RV COAXIAL Wiring.

My 2013 RW305 has one coax jack marked Cable, and two marked Satellite. I’ve connected our new Wingard Pathway 2 dish to the two jacks as it can power two receivers. Can’t get them to work with my TV area jacks. I’m pretty sure there’s a splitter some place that may be completely unconnected. Where is the coaxial wiring on my RW?

danemayer

Hi Beemerchick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Here's a link to the folder with coax diagrams for various models. I don't see anything specific to a 2013 RW however.

One thing - it's always a good idea to connect the dish directly to the receiver to get everything working before you try out the RV's coax.

And if you're not the first owner of your 2013, there's always the possibility a prior owner could have changed things up.

might also mention that did wire the cables directly and they work fine. It will not work thru any of the jacks mentioned outside in the utilities box. Where is the coax wiring in our RWs?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
might also mention that did wire the cables directly and they work fine. It will not work thru any of the jacks mentioned outside in the utilities box. Where is the coax wiring in our RWs?
It may be possible to replace the built-in barrel connectors with higher rated barrels. The blue centered barrels tend to be rated for 3GHz. I replaced my barrel connectors with the higher rated connectors and send satellite signals through the RV wiring without much issue. I also added a diverter to separate the sat. signal for may sat receiver and still can add cable or an antenna to the cable input.

I had only one input on my RV and it serves both cable and satellite now.

danemayer

Where is the coax wiring in our RWs?

The coax probably drops down and goes through the underbelly, and then comes up into the entertainment center. Routing can vary quite a bit by floor plan. There could be barrel connectors joining coax sections in the underbelly.

A good starting point is replacement of the coax connectors at both ends. I think on 2013 builds, Heartland was still using very basic coax connectors crimped with an unknown tool. More recently, a higher quality of connector is in use.

Maretta

I have the following components - a 2017 Big Country using DISH with a Wally Receiver and a Winegard Pathway X2 antenna (the kind that automatically finds a signal). When hooked up through the RV's coax at the docking station we often lost the signal (signal code 11-12-11 saying there is something obstructing the signal) requiring us to unplug the receiver, wait, and then plug it back in. A visual check would not show any obstructions, and I also double checked that all connections were tight. This would happen 5-6 times a day. Called DISH who said it could be degraded/old coax or the RV's coax wiring system. Even though our coax was not kinked and only a couple of years old I bought new coax. I also opened a window and connected the antenna directly to the receiver, bypassing the RV's coax wiring. Problem solved. I thought the new coax had taken care of the problem so closed the window and reconnected the antenna to the RV's coax wiring. The problems reappeared (but not quite as often). I hate to have the window open all the time (even if it's only a crack and I put foam rubber in the opening and around the coax to reduce air flow and bug flow). Any ideas for a different solution? Is there a way to test the strength or integrity of the RV's coax wiring? Thanx in advance for all help!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I was in your shoes, and I have been, I would just run a new coax from the back of the coax connector in the UDC to your entertainent center where your Wally resides.
I had issues with my DTV on both Bighorns and wound up running new coax.
By using a newly installed coax you can be sure that there are no splitters in line as well as be confident that the F-connectors are installed correctly.
Oh, running new coax is not a difficult job even if you are just a little handy.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

Maretta

If I was in your shoes, and I have been, I would just run a new coax from the back of the coax connector in the UDC to your entertainent center where your Wally resides.
I had issues with my DTV on both Bighorns and wound up running new coax.
By using a newly installed coax you can be sure that there are no splitters in line as well as be confident that the F-connectors are installed correctly.
Oh, running new coax is not a difficult job even if you are just a little handy.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

Dave - Thanks for your advice. Am still testing out as many scenarios as I can, but may have to go your route. I am a little handy (not great, but can follow directions). Any diagrams or step-by-step instructions on how to run coax from the UDC to the entertainment center?

Maretta

RoadJunkie

Check each cable connection, this is what I found on two connections of the same cable run, center conductor shorted by shielding...

Attachments

• 427C9609-EA11-4E07-98FB-40CBFCBD75B6.jpeg
    427C9609-EA11-4E07-98FB-40CBFCBD75B6.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 57

mlpeloquin

You may also find loose connectors and a bad crimp. Also a center conductor that has been cut through, but still makes contact most of the time. Intermittent failures are the hardest to find. The coax in the fifth wheel are short enough runs that Direct TV works just fine even through two splitters into the bedroom Direct TV receiver. So you may have a bad intermittent splitter, coax connector, or cable. Splitters are cheep. https://www.amazon.com/SimplyASP-Tech-Two-Way-Splitter/dp/B01ATLCC96 Replace the splitters and get a 75 ohm coax load and a barrel connector to attach the load so you can check the DC resistance of the cable. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3680N...4&keywords=3+GHz+75+ohm+coax+barrel+connector With the load on it should measure close to 75 ohms steady at the other end with an ohm meter so long as there isn't a splitter in between. Check the cables and change the splitters. I had to for one connection and tighten up the coax connectors. Everything has been fine since.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check each cable connection, this is what I found on two connections of the same cable run, center conductor shorted by shielding...
Good point Len. I've found that same thing on a couple of trailers when helping diagnose issues others were having.
One was at the barrel connector going to a slide.

Peace
Dave