SOLVED - Inverter GFI Issue

gfnesbitt

My Inverter GVI is still popping after 30 minutes. It's been like this since new and I just now have the time to troubleshoot it. I just bypassed all the wiring and switch with a 12 gage cord from the Inverter directly to the Refrigerator and it's still popping 20 or 30 minutes after I plugged it in. Correct me if I wrong here
it's got to be the Refrigerator or Inverter?
I will call Heartland tomorrow. I will post updates here,

Mike,

I had the same problem.

1 - I took all the junction boxes apart and verified sound wiring/grounds
2 - I plugged the fridge directly into the GFCI in my bathroom outlet. It ran fine.
3 - I plugged the fridge into the shore power GFCI. Ran fine.
4 - I plugged it back into the inverter and after about 10 minutes it would pop the GFCI.
5 - Called Heartland and they had me send my inverter back to Magnum.
6- Received new unit and once installed, I have not had any issues. I did add the remote LED for peace of mind while not on shore power. The packing slip with the new unit indicated the system board was defective on the one I sent back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Mike (mikeandconnie) and I spoke today and I gave him my update so I thought I'd post that here.

It "appears" that I have solved my inverter issue without finding a conclusive cause to what was causing the GFCI outlet on 2 inverters to trip after a short period of time. I did a bunch of testing. Finally, I swapped out the GFCi outlet on the inverter with a non-GFCI version. The swap-out was pretty straight forward.

I have traveled 2 days (not back to back) and the inverter has stayed on all day each of those travel days. The inverter input voltage cut-off is 10.5 volts. So I guess my batteries never dipped below that. I also apparently never drew more wattage than the inverter could put out. In testing, Mike told me he was able to get his inverter to shut down by using a hair dryer on high. That makes sense and it's good to hear that the inverter will stop trying to invert when when the current draw is higher than its rating.

A longer term test on my end is needed to know if I will be trouble free.

Here's a link to some pics of my mod.

carl.swoyer

Mike (mikeandconnie) and I spoke today and I gave him my update so I thought I'd post that here.

It "appears" that I have solved my inverter issue without finding a conclusive cause to what was causing the GFCI outlet on 2 inverters to trip after a short period of time. I did a bunch of testing. Finally, I swapped out the GFCi outlet on the inverter with a non-GFCI version. The swap-out was pretty straight forward.

I have traveled 2 days (not back to back) and the inverter has stayed on all day each of those travel days. The inverter input voltage cut-off is 10.5 volts. So I guess my batteries never dipped below that. I also apparently never drew more wattage than the inverter could put out. In testing, Mike told me he was able to get his inverter to shut down by using a hair dryer on high. That makes sense and it's good to hear that the inverter will stop trying to invert when when the current draw is higher than its rating.

A longer term test on my end is needed to know if I will be trouble free.

Here's a link to some pics of my mod.
Jim ,
I've updated myself from post 1.
I'm wondering if you all are experiencing" lock rotar amperage.? This happens when the residential frig wants to kick on.
The start up amperage required by the frig compressor/motor may be more than the available ( insufficient batteries and or Miss matched inverter). I had the very same problem with my 07. I had an 18 cube amana residential frig. The factory matched it to a 600 Watt inverter made by Magnum energy.
After four inverter swaps we went to the 800 Watt and never had any issues again.
Your inverter may be dedicated however possibly miss matched.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim ,
I've updated myself from post 1.
I'm wondering if you all are experiencing" lock rotar amperage.? This happens when the residential frig wants to kick on.
The start up amperage required by the frig compressor/motor may be more than the available ( insufficient batteries and or Miss matched inverter). I had the very same problem with my 07. I had an 18 cube amana residential frig. The factory matched it to a 600 Watt inverter made by Magnum energy.
After four inverter swaps we went to the 800 Watt and never had any issues again.
Your inverter may be dedicated however possibly miss matched.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Carl - you suggestion makes sense but there are a lot of these Insignia refers out there and I've heard of very few issues like this with them. Unless I have a "special" one. That said, I'll stick with my fix and see how it holds up longer term.