Thinking of buying a Bighorn Traveler, but have some questions Please share your experience

paradox

We a close to buying a Bighorn Traveler and are trying to answer a few questions. If you can help we would sure appreciate it.

How long do the propane tanks last if used for heating where the temperature averages 45 in the day and 20 at night?

What brand fireplace in used? Does it have a thermostat? Can it be left on when you away?

Is the furnace propane only or does it also work on just electric?

Has anyone left their for extended periods with the heat on, as opposed to winterizing the systems?

Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi paradox,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me take a shot as your questions. Others will likely offer advice as well.

How long do the propane tanks last if used for heating where the temperature averages 45 in the day and 20 at night? There are a lot of variables affecting propane usage. Heat transfer through windows is a major factor, so the size and number of windows has a lot to do with it. If running the water heater and refrigerator on electric, tanks will last longer. Keeping the thermostat at a lower set point will help, but you have to run the furnace enough to keep the underbelly warm, or some water lines may freeze. Size of the trailer affects usage. How often the door gets opened...etc. Best case you might get a week on a tank, but it could easily come out to 3.5 days.

What brand fireplace in used? Does it have a thermostat? Can it be left on when you away? Don't count on any particular brand, or on a brand name you might have heard of before. Suppliers are changed frequently and without notice. Most have a thermostat. As for leaving it on while away, some people do. I do not. Although the fireplaces have safety features, I'm not impressed by them, so I turn off the fireplace. Your call.

Is the furnace propane only or does it also work on just electric?
The furnace heat is generated by propane only, but needs 12V DC from the battery/Power Converter (if on shore power) to run the blower and circuit board. There is an after-market product called CheapHeat by RV Comfort Systems that adds electric capability to the furnace if you're on shore power. I have it and haven't run the furnace on propane for since installing it a year and a half ago. It works great.

Has anyone left their for extended periods with the heat on, as opposed to winterizing the systems? I would caution against doing so. If the furnace quits for any reason, including loss of propane, or loss of 12V DC, or loss of shore power if you have CheapHeat, you could have a lot of freeze damage. And running a fireplace or space heater inside the coach won't protect the water system in the underbelly and other areas.

And of course, these answers would be about the same for other trailer models and other company's products. Cold is cold.

Garypowell

From some of your questions it sounds like you have not seen this rig. Many have bought their rigs without seeing them and a few have been disappointed in the quality of what showed up. There is a current thread running about someone who had quality issues in this kind of situation. They seem to be handling it with a good attitude but many don’t.

If if you are buying long distance get a local inspector.