Favorite Portable Pellet Grill

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Did you have any New England steamers or New England clam chowder

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Chowder yes. We eat seafood, especially shellfish, at every opportunity.
No steamers though. We kinda watch the quantity we eat plus the one shellfish neither of us have an appetite for is mussels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Fox - while I do carry a "portable" smoker (though not lightweight) and enjoy using it on the road when setup for a week. Like you, I also enjoy bringing previously smoked and frozen meats. I use the heck out of my vacuum sealer at home and I freeze smoked ribs in 1/3 to 1/2 racks, pulled pork in 1/2 to 1 pound packs etc. Good stuff.
Jim I use a Cobb grill. Small compact and has many accessories. I have smoked fish ,tri tip,to whole chicken roasters. The moat collects the drippings and keeps what your cooking moist. I have one for the house as well. You can pick it up whenever you want as the sides do not get hot. It's perfect for Christine and myself. Excellent compact grill.fischgriller_cobb3.jpegcobb-grill.jpegDSC01265.jpeg51Nba30eZCL.jpeg

jbeletti

Jim I use a Cobb grill. Small compact and has many accessories. I have smoked fish ,tri tip,to whole chicken roasters. The moat collects the drippings and keeps what your cooking moist. I have one for the house as well. You can pick it up whenever you want as the sides do not get hot. It's perfect for Christine and myself. Excellent compact grill.

Nice Carl. That's a lot of cooking from a dozen charcoal briquettes.

carl.swoyer

Nice Carl. That's a lot of cooking from a dozen charcoal briquettes.
If you pack the charcoals nice and tight I can cook for four to five hours at 350 to 500 ° .
If needed I can also add some more charcoal but very seldom need to. I put wood chips on to of the charcoals.

travelin2

Anyone try smoking a loaf of scrapple??

I’m a thinking some apple smoke might be tasty

travelin2

Who’s smoking their Thanksgiving turkey today other than us??

c4b44a3f641aaad6e52b9b09e2718975.jpg

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Who’s smoking their Thanksgiving turkey today other than us??

c4b44a3f641aaad6e52b9b09e2718975.jpg

That looks amazing! How did it turn out?

Rod

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so we are Pellet-cooking converts! Tony cooked some t-bones one weekend, and just burgers and smoked some baby-backs. Wow!

25482cc3d07b59b4599ab8570b740857.jpg

Is the Davy Crocket your first Pellet grill and if not, how would you compare it to your previous grills? I and really leaning toward getting the Davy Crocket but really want some feedback from someone who has it but has had another brand prior.

Rod

- - - Updated - - -

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:

For20hunter

Good! No one turned up their noses at it LOL!!
Good smoke ring. Moist and flavorful.
Haven’t cooked anything yet that wasn’t tasty

Thanks! I am really comparing the Traeger Tailgater, Green Mountain Davy Crocket and the Rec Tec Trailblazer. If the Rec Tec wasn't so darn expensive it would be a no brainer, however since it is, I am really trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money, or if I save big money and go with the Davy Crocket or stay in the middle with the Traeger. My friend has the Traeger Tailgater and on days where the ambient temps outside are really cold the Traeger won't keep to low smoke settings and shuts off unless he turns it up. I don't personally know anyone who has the Davy Crocket, so I am only going on the reviews online and here. Jim and others on the form rave about the Rec Tec, so I am now kind of leaning that way. Its just such a huge chunk of change.

Rod

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the Rec Tec wasn't so darn expensive it would be a no brainer, however since it is, I am really trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money.

Rod
IMHO it is worth it. I have two of em. The WiFi controller is awesome. A couple weeks ago I did a pork shoulder that took 17 hours. It was an over nighter.
Nice to just roll over in bed a 3 am and check the look at the app for the temp of the meat and grill.
But in the end they all work.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Yep. Copy on the RecTec. I went with the Traeger for several reasons...
It was the first brand I had first experienced at a HL rally
Obviously the price. Ours is the Tailgater model saw BF price of $399 this weekend
Lightweight. 60 lbs. size and weight make it easy for me to load and haul along in the BH
Yes. Cold weather has an effect but the same exists with a charcoal smoker when you’re outdoors and it’s cold and windy. Ours has never shut down. Using mine right now...20* and windy out. Smoking spareribs at 225
Good luck with your search

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That looks amazing! How did it turn out?

Rod

- - - Updated - - -

Is the Davy Crocket your first Pellet grill and if not, how would you compare it to your previous grills? I and really leaning toward getting the Davy Crocket but really want some feedback from someone who has it but has had another brand prior.

Rod

- - - Updated - - -

Rod

Rod, we haven't had a pellet smoker before. We've only cooked on propane grills. In comparison to the smaller Traegers we've seen, the GMG looks better-made and has more features.

It hasn't disappointed us yet. Tony's cooked ribs, steaks, pork butt, chicken, and burgers, so far, and everything has been great!

It's also not too heavy to carry and get in and out of the basement of the rig.

travelin2

Lyle, that looks great. What was your cook time?

Peace
Dave

12+# bird with filling. Roughly 7 hrs. First 2 at 180, makes lots of smoke. Then I jacked up the heat to 350 to finish. Internal temp was 190

Wasn’t going to stuff it initially (Traeger does have recipes) but was in the hardware store where I purchased mine chatting with the mgr. Topic got around to our Traegers and he said he’d done stuffed birds without issue so we tried it. IMO-it tasted better than an oven baked bird.

For20hunter

IMHO it is worth it. I have two of em. The WiFi controller is awesome. A couple weeks ago I did a pork shoulder that took 17 hours. It was an over nighter.
Nice to just roll over in bed a 3 am and check the look at the app for the temp of the meat and grill.
But in the end they all work.

Peace
Dave

Yep. Copy on the RecTec. I went with the Traeger for several reasons...
It was the first brand I had first experienced at a HL rally
Obviously the price. Ours is the Tailgater model saw BF price of $399 this weekend
Lightweight. 60 lbs. size and weight make it easy for me to load and haul along in the BH
Yes. Cold weather has an effect but the same exists with a charcoal smoker when you’re outdoors and it’s cold and windy. Ours has never shut down. Using mine right now...20* and windy out. Smoking spareribs at 225
Good luck with your search

Rod, we haven't had a pellet smoker before. We've only cooked on propane grills. In comparison to the smaller Traegers we've seen, the GMG looks better-made and has more features.

It hasn't disappointed us yet. Tony's cooked ribs, steaks, pork butt, chicken, and burgers, so far, and everything has been great!

It's also not too heavy to carry and get in and out of the basement of the rig.

Thanks all! Erika, have you guys cooked in weather where the outside temps were under 40 degrees? If so, any issues?

Rod

travelin2

I’m going to do this 8# hunk of sirloin for the guys at deer camp on Sunday
c4b952c773fcf9551b6d05082faa9a3e.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks all! Erika, have you guys cooked in weather where the outside temps were under 40 degrees? If so, any issues?

Rod

Rod, no we haven't. Only had it since July, and coldest Tony said he's used it was mid 40s.