Things I Like About Rallies and Things I Don't

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jamie,
That might be a good idea, either a first timers gathering or even a little cheat sheet sent via email or handed out for first timers could be helpful. I can honestly say that I had no idea what to expect at our first Rally. I did see the Agenda and time for the Meet N Greet at 6pm, but had no idea we should be punctual since we would be introduced! If I'd have known, we would have been there prior to 6pm. I thought it was going to be different then what it actually was. Nothing like being late for your new introduction into the group :rolleyes: I also didn't know that we should bring our own drinks to the Meet N Greet. We caught on, but a little cheat sheet probably would have helped to eliminate our awkward moments.

Great idea. I like it.

RichnPeg

I guess I would assume there would be information sent to everyone beforehand as to agenda, what to bring, etc. I suppose it all depends on the organizers.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I guess I would assume there would be information sent to everyone beforehand as to agenda, what to bring, etc. I suppose it all depends on the organizers.

One bit of information I would recommend to everyone attending a rally. Whether your first or your 50th. As time gets closer to the rally date, check the forum frequently. A lot of information, including agendas, activities, food, events, schedule changes, pre-and post rally activities etc. are all being added. Generally the forum is the first place this information is displayed. In my case, I am not a Facebooker. The forum is my main way to communicate everything.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We have signed up for our first Rally in Michigan in June 2018. The whole purpose was for us to meet other people with similar interests (Travel, etc.) Is there not a Meet 'n Greet so people can get to know each other? I'm not too worried about my husband who will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime, but I'm sure hoping I don't feel like the new girl in school. I'm going to keep a positive attitude and look forward to having a great time.
Peggy
icon7.png

Peggy, you will have a good time, I am looking forward to meeting you.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
We were just at our first ever RV Rally last month. We had a great time and some Chapter Leaders swung by our site to welcome us and introduce themselves once we were set up. My husband is much more friendly and outgoing then I am, I can be a little reserved when meeting new people. We felt very welcomed into the group, and talked with quite a few people at the rally events, while walking around the campground and while at our site and never encountered anyone rude, but I can see where some people may feel like there are cliques among the attendees, but I don't think they're intentionally being cliquey though. I think it's just that they already know each other and that they have most likely been looking forward to catching up with and seeing each other at the Rally. For some people that may seem like you're being ignored or not welcomed by "everyone", for me there's a big difference though between not being welcomed by "anyone" vs "everyone" and if we weren't welcomed by anyone I could see us feeling differently.

Since I've only been to one Rally, I really don't know what I do or don't like about them yet, but we had such a good time at our first Rally that before we left the campground I made the booking for our second.

Very well put.

clubmgr

Staff member
We have signed up for our first Rally in Michigan in June 2018. The whole purpose was for us to meet other people with similar interests (Travel, etc.) Is there not a Meet 'n Greet so people can get to know each other? I'm not too worried about my husband who will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime, but I'm sure hoping I don't feel like the new girl in school. I'm going to keep a positive attitude and look forward to having a great time.
Peggy
icon7.png

Don't forget that you will not be the only one there who is attending their first rally. Even if they have been to rallies before, they may not have been to this particular Chapter's rallies before. There are so many rallies all over the country and Heartland owners are free to attend any Chapter rally, any where. No one can go to all of them so there is always the opportunity to meet new people.

MTPockets

We attended rallies in a few different States and Regions. There were similarities at each, but some differences as well. Some meet n greets were a pot luck, some the club provided snacks, at one rally you brought your own meat and shared some grills for cooking. Some clubs provide paper plates & forks, others not... these details at times had us going back to the rig to get our setups right. Suggestions for the leaders to provide a cheat sheet in advance sounds good, it’s a bit of a conundrum as we must remember the chapter leaders are volunteering time, they are not Heartland employees and free to organize as they are able. It’s a lot of work.. As attendees we need to jump in and ask questions and assist the leaders. They have already spent a lot of effort just setting up the location and roughing out an agenda. No one is purposely left out or ignored. Ask questions. Others will fill you in...

clubmgr

Staff member
This just my 2 cents. I am NOT a social animal. I will usually not speak first to someone I don't know. Now if they are the same kind of person. . . uncomfortable!

At rallies I have "forced" myself to get out there. First, I ditch my husband. Love him to bits, but I socialize better as a single act. What can I say! Then I walk around the campground and if I see 2 or more people having a conversation that doesn't look too serious, I walk over and say, Hi!. Most times it works. Sometimes it does not, but I have to keep in mind that there are regional differences and personal differences in what constitutes friendliness and roll with whatever I run into.

I have met people over the years who after meeting them a few times at different rallies, I look forward to seeing again and I never would have guessed we would have anything to talk about. But, we have just warmed to each other over the years. If I had crossed them off the list as being "unfriendly" when I first met them, I would have surely missed out on knowing a beautiful person.

MCTalley

...I changed to the same park, but did not sign up for the rally.

Note that not signing up for the rally, but just happening to be in the same park at the same time doesn't afford you the benefit of attending various activities that were planned for the rally - especially those that the chapter is paying for.

That said, it doesn't excuse folks for totally ignoring you, but realize that chapter leaders are reimbursed costs associated with the rally based on the number of people officially signed up for the rally. Just hanging around as a visitor puts them in an awkward position.

I would encourage you, or anyone else in the same situation, to give it another try. Sign up for the rally officially, so everything is properly accounted for and costed out ahead of time. Make it a point to try to meet some new folks. Most all rallies I've been to start out with a get-together with a pitch-in of light snacks where everyone is invited. Take your chairs and just sit down next to some people and strike up a conversation.

As to the original topic - my only suggestion (and this is just me) is please, no more 500-packs of "latex examination gloves" as door prizes. Maybe I'm the only person in the world that uses something else when dumping my tanks, but there has to be something else of value you can find to give out. :) (Note purposeful use of smiley).

MCTalley

Here's my take:

1) Do you enjoy planned activities like plant tours, local sightseeing trips, attending events like concerts or racetracks etc. or do you feel compelled to participate in something that is of little or no interest?

I like having a list of tours, trips and events that I can choose from. If something is happening that really should be paid for in advance (maybe a play, concert or similar) to get reservations, I like knowing about it and, optionally, paying ahead to be able to attend.

2) Do you enjoy door prize giveaways or are you annoyed with winning "the same old stuff" at every rally?

I like door prize giveaways. See my last post, however, regarding this subject. :)

3) Do you like the 50/50 type drawings or raffle ticket sales for higher end drawings? Do you feel like you're being compelled to "donate" constantly?

Yes. 50/50 or raffle drawings never seem forced to me. I like having the choice of either saving my money and watching others have fun, or joining in and taking a chance on winning something of value. Another option is an auction of a couple donated high-end items. I won a very nice Yeti cooler at auction at the Montana rally for a very reasonable price (1/2 of retail). It was nice knowing that not only did I win something nice (that I didn't have to bid on if I didn't want to), but that all of the funds were going to the club (it was the Montana chapter's first rally).

4) Have you experienced something at a rally (Heartland or otherwise) that you would like to see more often or at every rally?

I like having an official pitch-in (finger foods, preferably) on the first official evening of the rally. Having each party introduce themselves to the group is a nice way to learn new faces and names.

5) Is there something you see at rallies that really annoys you?

Being over-planned. I can't think of any particular rallies I've attended where that was an issue, but in reading some rally agendas for rallies and seeing that every minute looks like it is planned is somewhat of a turn-off.

6) Would you consider buying tickets to a catered dinner in lieu of the pot luck with club provided chicken strips or hamburgers and hot dogs?

Only for a larger rally (regional or national). For smaller rallies, I'd rather join others in a cookout and/or pitch-in where everything is less formal.

7) Would you mind bringing your own plates cups and silverware to group meals when asked?

Not at all.

8) Would you like to see these questions (or others) in a poll where you could keep your opinion confidential?

Doesn't matter to me.

hoefler

Note that not signing up for the rally, but just happening to be in the same park at the same time doesn't afford you the benefit of attending various activities that were planned for the rally - especially those that the chapter is paying for.

That said, it doesn't excuse folks for totally ignoring you, but realize that chapter leaders are reimbursed costs associated with the rally based on the number of people officially signed up for the rally. Just hanging around as a visitor puts them in an awkward position.

I would encourage you, or anyone else in the same situation, to give it another try. Sign up for the rally officially, so everything is properly accounted for and costed out ahead of time. Make it a point to try to meet some new folks. Most all rallies I've been to start out with a get-together with a pitch-in of light snacks where everyone is invited. Take your chairs and just sit down next to some people and strike up a conversation.

As to the original topic - my only suggestion (and this is just me) is please, no more 500-packs of "latex examination gloves" as door prizes. Maybe I'm the only person in the world that uses something else when dumping my tanks, but there has to be something else of value you can find to give out. :) (Note purposeful use of smiley).

Wasn't going to try and horn in on any activities they had planned for the number of attendees or anything else, just trying to get a feel of the attitude and the genuine nature of the people involved. I was not impressed, even when we walked right down the row of all the attendees and attempting to say hi to everyone we saw, which was quite a few as they were sitting outside their rigs, with very little interaction from the group as a whole.

MCTalley

Wasn't going to try and horn in on any activities they had planned for the number of attendees or anything else, just trying to get a feel of the attitude and the genuine nature of the people involved. I was not impressed, even when we walked right down the row of all the attendees and attempting to say hi to everyone we saw, which was quite a few as they were sitting outside their rigs, with very little interaction from the group as a whole.

Fair enough. Not implying you were trying to be a party crasher or anything. I've seen previous posts from other (generally newer) members asking if they have to sign up or can they just show up because they live, or were going to be camping, in the area.

Sorry about your experience. I'd be pretty wary of attending future events if I experienced the same.

porthole

Retired
One bit of information I would recommend to everyone attending a rally. Whether your first or your 50th. As time gets closer to the rally date, check the forum frequently. A lot of information, including agendas, activities, food, events, schedule changes, pre-and post rally activities etc. are all being added. Generally the forum is the first place this information is displayed.

In my case, I am not a Facebooker. The forum is my main way to communicate everything.

Ditto on the facebook and forum use.

To add to this, some of the rally organizers will try and grab the first couple of posts in a new rally thread and use them a placeholders for future info. So checking back to the first couple of posts occasially is always a good idea.

rahewett

My wife and I have just been to our 3rd rally. At our 1st, our chapter leader came by and introduced himself and brought a small welcome basket. We talked a little and he introduced us to a few of the other attendees. This was very appreciated as I see where one could feel out of place. We met others through out the weekend but not everyone there. At our 2nd rally we met a few more people and caught up with folks who we met at the first. At the 3rd we met more ( new to us ) folks. I found I could interact easier than I could at our first rally. I don't normally go out at home and don't consider myself social. That is why I like going to the rallies. I have now met people that I hope to call friends for a long time to come. I hope to attend more rallies next year and for years to come. Please don't let your first rally be your last. We are a working couple and that limits when are where we can travel. Every chapter leader we have met has been great.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
Jamie,
That might be a good idea, either a first timers gathering or even a little cheat sheet sent via email or handed out for first timers could be helpful. I can honestly say that I had no idea what to expect at our first Rally. I did see the Agenda and time for the Meet N Greet at 6pm, but had no idea we should be punctual since we would be introduced! If I'd have known, we would have been there prior to 6pm. I thought it was going to be different then what it actually was. Nothing like being late for your new introduction into the group :rolleyes: I also didn't know that we should bring our own drinks to the Meet N Greet. We caught on, but a little cheat sheet probably would have helped to eliminate our awkward moments.

That's a great point I will keep it in the back of my mind for next year.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
There should probably be some sort of identifier that attaches temporarily to your rig when you are a participant of a rally. I have walked around RV parks wondering if this or that Heartland rig is participating in the rally. If you are feeling left out, just seek out the Ford truck owners, they are very, very, friendly. Also, to quote Forest Gump, "Friendly is as friendly does". Ok, maybe it wasn't Forest Gump who said that, but if you are an outgoing/friendly person then you can usually crack the "cliquish" barrier. I know, nobody considers themselves unfriendly (read, don't flame me), but sometimes it takes a few attempts to engage a group of people that know each other.

Although new members may not have them at a rally, I usually look for the Heartland owners club plaque. Unfortunately, Many have them placed on the ladders in the rear making them harder to spot. Mine is placed next to my door and is relatively easy to spot walking along.

jbeletti

Although new members may not have them at a rally, I usually look for the Heartland owners club plaque. Unfortunately, Many have them placed on the ladders in the rear making them harder to spot. Mine is placed next to my door and is relatively easy to spot walking along.

In the first years of the Club, we included plaques with ladder frames ($60 club fee). That's why most plaques will appear on the back ladders (except toyhaulers).

In the last couple of years, in place of plaques, we included large-format decals ($35 club fee). This gave members a bit more flexibility to put them on their coach. We included 2 decals. Some used one on the coach (back, slide end wall etc.) and some put one on the back window of the tow vehicle. Some made yard signs with them.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I look forward to meeting you in June Peg at the Regional Rally and hope you will stick around for the state rally in August.

as a CL I have had attendees come to me and tell me it seems clickish which is why I always try to greet new arrivals and have meet'n'greets and single the new members out. A lot of times I believe that feeling comes from the fact that a lot of us have known each other for quite a few years. That being said, I have also seen members who come to rallies and barely talk to others or only spend there time with the same group. I don't think there is an answer to the problem other than for our members to go out of there way a little to welcome newbies. Since not everybody is a social animal like some:eek: it is important to especially welcome newbies.
As for rally attendees it is also important to keep an eye on the Rally info on the forum to keep abreast of any rally plans when you arrive. Hopefully the rally leader will also have a printed agenda and list of attendees for you.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I thought it would be interesting (and helpful) to start a thread discussing the various aspects of attending rallies!

As chapter leaders we strive to make our rallies enjoyable for those that participate. In that effort, many options are available to us but everyone is different and our efforts can sometimes be in vain. Some of these points have to do with personal likes and dislikes while others have to do with using the funds available as efficiently as possible. The kinds of things I'd like input on include:

6) Would you consider buying tickets to a catered dinner in lieu of the pot luck with club provided chicken strips or hamburgers and hot dogs?

7) Would you mind bringing your own plates cups and silverware to group meals when asked?

Please remember that Region and National rallies operate under different constraints and budgets so what they are able to do and what we can do as a chapter are different.

Thank you for your comments!

We’re at our second park for a month as Winter Texans and I’d like to offer a couple comments on the two questions from the above post...

#6...
At the first park, in addition to a weekly pot luck, we attended several catered meal events that were more than filling, flavorful and relaxing. Each required a signup and a small fee. One was $5, another was $7. Of course because the facility could handle it, entertainment too for an additional fee.
We have signed up for one here at the second park also, $5 meal AND a couple hours of entertainment.

#7...
At our second park here, ALL food events now require you to provide your own tureen, from a bowl for the ice cream social to any catered event. The explanation is twofold, 1) the kitchen crew said to provide all of the paper goods, plastic ware, etc for events was becoming cost prohibitive and driving up costs of their catered events. 2) The Park is in Rockport where Harvey came ashore last year. Household waste disposal here has become critical. The local landfills are full with thousands of tons of debris yet to be collected. Therefore we must bring our own non-disposable tableware for any meal at the clubhouse.
This requirement now affords them the ability to offer a catered spaghetti dinner plus entertainment on Friday for the aforementioned $5!
I bring this up for the obvious reason but additionally think these are novel approaches for future consideration as not all chapters have a large cash carryover from rally to rally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk