Going to Alaska with Toy hauler

Ottawa111

Anybody else went or planning on going to Alaska in the new year? Looking for recommendations, campgrounds, routes, activities, etc. Thanks

brianlajoie

We are going. I have the route mostly figured out. Nailing down places to stay and thing to do. I'm at 76 days so far.

jrzygrl64

We went summer 2016 - workamped near Seward for the summer and visited a lot of places (Anchorage, Homer, Whittier, Valdez, Haines, Denali, Talkeetna, Skagway, etc) - can check out my blog and read all about it - there is lots of info, especially in the 2 summary posts. Check it out here:

bkamericanodyssey.com

if you have any specific questions after reading, please feel free to ask here or send a PM.

Ottawa111

We are going. I have the route mostly figured out. Nailing down places to stay and thing to do. I'm at 76 days so far.

brian' when are you going? 2018, 2019?

We went summer 2016 - workamped near Seward for the summer and visited a lot of places (Anchorage, Homer, Whittier, Valdez, Haines, Denali, Talkeetna, Skagway, etc) - can check out my blog and read all about it - there is lots of info, especially in the 2 summary posts. Check it out here:

bkamericanodyssey.com

if you have any specific questions after reading, please feel free to ask here or send a PM.

wdk450

I would think long and hard about some suspension/frame/pinbox upgrades before driving the Alcan highway. Welded cross bracing between the I beams at the suspension hangars, or something like the MorRyde X factor system. Best of all suspension upgrades, the MorRyde Independent Suspension system with the welded in tubular steel box. Disk brakes, and an Air bag or rubber block pinbox.

This sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I hope all goes well.

GregP

We travelled from Ontario to Alaska and the Yukon in 2014. We followed the Alaska Highway North to Whitehorse then went up through Dawson City and into Alaska via the "Top of the World" highway pulling the Bighorn with no problems anywhere. As far as upgrades to your unit; that would be your choice but we didn't find the highways to be any worse than we (or possibly you) are used to in Northern Canada where we call home. Fuel is available throughout the route, but VERY pricey, especially in Northern BC. Surprisingly, fuel in the Yukon was a bit cheaper...at the time anyway. Get a current edition of the MILEPOST if you don't have one already. It is a great resource for travel info and camping, tourism advice. You will love the trip. We are planning a return to the area in the future.

brianlajoie

brian' when are you going? 2018, 2019?

We are planning on going in 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think long and hard about some suspension/frame/pinbox upgrades before driving the Alcan highway. Welded cross bracing between the I beams at the suspension hangars, or something like the MorRyde X factor system. Best of all suspension upgrades, the MorRyde Independent Suspension system with the welded in tubular steel box. Disk brakes, and an Air bag or rubber block pinbox.

This sounds like the trip of a lifetime. I hope all goes well.

IS - check
Disc brakes - check
AirLift LoadLifter Ultimate suspension - check
Plan miles between stops to drive slowly - check

Working on CG versus dry camping now.

GregP

Don't let the advice regarding suspension, brake, and pin-box updates deter you from your plans. That advice is ALWAYS good, no matter where you are hauling, but we found the highways not too bad considering all of the things we had been told prior to starting on our first trip up that way. Our only regret is that we didn't allow enough time. We were late getting away from home (early July) and had to be back by mid-September. Our next trip will allow more time. It is really a big country and spectacular at every turn. We have a rule about getting fuel whenever it is available...just in case. This is the same down South as it is up in the Northern areas. Good luck and have fun!

Ottawa111

Don't let the advice regarding suspension, brake, and pin-box updates deter you from your plans. That advice is ALWAYS good, no matter where you are hauling, but we found the highways not too bad considering all of the things we had been told prior to starting on our first trip up that way. Our only regret is that we didn't allow enough time. We were late getting away from home (early July) and had to be back by mid-September. Our next trip will allow more time. It is really a big country and spectacular at every turn. We have a rule about getting fuel whenever it is available...just in case. This is the same down South as it is up in the Northern areas. Good luck and have fun!
OK thank you . And yes I hope to have lots of fun!

chiefneon

Howdy!

We went to Alaska in 2008 and are planning now to go again in 2018. We plan to leave Texas no later than April and cross into Canada late May headed to Alaska and stay until September. The only thing we learned on our first trip is take your time and enjoy the adventure. The roads can get ruff and you don’t want to have a breakdown there so simply slow down when the going gets ruff.

”Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

212Pilot

We went in up to Alaska in March of this year and came back down in August. Too early on both. This year we plan to travel up in mid April and down late September. Get the Milepost as a starting point in your planning. The roads through Canada are in great shape but from Destruction Bay to the border they get progressively worse. Lots of frost heaves on Alaska roads especially the Tok Cutoff but just go slow and enjoy the trip. We have a tendency to push through and make the trip home to Alaska in 6 or 7 days but maybe we will slow down next time and enjoy it more. Contact me if you have any questions and visit when you get to Valdez.