Surge protection?

rhino_160

Just picked up my new to.me 2014 Cyclone 3100. I noticed during the walk thru with the previous owner, upon firing the generator there was a few second delay before delivery of power was accepted in the TH. My question is, is there an onboard factory surge protection unit on these rigs? I.E. a progressive or similar surge protector to protect against low/high voltage, faulty ground, etc? I installed an inline one on my last pull behind and it had the same delay in power after I did. If not, I need to add one, thankd

danemayer

Hi Rhino,

I don't think a 2014 Cyclone would have come with a surge protector or Electrical Management System that includes surge protection and other functions. You can either install an inline model, or use a portable.

The delay when starting the generator is a function of the automatic transfer switch. From the Progressive PD5200 manual:
  • When power is applied to the shore side, the contactor activates and supplies power to the panel.
  • When power is applied to the Gen side there is a 20-45 second delay then the Gen side contact will activate, power will go to the panel from the Gen side and the shore side will be locked out.