Heated Fresh Water Hose . . .

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I will soon be in need of a heated water hose and have been checking them out at Camping World online . . .

I've ruled out the 12-footer as I don't think it would long enough in many campsites, the 50-footer would be way too long in almost all sites, and the 25-footer would most likely be the right choice.

The price is only about $25 difference between the two longer ones.

Just wondering what you all have found to be the best length to get :confused:

JohnD

Two 25-footers would be over $100 more than just buying the 50-footer, but I'm wondering if having that thing coiled up most of the time would just be overkill.

danemayer

John,

A 25' hose will probably work most of the time. When it doesn't, if you're carrying a 15' unheated hose, you can use it as an extension to the heated hose to fill your fresh tank. After the tank is full, drain the hoses.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've never needed more than 25'. Our experience, most of the time if you're "just visiting," parks won't let you be hooked up all the time anyway if it's below freezing. They want you disconnected and running off your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We've never needed more than 25'. Our experience, most of the time if you're "just visiting," parks won't let you be hooked up all the time anyway if it's below freezing. They want you disconnected and running off your tank.

I’d agree. Just last month, our last stop in route home, the park manager said on check in “We lock the hydrants at 8 pm until 8 am. Make sure you have water in your tank”, and they did...chain and padlock.
They do this because unless your “living” there and have taken the appropriate steps, the hydrant itself isn’t protected.
You didn’t explain why you think you need a heated hose...

JohnD

These are the kind of answers I was looking for . . .

John,

A 25' hose will probably work most of the time. When it doesn't, if you're carrying a 15' unheated hose, you can use it as an extension to the heated hose to fill your fresh tank. After the tank is full, drain the hoses.

That is what I was thinking about the 25-footer . . .

I have 10, 25 and 50-footer regular fresh water hoses in the trailer now and I find that the 25-footer is the one I use most, and have only needed the 50-footer once (although I've used it several times just because I have it).

I’d agree. Just last month, our last stop in route home, the park manager said on check in “We lock the hydrants at 8 pm until 8 am. Make sure you have water in your tank”, and they did...chain and padlock.
They do this because unless your “living” there and have taken the appropriate steps, the hydrant itself isn’t protected.
You didn’t explain why you think you need a heated hose...

Starting in January I will be using the Prowler quite extensively . . . more on that coming soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Another question . . .

Are the Camco brand heater hoses good?

Or is there another brand I should consider . . . :confused:

TravelTiger

We had a Pirit that lasted about 4 years vacation use, but only one season fulltime. We have a Camco now, this is our third season using it.

travelin2

We’re heading out too in January but to warmer climes!
Unless the park has heated water hydrants or even if they do, just fill your FW tank, drain your hose, store it, save some $$$!

Az_Ernie

These are the kind of answers I was looking for . . .

That is what I was thinking about the 25-footer . . .

I have 10, 25 and 50-footer regular fresh water hoses in the trailer now and I find that the 25-footer is the one I use most, and have only needed the 50-footer once (although I've used it several times just because I have it).

Starting in January I will be using the Prowler quite extensively . . . more on that coming soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Another question . . .

Are the Camco brand heater hoses good?

Or is there another brand I should consider . . . :confused:
John,

The Camco 50 footer online at Camping World has some pretty dismal reviews.. just say'n.

travelin2

I’d make my own...at Lowes or other retailers get a 25’ heat tape secure it to your existing water hose with electrical tape, wrap that with sections of foam water pipe insulation, close to what you’re going to buy anyway
Just saying

jerryjay11

Was looking at these myself. My theory has always been "the bigger-the better" except when it comes to fighting Mother Nature. The longer hose (thus electric wiring) will tend not to be as effective as it would in a shorter length. It I were to do this I would stay with a 25' hose as I haven't come across where I needed more than that. I have been using an 25' unheated hose for several years, even crossed country and found it was plenty long enough. Now depending where and what time of Winter you are staying when the temperature suddenly drops even a heated hose can freeze. Can't count the times in Rhode Island I had to thaw frozen hot water pipes on a customer's heating system. Not to mention when a homeowner thinks leaving the faucet running will prevent the lines from freezing. All it does is make an oversize icicle in the sink. I even came across a 6" main in a building that had frozen so the steam boiler couldn't fill.

danemayer

Now depending where and what time of Winter you are staying when the temperature suddenly drops even a heated hose can freeze.

I can't speak to residential hot water lines, but heated RV hoses, like PIRIT, and those you make yourself with heat tape and insulation, work just fine. Our experience is over 6 winters in the Colorado mountains down to -30 (F). When we had hoses freeze, it was because of a complete failure, not a temperature drop.

Yes, if you make a mistake on the hookup, or put the thermostat inside, etc., you'll find out as temps drop. But if set up correctly, they work just fine.

ORV1980

Sherman
I can't speak to residential hot water lines, but heated RV hoses, like PIRIT, and those you make yourself with heat tape and insulation, work just fine. Our experience is over 6 winters in the Colorado mountains down to -30 (F). When we had hoses freeze, it was because of a complete failure, not a temperature drop.

Yes, if you make a mistake on the hookup, or put the thermostat inside, etc., you'll find out as temps drop. But if set up correctly, they work just fine.

We started with a 25' hose, then we moved to a site that we needed 30'. There was no way I could situate the trailer to get within 25'. So back to C.W. to get a 50 footer.
We have been down in the teens and the 50' hose has served us well. The park we are in has heated water faucets in most of the park. Some people do not even use a heated hose, but I would not trust the hose to not freeze when the temps drop so low.

As Dan said, following the directions for installation is important. There is a thermostat on the end. If you have that under cover it could keep the hose heater from coming on when it should.

rxbristol

I made my own this year using heat tape and insulation (insulation, vapor barrier, and an outer wrap). It wasn't too long into the job that I wished I had bought one instead. It took me four hours to do a 25 foot hose, but it works.

TravelTiger

We started with a 25' hose, then we moved to a site that we needed 30'. There was no way I could situate the trailer to get within 25'. So back to C.W. to get a 50 footer.
We have been down in the teens and the 50' hose has served us well. The park we are in has heated water faucets in most of the park. Some people do not even use a heated hose, but I would not trust the hose to not freeze when the temps drop so low.

As Dan said, following the directions for installation is important. There is a thermostat on the end. If you have that under cover it could keep the hose heater from coming on when it should.

We used fittings to swap the male/female ends, so the thermostat is now by the faucet (with a male end), and the plug plugs into the UDC where the hose connects (now a female end.)

jerryjay11

You may have just convinced me on purchasing a heated hose. I'll probably stick to a 25' hose and if I ever come to a campsite where I need longer I'll just use the onboard tank.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

We just purchased this one but have yet to use it. Do not know about reliability, I will find out next year in January.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABONB0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Yes that is the one we have, but it looks like they've improved it and added a little foam insulation around the ends, a lighted plug so you know it's working, and it has two female ends and an adapter so you decide which end works best for you to have the themostat outside and plugged in. NICE!