oxygen concentrators

We have an oxygen concentrator Perfecto 2 and was wandering if it will take to much electricity in the camper that we can't run anything else or have to be selective in what we run?

mlpeloquin

The unit uses three amps of current. Should not be a problem at all. I purchased two different ones for my wife, One is taller and heavy that we keep in the RV bedroom and the other is light that she can carry like a purse when walking around. Here is the user manual for the Perfecto 2.

https://www.invacare.com/doc_files/1143482.pdf

danemayer

Not a problem at all if you're on shore power. If you're asking about running on battery, that's different. The 280 watts it needs, supplied by an inverter, would probably exceed 25 amps at 12V DC from the battery. Even if you could use a 12V power supply for the concentrator, it would still be a lot.

We have an oxygen concentrator Perfecto 2 and was wandering if it will take to much electricity in the camper that we can't run anything else or have to be selective in what we run?
If an oxygen concentrator takes 3 amps for comparitiveness what does a coffee maker or a toaster take?

mlpeloquin

Not a problem at all if you're on shore power. If you're asking about running on battery, that's different. The 280 watts it needs, supplied by an inverter, would probably exceed 25 amps at 12V DC from the battery. Even if you could use a 12V power supply for the concentrator, it would still be a lot.

Yes I agree. I did a bad thing assumed 120VAC and didn't ask. It is a 120V only unit. So at 3 amps at 80% efficiency to be conservative, it will draw 34.5 amps on 12.5V. AT 88% inverter efficiency draws 32.24amps. So if it is going thru an inverter, perhaps a different concentrator that runs on 12VDC battery would be a choice. Not cheep at about $2.8K. Both of ours have Lithium Ion batteries and also plug into a 12VDC source. Otherwise four 6V larger capacity batteries might get them through the night, then solar panels, and perhaps a generator. Two standard 12V deep cycle batteries that the dealers install would last maybe about two to three hours or so. I draw 34 amps on my inverter when traveling and have the trucks alternator to help. We can go about 5 hours that way.

- - - Updated - - -

If an oxygen concentrator takes 3 amps for comparitiveness what does a coffee maker or a toaster take?

It depends on the manufacture and model.

Coffee maker 12 to 15 amps. Ours 12.5 amps.

Toaster 12 to 15 amps. Ours 13.5 amps for toast. Well at least the old one. I have to check the draw on the new one.

wdk450

Always beware of the enhanced fire danger near oxygen concentrators. We have pretty good fires with a normal atmosphere of only 21% oxygen. The oxygen concentrators produce 100% oxygen. Remember the glowing wood splinter bursting into flame when placed in a test tube of pure oxygen in chemistry class?

mlpeloquin

Always beware of the enhanced fire danger near oxygen concentrators. We have pretty good fires with a normal atmosphere of only 21% oxygen. The oxygen concentrators produce 100% oxygen. Remember the glowing wood splinter bursting into flame when placed in a test tube of pure oxygen in chemistry class?

Most of the Oxygen is used up when your using it. This is a required medical device. The oxygen concentrators produce a two to three of leaders of oxygen per minuet on max setting. If they were that dangerous, why would airlines allow them on airplanes? Now you should take precautions not to use near open flames, but I have seen a person smoking using one!