Brand new owner Oshkosh and have questions

RickL

I did my our PDI today and now have some questions. Please be gentle as I know I probably deserve to get my hair blown back as I should have addressed many of the questions I am asking PRIOR to signing on the dotted line. But in my humble defense I think I over researched to the point I was brain dead. So here goes -

1. What is included in the Yeti package? I know heated tank pads, but what else is there in the package. And with the Yeti package what temps does it protect the unit down to? The literature says extreme cold, but one persons extreme is way different from another.

2. If you don't have the Yeti package, what temp's (on the low end) would be safe to live in the unit. (Yes, the unit I purchased was advertised as "loaded" and I just way overlooked and failed to ask if the unit had the Yeti package. My bad!) We bought the unit to live full time in and are planning on staying in the Oklahoma area through the end of March 2018, where it can get down to the mid 20's on a regular basis at night. I am now very concerned if I made a huge screw up.

3. The 2018 pamphlet states the trailer has surge protection, I'm assuming I still need to install a system like progressive industries just to be safe?

4. Is the basement and control area heated without the having the Yeti package?

Any input would be a great help and potentially provide some peace of mind.

danemayer

Hi RickL,

Congratulations on the new Landmark 365 and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

No worries here about asking questions. We've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful people who are quick to lend a hand and share what they've learned.

The Yeti package includes holding tank heating pads, along with heat tape and insulation on the underbelly portion of the fresh water tank feed line to the water pump. In addition, there's foil insulation barrier in front and rear caps, and I believe also in the slide floors.

Independent of Yeti, there is a small duct (2") routed into the underbelly to push some hot air into that space to help protect the water lines and tanks.

Temps down to the mid-20s (F) is doable without the Yeti package, but some care needs to be taken. If temps get to the teens, you could have some freezing. The heat going into the underbelly requires the furnace to be set high enough that it comes on frequently. Even so, you may only get 10-15 degrees of uplift above ambient temps. So 12 degrees (F) ambient could be problematic for your kitchen water lines. Fortunately, Pex lines can freeze without damage to the tubing.

You will have to evacuate the refrigerator water feed line and shut off water to that line as portions are exposed to outside air on the bottom of the slide.

How low can you go breaks into 2 questions: 1) comfort inside and 2) keeping the water running. The comfort part is fairly easy because you can supplement with an electric fireplace and/or ceramic disc heaters. To keep the water running, I'd suggest you take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. In that folder, you'll also find a Landmark 365 User Guide that may answer other questions that arise.

If you do have the Yeti package and use some of the tips in the Water Systems Winter Usage Guide, you can stay in your RV in sub-zero temps. Our 2011 Landmark pre-dates the Yeti package but we have tank heating pads and have added heat tape to the water lines along with other improvements. We've been comfortable down to -30 (F).

On surge protection, the combination transfer switch/surge protector does provide several important functions, but you may still benefit from an Electrical Management System (EMS) like the Progressive units - either inline or portable.

RickL

Hi RickL,

Congratulations on the new Landmark 365 and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

No worries here about asking questions. We've got a great bunch of friendly and helpful people who are quick to lend a hand and share what they've learned.

The Yeti package includes holding tank heating pads, along with heat tape and insulation on the underbelly portion of the fresh water tank feed line to the water pump. In addition, there's foil insulation barrier in front and rear caps, and I believe also in the slide floors.

Independent of Yeti, there is a small duct (2") routed into the underbelly to push some hot air into that space to help protect the water lines and tanks.

Temps down to the mid-20s (F) is doable without the Yeti package, but some care needs to be taken. If temps get to the teens, you could have some freezing. The heat going into the underbelly requires the furnace to be set high enough that it comes on frequently. Even so, you may only get 10-15 degrees of uplift above ambient temps. So 12 degrees (F) ambient could be problematic for your kitchen water lines. Fortunately, Pex lines can freeze without damage to the tubing.

You will have to evacuate the refrigerator water feed line and shut off water to that line as portions are exposed to outside air on the bottom of the slide.

How low can you go breaks into 2 questions: 1) comfort inside and 2) keeping the water running. The comfort part is fairly easy because you can supplement with an electric fireplace and/or ceramic disc heaters. To keep the water running, I'd suggest you take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide. In that folder, you'll also find a Landmark 365 User Guide that may answer other questions that arise.

If you do have the Yeti package and use some of the tips in the Water Systems Winter Usage Guide, you can stay in your RV in sub-zero temps. Our 2011 Landmark pre-dates the Yeti package but we have tank heating pads and have added heat tape to the water lines along with other improvements. We've been comfortable down to -30 (F).

On surge protection, the combination transfer switch/surge protector does provide several important functions, but you may still benefit from an Electrical Management System (EMS) like the Progressive units - either inline or portable.

Thank you Dan I appreciate the quick response. I did go and read the Water Systems article which helped quite a bit to get me think what I am going to need to do. However when it come to adding an EMS to the trailer (which I thought and planned on doing) would I need to bypass the surge protector installed from the factory. Just me questioning having two protection systems in line. Unless I am way off base I thought I had read that the Progressive EMS handle surge protection along with wiring issues at the pedestal?

danemayer

Thank you Dan I appreciate the quick response. I did go and read the Water Systems article which helped quite a bit to get me think what I am going to need to do. However when it come to adding an EMS to the trailer (which I thought and planned on doing) would I need to bypass the surge protector installed from the factory. Just me questioning having two protection systems in line. Unless I am way off base I thought I had read that the Progressive EMS handle surge protection along with wiring issues at the pedestal?

I don't know that there's any way to bypass the built-in function. You can read about the combination unit here. While protecting against surges, open neutral, and reverse polarity, there's no mention of over voltage (other than surges) or under voltage conditions. Under voltage is one of the very common problems in many RV parks.

I'm not aware of any problem with having an additional EMS device before or after the combination unit, but neither have we heard much from people who might have added one to their LM 365.

One other thing to consider is that Heartland changes component suppliers and models without notice. So while they provide built-in protection, it might not be the one I've pointed you to. And capabilities beyond basic surge protection could vary from year to year.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I added a hard wired Progressive EMS after the factory Surge Protector/Transfer Switch 3 years ago and it works great, no problems.

ksucats

Congratulations on the new coach. Know you will enjoy it.

We use a portable 'surge guard' 50 amp device on the pedestal and have had no problems. Even use the same one when we run our Honda 7000 generator. Extra insurance against all types of potential problems, at least in my mind.

Cholo

Congratulations and welcome!

My Newport has the Yeti Package and it has 2 switches on the panel wall marked "Yeti package".
20171214_183709.jpg

Look at yours and see if you have them.
I also had the dealer install the Progressive Industries hard wired unit in mine so now I'm double protected. I would recommend at least the plug in type.

davebennington

Rick,

In addition to everything else that the others have said I would suggest purchasing a CheapHeat system. If you are in a campground and already paying for the electric, why run the propane furnace? We have it installed on our unit and it keeps the coach toasty warm in some very cold temps.

dave