Future Owners.....a few questions?

Bellottej

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the long post. The wife and I are trying to decide between the Big Horn or Big Country to full time in. I am retiring in the next 6 months after 23 years in the US Army. My wife has a job that allows her to work from home, so we decided to stop talking about real freedom and try it out! We are looking at models 38' or shorter and under 16K GVWR. It will just be the 2 of us (plus 2 dogs), so I think even the smaller models will be enough room. I have a few questions hopefully, you guys can help out with.

1. Any pros or cons between the two models (or sub models)?

2. 7K or 8K axles? How close to the gvwr minus pin weight would you go before upgrading? Is it better to upgrade from the factory or are there better (hopefully cheaper) aftermarket applications?

3. My daughter and son-in-law are stationed in Alaska. As we will spend a lot of time up there (possibly winter in the SE), is the Yeti package necessary? How about heat pumps?

4. Are disc brakes really worth the $3300 upgrade? Maybe better aftermarket options?

5. We will probably spend 7-10 days at a time boon docking(in warmer climates). Any features I should look for or upgrade to?

6. Any "must haves" that take a little experience to figure out?

I realize a lot of my questions will have many answers based upon different experiences/needs. I am very much an amatuer at this point, so I would rather have too much info that not enough. Any wisdom you guys who have experience can share would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and feel free to point out anything obvious I missed or overlooked!

danemayer

Hi Bellottej,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I think either a Big Country or a Bighorn would be a great choice for fulltiming. I'm sure some of our owners who have already gone through that decision will chime in with their thoughts.

Axles: from what I've seen posted here, travel to and in Alaska can involve some pretty rough roads. You'll either want 8K axles, or you should consider MorRyde's Independent Suspension, even though it's pricey. If you have to buy an axle because of rough roads, the delays and expenses can add up pretty quickly.

Brakes: get the disc brakes. I don't think anyone who ever got disc brakes, either from the factory, or aftermarket, has buyer's remorse. I got disc brakes put on last year and I wish I had done it 6 years earlier.

Yeti Package: If you'll be in sub-freezing weather, you absolutely want the Yeti option. Also consider dual pane windows. And take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

Boon Docking: Stick with a traditional RV gas absorption refrigerator. If you're going to boon dock for 7 days, to keep a residential refrigerator running, you'll need to either have a significant solar panel installation (which you may want anyway), or you'll need to run a generator for a few hours each day.

Warmer Climates: Definitely will need at least 2 air conditioners. If you can get 3, spend the money.

Propane Tanks: if available, you may want 40 lb tanks instead of 30s.

Generator: There are a lot of advantages to an on-board propane powered generator. But for longer boon docking stays, you may want to look at a pair of linked 2K inverter generators.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of additional feedback.

'Lil Guy'

8K axels for sure. You can upgrade to the disc brakes for around $2400 installed. Save some money for other accessories. You'll probably need the Yeti pkg. Neater to have built into your order than to have to try and add it later.
Congrats on your soon to be retirement and thanks for your 23 years of service to our country. Enjoy your retirement.

esscobra

so I have the 3760 el - 40'11" - 16500- based on recommendations from buddy who builds heavy duty cargo trailers- and seeing the difference betwee 7k and 8k axles ad brakes - the8k brakes are double the size - I ordered the 8k axles and have no braking issues- on setting 3 -the trailer will stop the truck- there is no need for disc brakes unless you want t spend the extra money and rely on a single pump unit - now on 18k ad up possibly

CoveredWagon

What the others have said. We (wife pup and I ) have a Bighorn 3270 RS (35 feet long) and find it is plenty of room for the two of us and the pooch. As for the disc brakes ABSOLUTELY. I had the drums replace at around 800 miles because they were marginal. I think our coach has a gvwr of 15.5k. I know nothing about towing in Alaska, but I wonder if a shorter coach (35 footish ) might not have some towing advantages up there.

mlpeloquin

Hello,

I apologize in advance for the long post. The wife and I are trying to decide between the Big Horn or Big Country to full time in. I am retiring in the next 6 months after 23 years in the US Army. My wife has a job that allows her to work from home, so we decided to stop talking about real freedom and try it out! We are looking at models 38' or shorter and under 16K GVWR. It will just be the 2 of us (plus 2 dogs), so I think even the smaller models will be enough room. I have a few questions hopefully, you guys can help out with.

1. Any pros or cons between the two models (or sub models)?

2. 7K or 8K axles? How close to the gvwr minus pin weight would you go before upgrading? Is it better to upgrade from the factory or are there better (hopefully cheaper) aftermarket applications?

3. My daughter and son-in-law are stationed in Alaska. As we will spend a lot of time up there (possibly winter in the SE), is the Yeti package necessary? How about heat pumps?

4. Are disc brakes really worth the $3300 upgrade? Maybe better aftermarket options?

5. We will probably spend 7-10 days at a time boon docking(in warmer climates). Any features I should look for or upgrade to?

6. Any "must haves" that take a little experience to figure out?

I realize a lot of my questions will have many answers based upon different experiences/needs. I am very much an amatuer at this point, so I would rather have too much info that not enough. Any wisdom you guys who have experience can share would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and feel free to point out anything obvious I missed or overlooked!

There are differences between the two. Such as a power reel. Used to be that only the Big Horn had that option. Now the Big Country does, but I have only seen it mounted in the side storage area, which takes up a lot of space, not in the rear like the Big Horn. It may have changed again though. Heartland makes changes each year so what was true for previous years is not now.

1) It is a matter of personal choice. Some options may not be offered on the Big Country that are on the Big Horn, or standard on the Big Horn and option on the Big Country, but even that may have changed since I last looked. My preference is to have a home stile refrigerator not the RV fridge.

2) You can change axles after purchase, but it will not change the weight rating of the fifth wheel because you are not changing the weight capacity of the frame. Upgraded axles I do believe are not a factory an option.

3) Heat pumps are great, but in very cold weather heat pumps are not as effective. The after market Cheep Heat system seems to be a great addition for full timers. The Yeti package is a must for freezing weather and will help keep things from freezing in the few sub freezing nights the SE sees.

4) Disk breaks are only a factory option on the Landmark. Yes disks breaks are more than worth it. Get it done after purchase. We are so glad we did.

5) If you are boon docking, then the home fridge is not a option unless you get solar panel system to help keep the batteries charged. Also a portable generator. I do not think a factory installed generator is worth the price and weight, but that is a personal opinion.

6) Need to look a your fifth wheel without an "I WANT IT WOW" feeling. Look at the real cabinet storage space for pots, pans, dishes, glasses, etc.. Bathroom storage for towels, soap, and cleaning supplies. It can be smaller that it looks. Closet space is limited. We solved it by installing a Splendid washer/dryer combo. Again not a factory option. Need a good air compressor. Viair 400P or 450P Portable Air Compressor is my recommendation. A good set of chocks such as X-Chocks. Get a heavy duty sewer hose such as Rhino Extreme. There are as good or better sewer hoses on the market. Don't get the cheep ones. Also a clear section of sewer pipe to view just how clean you have flushed your black tank (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/clearview-5-sewer-adapter-with-bayonet-lugs/22172), and unless you want to someday have brown trout and wrapping paper around your feet, get a screw on sewer valve http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/twist-on-valve/27868. Need a good pressure regulator such as https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Reg...794391&sr=8-13&keywords=rv+pressure+regulator. A 25' and 50' drinking water hose as long as you fill your fresh water tank, you can disconnect the hose on freezing nights and skip the heated hose option. A separate gray water tank flush hose which I use a standard home garden hose. If you want to use a good TP such as Costco's brand, get Happy Camper tank treatment. You can use any septic tank approved labeled TP and not worry.

Oregon_Camper

..... Again not a factory option. Need a good air compressor. Viair 400P or 450P Portable Air Compressor is my recommendation. A good set of chocks such as X-Chocks. Get a heavy duty sewer hose such as Rhino Extreme. There are as good or better sewer hoses on the market. Don't get the cheep ones. Also a clear section of sewer pipe to view just how clean you have flushed your black tank and unless you want to someday have brown trout and wrapping paper around your feet, get a screw on sewer valve. Need a good pressure regulator, a 25' and 50' drinking water hose. A separate gray water tank flush hose which I use a standard home garden hose. If you want to use a good TP such as Costco's brand, get Happy Camper tank treatment. You can use any septic tank approved labeled TP and not worry.

Might have to enlist Marc to write on my Blog...he covered about most of the stuff on my "must have" and "Should have" list. :)

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/copy-of-should-have-items/

Bellottej

I really appreciate all the responses. One more question.....anybody care to recommend a dealer? Couch's RV Nation seems to be working with us pretty well on a Big Country, but haven't really found anyone yet for a Big Horn, and that is what we're really leaning toward. The few I have spoken with are not real big on factory orders. I have no issue with buying off the lot, but not too many have the options we need here in northern VA (stationed at FT Belvoir). Thanks again!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome from a fellow Texan!

We fulltime in a Big Country.

The Bighorn and Big Country (and Landmark) are made on the same assembly line, with the same crews, so there is not a major difference there. There are a lot of similarities in the two brands BH and BC, but the differences at first glance may be subtle. I once compared a BH 3970RD to our BC 4010RD. The plans were similar, but in many ways they are different.

BH:
Larger windows
more light switches and wall plugs
fancier cabinetry
fancier slide out trim
nicer trim around the entry door
more drawer storage in the bedroom
fancier headboard
surround sound with subwoofer (no sub in BC)
nicer vent fans
more decorative window treatments
Larger axles (unit weighed more)
full molded fiberglass rear cap (BC has partial molded fiberglass)
power cord reel
separate slide out switches for each slide (BC has one switch for living area, one for bedroom, but separate isolation valves in front compartment.)

That was what I observed.... but there may be even more differences in the "inner workings" that I could not see.

Is the Big Country a great fulltime rig? YES! We love ours. And we don't "wish" for a Bighorn. We also truly prefer the decor in the Big Country.

The only other advice I would give: Be sure to check out www.fifthwheelst.com to completely understand what your tow vehicle can handle. Do not trust salesmen or public opinion.

Hope to see you in a Heartland soon!

Erika

Kbvols

I really appreciate all the responses. One more question.....anybody care to recommend a dealer? Couch's RV Nation seems to be working with us pretty well on a Big Country, but haven't really found anyone yet for a Big Horn, and that is what we're really leaning toward. The few I have spoken with are not real big on factory orders. I have no issue with buying off the lot, but not too many have the options we need here in northern VA (stationed at FT Belvoir). Thanks again!

You may want to contact RV wholesaler located in Ohio. I ordered our BH from them this past March and were very pleased with the price, purchasing process , responsiveness and PDI. I have not had any service work completed so cannot comment regarding.

Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DirtyMax88

My two cents, I would NOT recommend McGeorge RV (in Ashland, Va) for purchase (if you were considering them).

I'd like to add about the MorRyde Independent Suspension (and disc brakes combo). It has been the best purchase for us by far. We did ours at the beginning of December, when they were a little slower, and they gave us a decent discount on the over all price. First class facility in my opinion. If you are going to haul your new BigHorn all over the country (especially Alaska), you will definitely not regret the investment.

Also, THANK YOU for your service!

CoveredWagon

How far are you willing to travel to take delivery ?

- - - Updated - - -

[

kowAlski631

We lived in Bowie MD when we ordered our BH from McGeorge's in Ashland. I understand that they were purchased by a big company and the experience may have changed. We special ordered ours because the ones on the lots didn't have the options high on our list and we didn't want to settle. We had a bit of pushback from dealers on making a factory order (suspect they wanted to reduce their inventory rather than make a buyer happy). Bottom line - it's your money. Don't settle. We still love our BH 5 years later.

Martha

DirtyMax88

We lived in Bowie MD when we ordered our BH from McGeorge's in Ashland. I understand that they were purchased by a big company and the experience may have changed. We special ordered ours because the ones on the lots didn't have the options high on our list and we didn't want to settle. We had a bit of pushback from dealers on making a factory order (suspect they wanted to reduce their inventory rather than make a buyer happy). Bottom line - it's your money. Don't settle. We still love our BH 5 years later.

Martha

Dang, you were right down the road from us, we live in Davidsonville! :)

'Lil Guy'

Lone Star RV in Houston on the north side can help with Big Horns and will special order to fit your needs. I've bought 3 units from them and there make ready is very good. Your PDI will be done with the basement walls open to expose all plumbing and electrical while you're hooked up to water and shore power which is a good time to add a hard wired surge protector to your RV. If you decide to use them or to talk to them, ask for Rod Chapman. On any new rig, multiple issues arise do to pushing rigs off the assembly line ASAP. Rod will see that his service hands allocate all the time needed to get the rig ready to eliminate some of the dumb issues that pop up. PM me if you would like his cell number. Good luck in your new endeavor and no, I don't have any affiliation with LS RV other than I know Rod and his service hands.

mlpeloquin

Might have to enlist Marc to write on my Blog...he covered about most of the stuff on my "must have" and "Should have" list. :)

https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/copy-of-should-have-items/

Just checked and we have most of the items you show. We have a different water filter system and use the Dyson that came with our Big Horn. We have all the rest!

I forgot the most important thing, surge and voltage protection. Progressive hardwired electrical management system, EMS-LCHW50. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products This is a must. An external one at the minimum. We also ran into a power park low voltage problem. Constantly low 108V to 106V. The Progressive saved out rigs electronics by disconnecting. This was an on again off again through several days. If a supply store was near by I would have gotten an autoformer. http://tweetys.com/hughes-autoformers-2.aspx You may never need this so just be aware that the product exist for future reference. In all the time we have been in parks across the country, only once did this happen. Why did we not pick up and go? We were with a group traveling together so we ran on batteries and propane. We only plugged in after ten at night when the voltage was a fantastic 112V!

Gaffer

Check out the build sheets and research available options. Our first 5er was a Bighorn and I looked long and hard at the Big Country when we were ready to order our next rig. Some of the options I wanted were not available on the Big Country and when I priced out all the BC options that were standard on the Bighorn there was not a big price difference so I stayed with the Bighorn

kowAlski631

Dang, you were right down the road from us, we live in Davidsonville! :)

So, I assume you have tried to deal with the dealer in Crofton. They weren't enthusiastic about ordering for us. And they tried to jack up everything we wanted. Final straw was "if you don't buy from us, don't even think about getting service here - we won't talk to you." Hopefully they changed.

Left MD about 5 years ago when we retired. Now, wonderfully happy in SC and traveling whenever we want in our BH. People are right - get the build sheets for both, compare included vs options, and what isn't available on one that you simply cannot do without. You won't go wrong getting dual panes windows and the Yeti package. Get as many AC units as you can. Don't know if the central vac is an option, but we'd save the $$ and get a Dyson. Another must have for us is our stacked washer and dryer.

Have fun!