Winterizing Big Country

txfnp12

I am planning on winterizing my Big Country this week. It is currently at an RV park without full hookups. My question is: Can I run antifreeze through the lines and THEN dump the tanks or am I better off using a portable tote tank and emptying the tanks first?

Thanks,

Alana

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

HI txfnp12,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum posting side. I'm sure you will get some answers soon.

This guide may help you also.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

I am planning on winterizing my Big Country this week. It is currently at an RV park without full hookups. My question is: Can I run antifreeze through the lines and THEN dump the tanks or am I better off using a portable tote tank and emptying the tanks first?

There is really no difference either way. You should not be putting antifreeze into the tanks, as it is not needed.

Assuming you winterize first and then later dump the tanks, the only thing that will need to done again is the black tank rinse line.

txfnp12

There is really no difference either way. You should not be putting antifreeze into the tanks, as it is not needed.

Assuming you winterize first and then later dump the tanks, the only thing that will need to done again is the black tank rinse line.

That's what I figured but just wanted to make sure. Also, I have W/D hookups, but do not currently have them installed. Is there anything particular that I need to do to those lines?

Thanks,

Alana

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Also, I have W/D hookups, but do not currently have them installed. Is there anything particular that I need to do to those lines?

Thanks,

Alana

Alana, in our previous rig with no W/D in the place where one would be hooked up, we would attach a Washer line hose to the faucet, and have a 5 gallon bucket. Put the washer hose into the bucket, (be sure to keep ahold of it so the force of the liquid doesn't blast it out), and turn on the faucet until pink antifreeze is running into the bucket. Turn the faucet off, remove the hose and attach to the other faucet, repeat.

Just be sure to do the same thing again this spring to clear the lines with fresh water when you de-winterize. You don't want to leave antifreeze in those lines.

txfnp12

Alana, in our previous rig with no W/D in the place where one would be hooked up, we would attach a Washer line hose to the faucet, and have a 5 gallon bucket. Put the washer hose into the bucket, (be sure to keep ahold of it so the force of the liquid doesn't blast it out), and turn on the faucet until pink antifreeze is running into the bucket. Turn the faucet off, remove the hose and attach to the other faucet, repeat.

Just be sure to do the same thing again this spring to clear the lines with fresh water when you de-winterize. You don't want to leave antifreeze in those lines.

Awesome, thanks for your help!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Also, don't forget to run antifreeze through the outside shower faucet!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Alana, in our previous rig with no W/D in the place where one would be hooked up, we would attach a Washer line hose to the faucet, and have a 5 gallon bucket. .
When we had no washer I did that but instead of running the pink stuff into a bucket I ran it into the P-trap drain there. You will need to put anti-freeze into the P-trap.

Peace
Dave

NYSUPstater

I'm a bit of a overkill guy, so when we winterize, run anti-freeze thru everything, then add more down each drain anyways. Cheap insurance IMO. Never did a thing w/ old coach's sewer line flusher, but w/ new one, blew out w/ air. Like it was mentioned as well, w/ the W/D, attach hose to 1 side into bucket, run till pink. Repeat for other side. I didn't want the outside shower, but came w/ it, so had to do same thing w/ that as the W/D (except, just removed the shower hear and put hose in jug). Oh, flushed out water heater too w/ wand (I repeat that in spring). Think I used maybe 3 gallons of anti-freeze.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I used about 2 1/3 gallons of the pink stuff to do our 34-foot Prowler.

clark261

In order to prevent damage and accidents, be sure that all electric components are turned off. After that, drain every tank, including:

The fresh water tank
The black water tank
The galley
The gray tanks
The water heater tank

Before beginning to drain the water from the heater tank, be sure it is already chilly. The water heater tank is a little more difficult to empty, so we must use the channel locks to pry out the plastic plug before we can empty the tank. Use a socket wrench if the plug is an anode rod.

Last edited:

Daley07

Knowing how to winterize an RV without antifreeze will be very beneficial for you. First is draining the fresh water tank, you need to open up the petcock that is used for draining purposes. Drain both black and grey holding tanks and all faucets and toilets of water. you would need the two pieces of equipment: the air compressor and blowout plug for the water lines.

Last edited: