planning on purchasing a Bighorn next month and have some questions for the factory

Kbvols

If you have not already I would recommend to shop around on the interest rate if buying an extended warranty will lower the rate 1% they are most likely are "ripping" you off on one or the other or both.

My opinion extended warranties are just a money grab for the dealer. The margin rates for dealers are more specifically the sales person are close to 50% of the cost. The sell is it only adds $xx each month to the payment.

I never buy high ticket items such as cars/RV's unless I can pay cash for it or have arranged for my own financing. Most dealers hate this. Never tell them this until the final deal (price/trade in) are completed.

I recently helped my son buy a new to him car. The initial interest rate they presented to him was 6.5% of course they didn't disclose the rate just the payment amount. It was amazing to watch the salesman try to hook him with a payment amount with no discussion of interest rate. I had to insist on getting the interest rate from the salesman. When we told them we would pass on financing the salesman was not happy. A trip to the sales manager miraculously produced a rate of 4.3% which was competitive with what he could get as his credit score is very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bwdt

Re: planning on purchasing a Bighorn next month and have some questions for the factory (ordered unit)

2017 8000 axles where option, about 1500. wheels and tire bought at performance brakes 375 each with lug nuts, center caps and free shipping. sold old wheels and tires on craigs list for 1000. called heartland upgraded wheels and tires will not void warranty, they upgrade axles. also you get larger brakes that is nite and day. they will not give you a new gvwr sticker but that's not a problem I carry the paper work just I case. have never been checked.

Heartland does not list this option on the 39mb. Did they list it as an option on your unit, or did you call them and ask for it specifically?

- - - Updated - - -

If you have not already I would recommend to shop around on the interest rate if buying an extended warranty will lower the rate 1% they are most likely are "ripping" you off on one or the other or both.

My opinion extended warranties are just a money grab for the dealer. The margin rates for dealers are more specifically the sales person are close to 50% of the cost. The sell is it only adds $xx each month to the payment.

I never buy high ticket items such as cars/RV's unless I can pay cash for it or have arranged for my own financing. Most dealers hate this. Never tell them this until the final deal (price/trade in) are completed.

I recently helped my son buy a new to him car. The initial interest rate they presented to him was 6.5% of course they didn't disclose the rate just the payment amount. It was amazing to watch the salesman try to hook him with a payment amount with no discussion of interest rate. I had to insist on getting the interest rate from the salesman. When we told them we would pass on financing the salesman was not happy. A trip to the sales manager miraculously produced a rate of 4.3% which was competitive with what he could get as his credit score is very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm going to be calling the bank on Monday.

I also talked with an extended warranty company that was recommended on here, Viking. They have an extended warranty program which is 2500 for seven years not five years which is half the price. They also recommended that I buy the factory extended warranty and then cancel it right after purchase. This will lock in the lower rate and shorten the loan but not the monthly payment. The payment is not an issue as I will be paying it off sooner. Their warranty also comes with many payment options.
The only difference is that their warranty does not cover structural and furniture and flooring, but everything else is very similar.

danemayer

They also recommended that I buy the factory extended warranty and then cancel it right after purchase.

There is no factory extended warranty. There are only 3rd party service agreements that some sellers call extended warranties.

bwdt

There is no factory extended warranty. There are only 3rd party service agreements that some sellers call extended warranties.

You are correct. The dealer calls it a factory extended warranty so I was using their term to differentiate.

SNOKING

So looking at the Specs it says GAWR is 6750. They do not make axles at that rating. They are most likely 7K axles that HL/BH-T derated to 6750 to install poly carcass ST tires rated to 3420(AKA as china bombs). This is a chapter out of Montana's book. Not sure the Traveler goes down the same assemble line as the Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So looking at the Specs it says GAWR is 6750. They do not make axles at that rating. They are most likely 7K axles that HL/BH-T derated to 6750 to install poly carcass ST tires rated to 3420(AKA as china bombs). This is a chapter out of Montana's book. Not sure the Traveler goes down the same assemble line as the Landmark, Bighorn and Big Country?

I don't think so, the Traveler is a level below the Gateway line, so maybe on that assembly line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwdt

I talked to Heartland today and they gave me a bunch of information about their trailers.

The GVW numbers on some of the trailers are not accurate or up to date.

They raised the weight capacity of the 39mb from 15,500 to 16,000 lbs and the actual dry weight is about 500 lbs less than what is listed. this gives them a carrying capacity of about 3000 lbs. They did this when they went from an E tire to an G tire. The axles are 7000 lb axles as well. They told me that it costs money to change the weight labels and it hasn't been done yet.

They also told me that they build these with a pretty large margin to go over weight for safety and that most of the units that come in for warranty repair work are over weight by substantial numbers. They weigh every unit that comes in.

They also told me that the dual pane windows weigh about 150 lbs more and that the toppers are about 70 to 100 lbs.

Nuclearcowboy

We ordered slide toppers after reading about them. After attending a few rallys we were told by several folks who DIDN’T have them they wish they did. I was very happy with our decision to buy. I saw several people on the roof sweeping off the top of their slides before closing them.

We also had the slide toppers put on - not only does it help avoid debris accumulating on the slide tops, it helps keep the temps down on the slide tops when RVing on hot summer days.

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the replies, I added the toppers and am planning on using the Anderson Ultimate as I have gooseneck ball to install. My truck is older, but has lots of upgrades. I don't plan on doing a lot of towing, mainly staying in one area for months and months at a time.

I'm looking for as much info on the extended warranties. The dealer is trying to sell me one, of course, and the interest rate on the loan changes by 1% if I don't get it. It's not as big concern as I plan on paying it off fairly quickly.

If it is a South Bay dealer than I know which one. Our first purchase and that is what we were told. I took the bate. Way way too much for the extended warranty, but it has paid for several things without balking. Easy Care is the extended warranty that they sold me. Find a loan externally and ask others what their experience and cost has been with the extended warranty that they purchased, or pay the extra 1% and get your own extended warranty. It will save you a lot.