Systems Monitor stopped working

ORV1980

Sherman
This morning when I touched the touch screen for the Systems Monitor to check the tank levels it did not respond. It still was illuminated and had the Heartland logo but would not respond to touch. All the 12 volt systems in the RV were working except for running the water heater on 12V/propane.

I checked all the connections in the battery bay, everything is tight and looks clean.

I finally disconnected shore power, turned of the battery disconnects, turned everything back on, and now the touch screen works again.
The water heater still does not work on 12V (I get the DSI fault).

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Thanks,
Sherman

jbeletti

Sherman - sounds like power-cycling the KIB multiplex system was the key to restoring operation of the monitor panel. As for the water heater, has it ever worked for you on propane?

Perhaps time to check the fuse for this control circuit in the KIB system. In your Newport, in the coat closet at the steps going to the upper-deck, locate a wood cover in the bottom of this closet. Remove the 4 screws holding it in place and remove the cover. Use a flashlight to read the fuses on the control boards there. Look for the one marked "12V HTR". Pull the fuse and test it with a VOM on resistance. Should be 0 resistance (dead short).

Also, review pages 5 and 6 of the owner written userguide for the KIB system at this link.

ORV1980

Sherman
Sherman - sounds like power-cycling the KIB multiplex system was the key to restoring operation of the monitor panel. As for the water heater, has it ever worked for you on propane?

Perhaps time to check the fuse for this control circuit in the KIB system. In your Newport, in the coat closet at the steps going to the upper-deck, locate a wood cover in the bottom of this closet. Remove the 4 screws holding it in place and remove the cover. Use a flashlight to read the fuses on the control boards there. Look for the one marked "12V HTR". Pull the fuse and test it with a VOM on resistance. Should be 0 resistance (dead short).

Also, review pages 5 and 6 of the owner written userguide for the KIB system at this link.

Jim,
The water heater did not work on propane when we first got it, then it started working when the KIB system seemed to reset it self as we discussed before. The last time I ran it on propane was about a week ago and it worked fine. I think I talked to you also about the tank pads blowing the fuse. I think you are right, there are some issues with KIB control board or relays.

I see the panel you refer to in the coat closet, but it is to late to dig into it tonight.
If I can not figure it out, I do have an appointment at Premier in January. Hopefully I can keep things running until then.

Thank you for your guidance again,
Sherman

ORV1980

Sherman
The Systems Monitor is locking up at least twice a week now. I looked for a fuse or relay but can't find anything marked Systems Monitor.
I can reset it by cutting shore power and turning off the 12V disconnect. If we were traveling every couple days it would probably not be an issue but we will be staying in one spot for a few months.
I don't know where to go next on this.
Thanks,
Sherman

jbeletti

Sherman - on Monday, contact KIB at (800) 250-7051. They may be able to walk you through some diagnostics.

If you haven't already done so, consider downloading and printing the owner-written User Guide on this product (KIB Multi-plex Control System V1.0.pdf) - from this page.

danemayer

Sherman,

With respect to the tank monitors, I'd suggest carefully pulling the entire panel away from the wall. There should be 2 connectors. One is a 3 wire connector. You want the other one.

White - GND
Red - 12V battery
Gray - Gray 1 Tank
Black - Gray 2 Tank
Brown - Black Tank
Blue - Fresh Tank.

My guess is either an intermittent connection on 12V or Ground lines, or a defective panel.

On the Water Heater, there are quite a few things that can cause the propane side to not work. From a KIB perspective, you'd need to locate the control boards and find the one with the water heater 12V fuse. Once there, check the fuse and also that the indicator lights are responding as described in the user guide Jim pointed to.

ORV1980

Sherman
Sherman - on Monday, contact KIB at (800) 250-7051. They may be able to walk you through some diagnostics.

If you haven't already done so, consider downloading and printing the owner-written User Guide on this product (KIB Multi-plex Control System V1.0.pdf) - from this page.

Jim,
Thank you for the phone number, I will call them tomorrow and see what they suggest.

I have downloaded the user guide but did not find anything that helped me for this problem.

Thanks,
Sherman

ORV1980

Sherman
Sherman,

With respect to the tank monitors, I'd suggest carefully pulling the entire panel away from the wall. There should be 2 connectors. One is a 3 wire connector. You want the other one.

White - GND
Red - 12V battery
Gray - Gray 1 Tank
Black - Gray 2 Tank
Brown - Black Tank
Blue - Fresh Tank.

My guess is either an intermittent connection on 12V or Ground lines, or a defective panel.

On the Water Heater, there are quite a few things that can cause the propane side to not work. From a KIB perspective, you'd need to locate the control boards and find the one with the water heater 12V fuse. Once there, check the fuse and also that the indicator lights are responding as described in the user guide Jim pointed to.

Dan,
I will pull the panel and check out the wiring. I am thinking that you are right though, that it is a defective panel.

On the water heater, I have checked out the KIB control board. The fuse is good (checked it with a meter) and the indicator lights are responding correctly as far as I understand.

I will let you know what information I get from KIB.

Thanks,
Sherman

danemayer

On the water heater, you might take a look at our Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide. It's mostly focused on the electric operation, but does get into a little bit about the propane operation.

If there is an ignition attempt at the water heater, you likely have a water heater issue, not a KIB issue.

ORV1980

Sherman

I have called KIB twice and talked to two different techs. They both promised to call me back but I still have not heard anything.

ORV1980

Sherman
I finally got a call back from KIB. They admitted that this is a known problem and the display board will need to be replaced. Since the rig is still under warranty it will have to be handled through Heartland. I have the trailer in the shop now for a bunch of warranty issues (26 items) and the monitor panel is on the list.