Big Country 4011 ERD Carrying Capacity

cmac6506

Just wondering if it's possible to order the 4011 ERD with 8000 pound axles to increase the carrying capacity and how much that would increase the weight of the trailer? I just feel that 1743 pounds isn't enough.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Upgrading axles does not increase carrying capacity. Heartland does not adjust the numbers based on any upgrade. I don't know if they would do this change at the factory or not, but you might consider doing it aftermarket if you feel it would be worth the investment. You technically should not carry more than the GVWR on the trailer.

If you want an actual factory response, call Heartland and ask for a Big Country Rep. Matthew Olds is the GM for Big Country. 877-262-8032

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

The carrying capacity does not increase do to that fact that the the frame is still rated at the original carrying capacity. I believe that changing the frame and/or axles are not a factory option.

danemayer

The problem with increasing carrying capacity is that it's never higher than the weakest link in a chain of load-carrying components. But you don't know what the weakest link is. If it's not the axles, upgrading them won't help with carrying capacity.

But upgrading the axle assemblies should make them slightly more resistant to damage from road hazards, and I think the upgrade also gives you larger brakes, which might be more significant.

NYSUPstater

We have about 2,000 lbs of "stuff" in our BC. Pretty much out of luck for anything else unless we go on a diet. 14,000 empty, 16,000 max. Old coach was 10,800 empty, 13,800 max yet we still had 2,000 libs of "stuff" and room for 1k more! Thought I was heavy at 13,000 for a trip. Now am at 16,000. Gotta love the higher HP and TQ numbers nowadays!

carl.swoyer

Just wondering if it's possible to order the 4011 ERD with 8000 pound axles to increase the carrying capacity and how much that would increase the weight of the trailer? I just feel that 1743 pounds isn't enough.
I would suggest that you stay with in the mgf specific ratings for grvw. By adding Axel's with a higher ratings, you still have the same frame. The frame structure has it's own ratings. Overload the frame you will most likely have frame failure. You could update the tires. This will allow for some room to carry more just don't exceed the MFG grvw.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have made a couple of attempts to contact the brand manager on the cargo capacity of our rig. Hopefully I will hear back from this person soon. The biggest question I have is how they added so much more weight to this rig when the rear has so much empty space under the back end. If I do here from Heartland I will let you know what they say.