Creating Generator load in winter time

Jwill18

I want to run my generator once month as many have suggested to keep it running properly. I'd like to run under load for about 30 minutes. How do folks typically create a load in the winter time without running the A/C's?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Heat water in the microwave. Run a hot shower with the water heater on electric. Run the fireplace or a space heater.

Jwill18

Heat water in the microwave. Run a hot shower with the water heater on electric. Run the fireplace or a space heater.
I like the space heater and fireplace idea. I've already winterized the unit for the winter. It may be a good excuse to go sit in the camper and watch some football and pop some popcorn in the microwave!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
AC's won't put much of a load on in the winter unless you have heat pumps.

I have heat strips in my AC's (resistive elements) so they put on a good load for winter running.

I also have two electric heaters that will load up the genny pretty good as well.
I'll run it for about an hour every two months or so.
Before shutting down I turn everything off and let it run with no load for about 5 minutes.

szewczyk_john

I take my batteries out of the unit for winterization and store them in my garage on a tender. So I have to use jumpers to start my generator. I then use the space heater and microwave for load on the unit. It is also a good idea to use a treatment in the gas tank to be on the safe side.

PondSkum

I ran mine yesterday with the fireplace on heat, one a/c unit on "heat strip", and bedroom a/c on cool.. it was around 58* here in TX yesterday, so the heaters made it too hot, and the a/c alone didn't want to come on.. LOL