Wasted space.

Flooringit

As I struggle with room for my belongings as I am gonna be living full time in my
2014 4000 I cant understand why there’s some wasted space.
In my kitchen there’s a L shape counter and next to the stove is a big cabinet with no access and not being used. It’s a big space. I see it’s hard to get a door from inside but man it would’ve been so easy to add one from outside to make more storage out there. I am now trying to figure out a way to utilize the space. Has anyone came up with away to use it? How hard to cut into the side and add a door? Im trying to figure out a way to access it from inside making a lazy Susan be the easier way but a lot of modification.
Also as I have 2 steps wonder why they didn’t make one for storage. The bottom step has a vacuum port in it. Seem like they could’ve put a heat vent next to it and ran a separate Ben to the other end of the main space. The 2 registers in the same box Ben doesn’t work. It barely blows out them. I modified the first one blows out good but nothing now comes out the far end one. I think I may do what I suggested. Anyone done that?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
If you are not handy I wold recommend that you find a finish carpenter or a cabinet builder in your area and see what they can do. Otherwise, and not knowing what the space looks like, I think you could find another door in your rig that would fit the space, cut the opening, frame the opening, and add a door.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
How sure are you that there isn’t something in the space, like a stack vent pipe or some other object?

If you have a vacuum port on the lower step riser, the vacuum is probably under the steps, as well. With only two steps, it’s probably too tight for a standard storage box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flooringit

05C77FEF-2DB2-4323-A8DC-080F60473448.jpgPositive nothing there. I’m trying to post pics. Phone don’t work so well here. I get the step may not have a standard size box. It’s prolly to much hassle for a small spot for them but for me I’ll get it done

- - - Updated - - -

In previous pic it’s the space under the toaster. Here’s a pic ofInside

Attachments

• 24F43800-E801-4F06-A213-59FE6461622F.jpg
    24F43800-E801-4F06-A213-59FE6461622F.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 260

MTPockets

Another thought; there are ways the builder could provide more storage space, however, more storage means more weight and most of these rigs can get maxed out pretty fast, especially if full time like we were. Go ahead and get creative, no problem with that, but be mindful of your total GVWR.

JohnDar

I’ve replaced four of the five outside cargo doors on our rig. All of them are attached to aluminum framing behind the skin that surrounds the opening. To do what you mentioned would require installing a similar support structure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

View attachment 55853Positive nothing there. I’m trying to post pics. Phone don’t work so well here. I get the step may not have a standard size box. It’s prolly to much hassle for a small spot for them but for me I’ll get it done

- - - Updated - - -

In previous pic it’s the space under the toaster. Here’s a pic ofInside

I'm not exactly sure here but your wasted space your talking about appears to be the space needed for your slide to come in and is not intended to have anything in it. If you put something in the cabinet to the right of your stove your slide may not close.

Flooringit

I'm not exactly sure here but your wasted space your talking about appears to be the space needed for your slide to come in and is not intended to have anything in it. If you put something in the cabinet to the right of your stove your slide may not close.
No the whole cabinet moves with the slide. What Evers in there would move with it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You might give HL service a call, have your VIN# handy and ask them what might be hidden in that space before you start making holes in the side.

JohnDar

I am in Bella Vista. I am sure I can do it myself. I just need the frame and the header they use or backing bracket.

Doors come with the outer frame/flange attached to the hinge. You want to cut the hole in the wall accordingly. Framing behind the wall may be tricky depending on how large the rough opening is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forget who posted these modifications, but we decided to do the same. These are her pictures. We ordered a shelf (same part number for the shelf in the pantry, cut in half) and one stick of trim and one 4x8 wall board from Heartland. Hubby cut out the hole and built in 2 shelves. Kitchen Mod2.jpg I can't find our pics but it came out the same. I think you can order a door also, but we did not.

jeffdee

In my 3110 there are three sliding drawers in that space. There is a open clearance under the drawers allowing the slide’s floor to come in under the drawers. Believe me, when the kitchen slide comes in there is no empty space to be found!