SOLVED - Inverter GFI Issue

gfnesbitt

I have a Magnum Dimensions CSW1012 inverter with the Insignia double drawer/side by side refrigerator (2017 Oshkosh). We had a 5 hour power failure at our RV resort yesterday. After about the first half hour of the power failure I decided to check the fridge and it was off. I checked the inverter and the GFI was tripped. I reset the GFI, went inside and checked the fridge, all seemed well. I checked again in five minutes, still on, fifteen minutes later, it was off, the GFI tripped again. I could never get the fridge to remain on for more than fifteen minutes. I turned the inverter off/on, status light was green. Never really verified the inverter at PDI since we were plugged into utility power other than it was on. We traveled over 6,000 miles with over 20 overnights and all this time I thought the fridge was on while towing. Lesson learned. Any suggestions on cause and trouble shooting?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
Re: Inverter GFI Issue

Check the outlet box under the slide for a bad or loose ground wire. Wino2 has had problem with his tripping. They replaced the inverter and still tripped. He had in the shop four or five times and they could not fix the problem. At my last rally I took the elec box apart and found a disconnected ground wire. All fixed. Floyd

gfnesbitt

Check the outlet box under the slide for a bad or loose ground wire. Wino2 has had problem with his tripping. They replaced the inverter and still tripped. He had in the shop four or five times and they could not fix the problem. At my last rally I took the elec box apart and found a disconnected ground wire. All fixed. Floyd

Will do. I will let you know what I find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gfnesbitt

If the only thing you plan to use the inverter for is the fridge, replace the receptacle with a non GFCI type, preferably a single outlet.

I took every outlet box (3 total) cover off and checked/rewired the ground. Turned off the power and the fridge ran for about ten minutes on the inverter/batteries, then the GFI tripped. May have to go with a non GFI outlet as suggested. Does not look like any easy task taking out the inverter and the taking the inverter apart.

Oregon_Camper

I took every outlet box (3 total) cover off and checked/rewired the ground. Turned off the power and the fridge ran for about ten minutes on the inverter/batteries, then the GFI tripped. May have to go with a non GFI outlet as suggested. Does not look like any easy task taking out the inverter and the taking the inverter apart.

You might wan to PM Jim Beletti about this, before you tear apart your inverter. I know Jim was having the exact same issue with the inverter in his Landmark...not sure what he finally did to resolve the problem.

gfnesbitt

You might wan to PM Jim Beletti about this, before you tear apart your inverter. I know Jim was having the exact same issue with the inverter in his Landmark...not sure what he finally did to resolve the problem.

I do not know Jim Beletti’s id to PM

jbeletti

Replied to your PM Gary. I haven’t figured mine out yet so I have no ideas for you other than to call Service at 877-262-8032.

I did replace the inverter with no luck.

gfnesbitt

Replied to your PM Gary. I haven’t figured mine out yet so I have no ideas for you other than to call Service at 877-262-8032.

I did replace the inverter with no luck.

I called the inverter manufacturer and I have one thing left to try. He wants me to plug my 50 amp plug into a 15 amp GFI outlet on my service pedestal with the 50 to 15 adapter plug. Turn off all power to everything but the fridge and see if the GFI trips. I called Heartland, they offered to replace the inverter. Unfortunately they do not know the difference between a surge or a sag.

jbeletti

That’s a great idea. Maybe even easier if you plug the refer into an extension cord and plug the cord into the GFI circuit in the coach.

gfnesbitt

That’s a great idea. Maybe even easier if you plug the refer into an extension cord and plug the cord into the GFI circuit in the coach.

I thought of that but don’t want to tackle pulling that fridge out to get to the plug.

jbeletti

Gary, I “think” the refer receptacle is in a base cabinet next to the refer. Take a look.

gfnesbitt

Found it! Will let you know tomorrow.

I plugged the fridge into my bathroom gfci outlet with an extension cord. It ran fine for over an hour. I then plugged it directly to the inverter with the extension cord and after 5 minutes the gfci tripped. I then plugged my TV (two prong plug) into the inverter and it ran an hour with no issues, then my orbital polisher, no problems. I got an RMA to send it back for a replacement. I do have a small apartment size fridge I may try before I send it back. It has a three prong plug. There seems to be something the inverter gfci does not like about my fridge but my bathroom gfci had no problems.

jbeletti

I plugged the fridge into my bathroom gfci outlet with an extension cord. It ran fine for over an hour. I then plugged it directly to the inverter with the extension cord and after 5 minutes the gfci tripped. I then plugged my TV (two prong plug) into the inverter and it ran an hour with no issues, then my orbital polisher, no problems. I got an RMA to send it back for a replacement. I do have a small apartment size fridge I may try before I send it back. It has a three prong plug. There seems to be something the inverter gfci does not like about my fridge but my bathroom gfci had no problems.

Gary,

Other items in downstream from the inverter GCI receptacle:
  • Transfer Switch
  • Romex wiring from Transfer Switch to Junction Box on the RV frame
  • Wire Nut Connectors in the Junction Box
  • Flexible Wire from Junction Box to Refer AC Receptacle
  • Refer AC Receptacle
I opened the Junction Box on my frame and checked all connections. Looked good to me. I did not remove/replace the Refer AC Receptacle but that's an option.

Maybe try to another device in the Refer AC Receptacle with the Refer unplugged and see if it trips the Inverter GFI Receptacle.

porthole

Retired

Jim, are these inverters made in such a way that you can't just replace the GFCI with a regular outlet?

jbeletti

Jim, are these inverters made in such a way that you can't just replace the GFCI with a regular outlet?

Duane - I'm not certain but assume one could replace the outlet with a rectangular non-GFCI outlet. That said, Heartland could not recommend doing so. For my own coach, it will be my choice of last resort, if I can't track anything else down as the culprit.

gfnesbitt

Duane - I'm not certain but assume one could replace the outlet with a rectangular non-GFCI outlet. That said, Heartland could not recommend doing so. For my own coach, it will be my choice of last resort, if I can't track anything else down as the culprit.

The outlet is encased by the inverter. Look up the CSW1012 made by Magnum-Dimensions (Sensata). It does not look like an easy task and most likely void the warranty. They are replacing mine. I will post the results after I install the new inverter.