

Jim M

Also the switch outside is usually off when it comes from the factory, so you may need to turn it on.