Mallard M26 winter campiing question

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I purchased a 2018 Mallard M26. It has a forced air heated underbelly. Just wondering how well it actually works and how cold of temperatures I can actually camp in? Any other thoughts about Mallards? We've had it out a few times and it seems to be a decent camper? I appreciate any feedback, thanks...

mhaskins

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I purchased a 2018 Mallard M26. It has a forced air heated underbelly. Just wondering how well it actually works and how cold of temperatures I can actually camp in? Any other thoughts about Mallards? We've had it out a few times and it seems to be a decent camper? I appreciate any feedback, thanks...
Hello Nebraska,

We took our M33 out last weekend when it was dropping down to 21 degrees overnight. I was a little nervous (1st time using it below freezing) but it did great. We didn't fill the water tank all the way, and I placed a small ceramic disc heater underneath as an extra precaution (have no idea if that really helped or not).

We had a space heater inside running most of the time to save some propane, but had the heater running as well to make sure the underbelly was getting some warm air. I don't know how it would do if it got much colder, but I will certainly camp in twenties again.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

spruce1.

I have a 2017Mallard M 26 and have camped in 18 degree nights. Kept the furnace set to 65 degrees in the trailer. Heat kept cycling on and off all night but it did the job. Did disconnect the outside water.

mhaskins

Thanks for the info mhaskins, I appreciate your response.. Are you happy with your M33? Any issues with it?
We love the M33. We have had some fit and finish issues, but sadly I think that is the standard with all trailers. Biggest problem is a shower drain leak I keep trying to repair but there's so little space to work it is hard to do. We also had one of the slide cables come undone, but we were able to get that back on and adjusted without too much effort. Even with the issues, I would highly recommend it. Only thing I would change would be to add a 2nd AC.

klp605

We have a 2018 M32. We took delivery the end of May and camped at least 60 nights (not counting all the nights the kids would home camp), up until last weekend. Everything worked well camping with lows in the 20's. Today we dropped it off for the warranty work discovered during PDI and after using it all summer. Right away we added the 2nd a/c and power tongue jack (included in negotiations). The enviromental package makes keeping it clean much easier. Our prior camper didnt have it and I have noticed a big difference. We have been very happy with our camper. Most importantly, Heartland is an amazing company to work with.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mhaskins

We have a 2018 M32. We took delivery the end of May and camped at least 60 nights (not counting all the nights the kids would home camp), up until last weekend. Everything worked well camping with lows in the 20's. Today we dropped it off for the warranty work discovered during PDI and after using it all summer. Right away we added the 2nd a/c and power tongue jack (included in negotiations). The enviromental package makes keeping it clean much easier. Our prior camper didnt have it and I have noticed a big difference. We have been very happy with our camper. Most importantly, Heartland is an amazing company to work with.

I forgot about the electric tongue jack, that is definately on the wish list. Curious how the 2nd AC was added. I'm not familiar with the M32, is it 50 amp and prewired for a 2nd unit, or was that a major undertaking?

klp605

I forgot about the electric tongue jack, that is definately on the wish list. Curious how the 2nd AC was added. I'm not familiar with the M32, is it 50 amp and prewired for a 2nd unit, or was that a major undertaking?

I would never go without an electric tongue jack again. M32 is 50 amp and the bunkhouse wad prewired. More and more units are being prewired 50 amp.

DSweet

My wife and I purchased a 2018 M325 in July of this year. I'm curious about a second A/C unit. I'm assuming you added it due to lack of air flow in the bedroom. 1) I purchased a small lighted scope camera that attaches to my phone. I removed the vent covers and inserted the camera into the ducts in the ceiling. I found in one location a fairly large blockage. There are wires that run from the floor into the ceiling through a large hole. When they cut the hole for the wires into the duct, a large piece of the foam insulation got pushed upward and was acting a diverter. Unfortunately, it funnels the air downward into this hole in the wall. I'm not sure that once I get this resolved it will resolve the issue but worth a try.
2) In case I need to install a second A/C, did you put in a ducted or non-ducted unit? My TT is prewired for a second unit.

klp605

My wife and I purchased a 2018 M325 in July of this year. I'm curious about a second A/C unit. I'm assuming you added it due to lack of air flow in the bedroom. 1) I purchased a small lighted scope camera that attaches to my phone. I removed the vent covers and inserted the camera into the ducts in the ceiling. I found in one location a fairly large blockage. There are wires that run from the floor into the ceiling through a large hole. When they cut the hole for the wires into the duct, a large piece of the foam insulation got pushed upward and was acting a diverter. Unfortunately, it funnels the air downward into this hole in the wall. I'm not sure that once I get this resolved it will resolve the issue but worth a try.
2) In case I need to install a second A/C, did you put in a ducted or non-ducted unit? My TT is prewired for a second unit.
It is a non-ducted unit. I researched and talked to many owners asking about the ability of one 15k a/c to keep a 30+ foot camper cooled. Everything pointed to two a/c's. Due to our son's medical needs, I needed to ensure we could keep whatever camper we decided on cooled.

I am curious to know what it looks like inside the ceiling ducts. What camera did you purchase?

DSweet

It is a non-ducted unit. I researched and talked to many owners asking about the ability of one 15k a/c to keep a 30+ foot camper cooled. Everything pointed to two a/c's. Due to our son's medical needs, I needed to ensure we could keep whatever camper we decided on cooled.

I am curious to know what it looks like inside the ceiling ducts. What camera did you purchase?

I purchased this one. I used it with my Samsung S7 phone. It can be used with a computer also. I got this one because it is longer and the cable is stiff so it doesn't buckle while pushing it into small areas.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3QMJWL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use it to locate cables and wires in small areas in the camper as well.

Thanks for the A/C info. My unit is 32" inside and has a 13.5k main unit. I think I'll add another 13.5 in the bedroom.

klp605

I purchased this one. I used it with my Samsung S7 phone. It can be used with a computer also. I got this one because it is longer and the cable is stiff so it doesn't buckle while pushing it into small areas.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3QMJWL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use it to locate cables and wires in small areas in the camper as well.

Thanks for the A/C info. My unit is 32" inside and has a 13.5k main unit. I think I'll add another 13.5 in the bedroom.

Thank you for the info. I have the S7 and added the camera to our camper wishlist. We have the 2018 M32. The 13.5 added to the bunkhouse makes a big difference in keeping the camper cooled in 90+ temps. The unit also serves as a good sound machine when the kids are sleeping. :D