A C Problem?

david5311

So we were fall camping at our favorite lake. Nights were chilly, days were warm. We had the heater on one night and got up early to go fishing. When we got back in the afternoon the fifth wheel was very warm. Turned off the heater on the thermostat and turned on the AC on the thermostat. Heard the compressor come on but no air coming from the vents. The fan was not blowing air. Turned the fan to manual and still nothing. Messed with it for awhile and still nothing. The wife said we tried it the next day but I don’t remember if we did or not. Have had the 5th wheel Park for a couple of weeks and went out and turned on AC and everything is working fine. Fan is working. Do we have a problem or did we do something wrong when we went from heat to AC?
thanks for any help
David

wdk450

Compressor coming on indicates AC power present at air conditioner control board.
Compressor coming on indicates at least some thermostat/wiring/control board relay functions. Separate fan control wiring may still be suspect.

If this happens again, try just turning on the fan at the thermostat and listening closely for the relay "click" under the air conditioner from the control board. This will tell you if the thermostat/wiring /control board are doing their jobs.
Possibly you had an intermittent wiring connection that re-contacted after all of the shaking going down the road going home. The telephone-type connections into the back of thermostat and into the control board are notorious for bad crimps. I don't know of any self-resetting circuit breakers on the fan AC circuits.

The physical obstruction of the fan mentioned before may be accurate, although I believe the fan motor has a good deal of torque. It might be worthwhile to check under the shroud, and maybe even clean a little, and oil the fan motor ends.

david5311

Thanks for the ideas to look at. We have a few things we are going to get the dealer to look at over the winter. I don’t have much hope the dealer will do anything especially if they can’t duplicate the issue.
wdk450, I will do everything you suggested.
Thanks
David