2015 Big Country - bad shocks?

Hi all -
I searched and didn't see current info, although it sounds like they aren't needed for many people.

Our 2015 Big Country 3450TS has, at least according to the brochure, the E-Z flex suspension from Dexter.
The trailer has less than 1500 miles total and has been in storage for the past 2 years. We took it in to the dealer for a general check before going out next month and they're saying the bushings are bad on the shocks and they need to be replaced. $250 labor + parts quote.

Question is, do I need these? Many posts seem to say no, but I didn't see anything specific the E-Z Flex we have.

Thanks for your advice!
Jon

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, are they replacing the bushings or the shocks too?

The bushings cost about $2 each!

Does your rig have Level-Up? It can be done yourself if you're handy.

I don't know if this is even necessary, most folks say the shocks are cheap and not angled properly for them to work well, anyway.

Wait to hear more opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. They didn't say, just quoted the labor charge. I do have Level Up installed and could probably do the work myself if it's really needed. Personally, I think they're trying to make some extra here. They also said the roof needed to be re-sealed around the vents and at the front and back ends, and quoted $1800. for this. I'll do my own if it looks like it needs it after I get the trailer back

Jon

danemayer

Thanks. They didn't say, just quoted the labor charge. I do have Level Up installed and could probably do the work myself if it's really needed. Personally, I think they're trying to make some extra here. They also said the roof needed to be re-sealed around the vents and at the front and back ends, and quoted $1800. for this. I'll do my own if it looks like it needs it after I get the trailer back

Jon
"Resealing" also known as re-caulking the roof around vents, etc. will take 1 or 2 tubes of Dicor sealant and less than an hour of your time. If they're asking $1800, that should give you a yardstick to understand the quote for the shocks.

"Resealing" also known as re-caulking the roof around vents, etc. will take 1 or 2 tubes of Dicor sealant and less than an hour of your time. If they're asking $1800, that should give you a yardstick to understand the quote for the shocks.

Thanks for the info Dan!

mlpeloquin

Don't know who your dealer is, but they cannot be serious can they? $1800.00 for calking! Get you fifth wheel back and inspect it your self. Dicor is cheep. I bet if you get on your hands and knees and prod on the calking around the vents and end seals with your fingers, you will find that the original calking is sealed and nothing needs to be done. After four years mine is fine. Now the calking around the vertical trim edges, front, sides, and back may need touching up. Look at where vertical edges meet carefully. Push on the flat fiberglass near the edges to make sure the calking is bonded to the fiberglass and trim. When mine need touching up, I will use blue painters tape to keep the calking neat. You need to find yourself a good independent RV repair shop and stay away form the dealers for repair. Also look up at the rain gutter underneath where the roof goes behind it. I had to touch that up this year. About three feet had a very thin layer that hardened and cracked. I cleaned it up and filled it in. Only six inches on the other side needed attention.

By the way get Polyurethane bushing for your shocks. It is a far better material that the OEM. I replaced my shocks with the Joy Ryder shock system. They really work like shocks should.

Don't know who your dealer is, but they cannot be serious can they? $1800.00 for calking! Get you fifth wheel back and inspect it your self. Dicor is cheep. I bet if you get on your hands and knees and prod on the calking around the vents and end seals with your fingers, you will find that the original calking is sealed and nothing needs to be done. After four years mine is fine. Now the calking around the vertical trim edges, front, sides, and back may need touching up. Look at where vertical edges meet carefully. Push on the flat fiberglass near the edges to make sure the calking is bonded to the fiberglass and trim. When mine need touching up, I will use blue painters tape to keep the calking neat. You need to find yourself a good independent RV repair shop and stay away form the dealers for repair. Also look up at the rain gutter underneath where the roof goes behind it. I had to touch that up this year. About three feet had a very thin layer that hardened and cracked. I cleaned it up and filled it in. Only six inches on the other side needed attention.

By the way get Polyurethane bushing for your shocks. It is a far better material that the OEM. I replaced my shocks with the Joy Ryder shock system. They really work like shocks should.
Thanks for the info Marc, I really appreciate it. The dealer is Seegrins in Gilroy, CA. I’ll update when I get the trailer back to let people know what I find.
Still interested in people’s opinions on whether the shocks are needed with the E-Z Flex

jon

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you needed to replace shocks, here's an inexpensive choice that looks identical to the original:

AP Products 14122108 Shock Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HRHEFI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

We tried using Bilstein trailer shocks but they failed. We went back with these. Had to replace them ourselves. They are adjustable in length by rotating the thicker end. Very easy to install.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I replaced the shocks on our 2015 BC 3150RL with the Joy Riders. Oh what a difference. We no longer need to wear hardhats when we open the cabinets and refrigerator! I believe they were about $450. If you decide to do this, follow the installation instructions to the letter.

Oldelevatorman

I had trouble with one of the shocks on my Landmark. The mounts didn't line up at all. I'd replaced the original shock when I noticed it had come loose from the frame and had bent the stud. I replaced it with a brand shiny new Monroe in Williamsburg, VA. A few weeks later in Billings I noticed both ends of that new shock were twisted and bent beyond belief. Luckily there was a repair shop near the KOA we were staying at and they cut off the old mount, made a new one, welded it on and installed the new shock. All for $200! I had a check from Heartland when we got home!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Still interested in people’s opinions on whether the shocks are needed with the E-Z Flex

jon
Here is my take (opinion).
RV manufacturers are always looking for places to save a dime.
If their engineers thought that the shocks were not doing what they were designed for they certainly would not spend the extra $20 to put them on our RVs.
Again, only my opinion.

Peace
Dave

Here is my take (opinion).
RV manufacturers are always looking for places to save a dime.
If their engineers thought that the shocks were not doing what they were designed for they certainly would not spend the extra $20 to put them on our RVs.
Again, only my opinion.

Peace
Dave
I appreciate everyone's input. When we get the trailer back, I'll take a look at the shocks and either pull them or replace them. If the mounting looks incorrect, I'll like just pull them as I don't have the skill to fix something like this.

Thanks,
Jon

mlpeloquin

Thanks for the info Marc, I really appreciate it. The dealer is Seegrins in Gilroy, CA. I’ll update when I get the trailer back to let people know what I find.

jon

I know them well. Do not have them service your rig! Call RV Restore and Repair or Almaden RV Service and Repair for all your needs. I know that both do warranty work approved by Heartland. I use RV Restore and Repair and a friend with his Big Country uses Almaden RV Service and Repair. Leale's RV and Truck Center has a great reputation as well, but bring your fat wallet!

I know them well. Do not have them service your rig! Call RV Restore and Repair or Almaden RV Service and Repair for all your needs. I know that both do warranty work approved by Heartland. I use RV Restore and Repair and a friend with his Big Country uses Almaden RV Service and Repair. Leale's RV and Truck Center has a great reputation as well, but bring your fat wallet!

Thank you! They were great with the purchase, but this is the first time we've taken it in for service beyond the 30 day follow-up for warranty items. I'll definitely check into these other options.

Jon