ATF: Sundance - Soft spot in floor of new 261RK

kingzinko

I have a new 2018 Sundance 261RK. There is a very noticeable spongy soft spot in the center of the floor between the dinette table and the edge of the slide carpet. It is about 2 foot by 2 foot in diameter and it flexes very noticeably in the area when you stand or step there. Is this normal? It is really concerning me sense I bought this trailer only 8 days ago and this is the first time we have camped in it. I tried to post a picture of the soft spot but the website said I could not attach files yet.

jbeletti

Hi there and welcome!

Sorry to hear about your soft spot. I suggest you reach out directly to Heartland Customer Service on this.

Gather your vin and digital photos. Email those with your contact into and a description to: service@heartlandrvs.com Note too that the phone number for them is 877-262-8032.

Once you have 2 approved posts on this forum, you will be able to add photos. It's a spam countermeasure.

Bruce11

No that is not normal! I found a soft spot in ours & factory fixed this. I had to drive it to Indiana though.

kingzinko

No that is not normal! I found a soft spot in ours & factory fixed this. I had to drive it to Indiana though.

Thanks for the input. Mine is at the dealer right now. They have contacted Hearland about it and are waiting for a answer. I'm sure they will fix it. Heartland is a good company.

Last edited:

jerryjay11

I'm sure you meant "Heartland." It was probably the keyboards fault. Happens to me a lot. But if you forgot how to spell Heartland just scroll up to the top of this page for the correct spelling. :cool:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Oh sure, blame it on the poor the 'ol keyboard! Although mine makes the same type of misteaks too...LOL

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Stay in touch with HL service. That way you know what they are doing to fix the problem. My issue is my fingers get out of control.

kingzinko

I received a call from the dealer today and Heartland approved them reinforcing the floor of my Sundance. Heartland is sending some kind of metal reinforcement for the floor and the dealer is doing the work. I will report back when I get my trailer back.

Thanks

kingzinko

I received a call from the dealer today and Heartland approved them reinforcing the floor of my Sundance. Heartland is sending some kind of metal reinforcement for the floor and the dealer is doing the work. I will report back when I get my trailer back.

Thanks

Well I wanted to give a update. The dealer called and said they were complete with the work on my trailer (after having it for 2 months). When I arrived at the dealer I went to inspect their work. There were several issues they were supposed to fix. It appears the floor is better but still flexes a little. Heartland had them put some kind of support under the floor to correct the soft spot.

I ended up not picking up the trailer. They had not fixed one of the issues I had with the RV. The shower pan was incorrectly installed at the factory. The pan slopes down about ¾ inch from center shower back wall (high point) to right corner of the back wall (low point). Because of this defective slope, any water sprayed on the entire right back wall flows down to the lowest point of the right-hand corner of the pan and over the edge. This water then drips from the right back wall corner to the floor and puddles under the cabinet to the right-hand side of the shower. This puddling under the cabinet has caused the bottom of the cabinet to swell and fall apart. This damage is a direct result of the incorrect installation at the factory. The dealer is now talking to Heartland about fixing this. I have no idea why they did not do this while they were talking to Heartland about my floor. I think they were so focused on the floor that they forgot about the shower. Hopefully this work will be done quickly and I will be able to use my RV.
I have included a picture with the location of the down sloping corner indicated with a arrow.

Attachments

• Leak locationI.jpg
    Leak locationI.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So the problem was just lack of support and not some water induced soft spot.
I think that sometimes they cut things out to make room for something else and that causes the weak spots.
Peace
Dave