Ease of winterization

NYSUPstater

After I got the needed parts (hose and all), son and I winterized our coach with relative ease couple weeks ago. He opened each faucet while I made sure hose was in anti-freeze jug. Of course we followed the directions on decal in DS. Not sure if we did this part right, but for the washer, I gave him a empty AF jug and he held under each spigot, turned on until AF ran out. Once done, just emptied the contents of that jug into jug I had hose in to add the AF. Only prob I could see was any add'l water that would've been in those lines, diluting the other AF. Think we did the washer last, but even when done, I ran add'l AF down each drain/toilet. Overall used about 3 gallons.

So was impressed how simple it was (1st timers--at least for this coach) even tho it required 2 people. In regards to the washer, should I have just dumped what was in the jug VS adding to full strength AF? RV is in storage now for the winter---sniff, sniff, :-( :-( :-:):):)(.

Where did the summer go? Seems like just yesterday son and I went to pick it up and was asking questions galore on it. Had a GREAT season and VERY HAPPY with the coach!!:eek::eek::eek:

danemayer

If you have an ice maker or water feed in the refrigerator, make sure that's part of the winterization. Compressed air is a better choice for refrigerators.

Instructions for residential refrigerators in the Residential Refrigerator Guide. For traditional gas absorption refrigerators, see the Winterization Guide.

Also, make sure you don't forget the outside shower. And to be safe, you should also hit the black tank flush with either a little compressed air or antifreeze.

NYSUPstater

No ice maker in fridge (at least none that I'm aware of) as the RV came thru w/ the 18cu ft Norcold fridge and did use compressed air to blow out the sewer flush (tip from Shawn at NY rally couple weeks ago). Did the outside shower last.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For the washer (clothes washer?), you need to run it per the manual while pumping AF. I learned the hard way not to shortcut the procedure.

Winterizing is a simple one man job for me. I pour my AF into a 5 gallon pail with a lid. I made an extension for the pump hose and added a length of 1/2” PVC to the end. The PVC goes into the bucket through a hole in the lid to hold it in position. Once the pump starts drawing AF, I can go inside and work all the faucets and toilet. The washing machine needs to be operated to get AF into the plumbing. You can’t just pour it in the drum and air pressure won’t clear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

John,

We don't have a washing machine, just the hook-ups for it. For right now, we are holding off on getting one. As for the hose, it was cheaper to buy a 15' ready made garden hose from Home Depot and cut to length as needed rather than to buy the brass ends and 10' of clear hose---go figure.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We just winterized our trailer A few days ago. It seems to get easier to do every year. Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as just heading south to warmer weather. LOL. Maybe in a decade or two…

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just winterized our trailer A few days ago. It seems to get easier to do every year. Unfortunately, it’s not as easy as just heading south to warmer weather. LOL. Maybe in a decade or two…

Was about to ask what this word you speak of means lol.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John,

We don't have a washing machine, just the hook-ups for it. For right now, we are holding off on getting one. As for the hose, it was cheaper to buy a 15' ready made garden hose from Home Depot and cut to length as needed rather than to buy the brass ends and 10' of clear hose---go figure.

OK, I misread your post about a washer. As for the hose extension, I had the parts on hand from previous projects around the house. But it is easier to pull from a 5-gallon bucket than a bunch of 1-gallon jugs (when working alone). I have to do our winterizing at the storage yard, so I bring my Honda 2K genny along to power the washer while pumping AF into it. Runs my compressor, too, when first blowing the lines.

CoveredWagon

If you have an ice maker or water feed in the refrigerator, make sure that's part of the winterization. Compressed air is a better choice for refrigerators.

Instructions for residential refrigerators in the Residential Refrigerator Guide. For traditional gas absorption refrigerators, see the Winterization Guide.

Also, make sure you don't forget the outside shower. And to be safe, you should also hit the black tank flush with either a little compressed air or antifreeze.

I think I forgot the outdoor shower 😡 gotta go uncover that side of the Rv (it’s covered) that’s going to be a pain. 😡 No electricity there either so I’ll have to charge the compressor tank here and hope I have enough. Fortunately it’s stored in central FL so I don’t have to rush. 😁

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Was about to ask what this word you speak of means lol.

Ginger and I were laughing the other day. Your idea of winterizing is to make sure there’s enough gumbo for the tailgate parties.

HOOKERUP

Hang in there Jamie,you're time will come. Still have to get my rig back from Wilkins. Said parts will be there on Nov.7th (well see ). Will be heading south in Jan. Will see you in Del. Enjoy the holidays to you and you're family.
cool.png
icon6.png