Fresh water tank leak at connection

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Before our Thanksgiving trip, we filled the fresh tank with a little water for traveling. When we hitched up, frash water started coming out the back end of the underbelly. We put off looking into it until we returned and had time. Here is what we found:

This blue pex line we believe is the line to the water pump. Where it is connected to the tank, there is a threaded fitting. The leak is not from the threaded fitting nor the pex crimp, and not from the white line which is the fresh tank drain. The leak appears to be from where the fitting meets the tank itself, like it was never sealed properly to begin with. The pex line and the fitting at the tank do not appear to be under any stress. There doesn't appear to be any way an impact could have caused it.

IMG_0477.jpg
looking up from the underbelly, you can see the drip has flowed from the fitting along the base of the tank for a while.

IMG_0530.jpg

Here is looking up directly underneath the fitting where it attaches to the tank.

IMG_0531.jpg

Here is the drip forming. It drips about once every 12 seconds.

Can anyone recommend a way to repair this leak? We cannot replace the tank at this time. We head out again Dec 15th.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 93

Gary521

You could try this. Empty the tank a ways down, Thoroughly clean the drip area. Heat the area with a hair dryer a bit. Drip on polyethylene ski bottom repair. The tank is High density polyethylene.

TravelTiger

I located a product by Loctite that may work, at least for a temporary fix.

I still have a bit of a drip and cleaned up I can see a crack, so we're waiting a little longer. We thought we might have a leak in the Anderson valve, but not so sure now. I'm not seeing water coming out of the fresh tank drain anymore.

I am going to follow up with Heartland to see what they recommend.

TravelTiger

Well, the good news is that because I had referenced this leak back before our warranty was out, Heartland has (in good faith) offered to send a new tank and pay for install. We don't see any damage caused by the water, so it's really not harmed us. However, we plan to head to the Colorado mountains this December and expect nights to be below freezing. We need our fresh tank to properly hold water. ;)

We are working to get the swap arranged but may try a temporary fix to get us through our next trip.

TravelTiger

Our temporary fix using "Flex-Mend" spray is holding for the time being, but I don't have high hopes for it. We have a new tank coming from Heartland after the First of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Just to follow up, we got the tank delivered mid January by UPS. Upon unboxing the tank, we found both overflow fittings were damaged and/or cracked the tank. I immediately sent pics to my HL Rep, but did not hear back. Since we rarely use the fresh tank, we opted to hold off on this repair until our Elkhart trip later this summer. I contacted Elaine at the Repair Center and they added it to our work-order.

TravelTiger

I failed to follow up on this thread, Heartland sent a second tank which arrived unharmed. However, I couldn’t find a local rv tech to do the work. Since we were taking our rig to Elkhart for another issue, we asked them to replace the tank as well, and they did, relocating it back from the crossmember about 3-4”. Note the new angle iron support.

77f611a9f7d790aca7c5dd2a7c1bbbe7.jpg