So far our experience has been a nightmare

cdnrver

A couple years ago we stopped fulltiming and traded our Jayco Designer Legacy in for a Park Model for our RV site in BC. I decided on the 2009 Sundance 2900MK because of the turning radius feature (downsized to a 3/4 ton GMC short box). Due to unforseen reasons we're unable to head south this winter so we decided to do a trial run before the warranty expires. We're lucky we did.

Here is a copy of the warranty issues that I emailed to the dealer. We are waiting to schedule a service date.

A) Issues that we noticed after delivery:

1) Hydro Cap – plastic locking catch is broken on 1 side (inside of cap)

2) Kitchen Countertop – noticed scratch marks on solid surface countertop – appears to have been caused when sliding the wall cabinet (cabinet between base and upper cabinet near exit door) into place during factory build - upon closer inspection during our first trip, we noticed that there are numerous scratches over the entire surface, including scratches similar to those made with an orbital sander – and a very small chip in one area.

B) Issues that we noticed prior to leaving for our first trip (5 days) with our unit:

3) Rear Wall Panel – rear wall panel is in 2 sections with the joint between the sections located just below the middle of the rear window – covered with a vinyl tape to hide the joint (poor design) - when I opened the slides to prepare the unit for travel, I noticed that the left panel was buckled and separated away from the wall.

4) Kitchen Faucet – leaks – prior to leaving for our trip I replaced the anode in the hot water tank and hooked up the city water line in order to fill the tank and to de-winterize and sanitize the water lines – after turning on the water I heard my wife who was inside the unit yelling out to turn the water off – when I went inside, there was water everywhere – the 4 paper towel rolls on the top shelf inside of the base cabinet were soaked and it took 6 bath towels to mop up the water from inside the cabinet and on the kitchen floor.

During my pre-delivery inspection (about 2 hours) I had noticed several minor deficiencies – noisy ceiling fan, poorly installed trim, broken cabinet door knob, etc – when I asked about a water test, the dealer informed me that they did a water test and there was a drip issue with the wand part of the kitchen faucet but that everything else was okay – they informed me that they would order a replacement faucet – when I took delivery of the unit the dealer informed me that the issue was correctedwith the amount of water all over the place when I turned the water on it’s obvious that a water test and/or repair was never done – I had to remove both water lines from the faucet and cap them off in order to use our unit during our vacation – my wife had to do her dishes in a plastic tub outside – I also noticed that 1 of the copper lines on the faucet itself was bent – large tightening nut on faucet also missing – faucet appears to have been attached to countertop with glue or silicone.

5) Kitchen Island Cabinet – need to inspect for possible water damage

C) Issues that we noticed during our trip:

6) Kitchen Drawers – when we arrived at our destination and opened up our unit, the 2 top kitchen drawers extended all the way out, the 3rd drawer was half way out, and the bottom one was out slightly – drawers do not remain closed during travel.

7) Bedroom Drawers – seeing that the kitchen drawers were faulty, I opened the bedroom slide to inspect the bedroom drawers – the bottom 3 were fully extended and the top 3 only slightly due to the fact that they were prevented from sliding out fully because they were held back by the mattress when the slide is in the closed position.

8) Hot Water Tank – electrical element may be faulty or does not work at all – before setting up our unit (opening the slides, attaching sewer hose etc) I turned the gas switch on to heat up the water faster so that I could take a shower after setting up – the water was hot for my shower – later in the day I removed the pin from the electrical switch outside, turned the switch on, turned the electrical switch inside the unit on, and the following morning the water was cold.

9) Shower – leaks – after taking a shower I noticed a lot of water on the floor – I asked my wife to go into the shower next so that I could see where the water was coming from – it looks like the glass enclosure has silicone on the inside along the walls and bottom base – in my opinion the silicone should be on the outside to allow water that gets into the track to drip back inside – during a shower the water drips down the door into the bottom track and seeps out under the track down the outside of the base – upon closer inspection I also noticed that water was seeping out quite a bit from under the bottom of the base itself which would suggests a faulty drain connection or crack in the base unit (as if we did not have enough water problems already)

10) Microwave – appears to overheat – the next day of our trip my wife prepared to wash some dishes from dinner the previous evening and breakfast that morning (we were too tired from traveling and setup to do them the night before) – because the kitchen faucet was unusable and the hot water in the water tank had grown cold (due to the faulty electrical element) she decided to heat some water in a bowl in the microwave – while warming up the third bowl of water the microwave shut down – I checked the microwave (pushed some bottoms – clock was out) and nothing happened – I then checked the breaker and nothing happened – about 10 minutes later we heard a beep and saw the clock flashing to be reset – this suggests that the microwave overheated and then turned back on as it cooled off.

11) Propane Tank (right side) – may be leaking – prior to leaving for our trip and after the kitchen water ordeal I turned the propane valves open in order to chill the refrigerator the night before we left for our vacation – early the next morning when I checked it I found that it wasn’t that cold – I checked the propane tanks and saw that the indicator was red so I switch the lever to the left tank and the refrigerator was working okay – while on our trip I decided to remove both tanks and found that the left one was full and the right one empty – while tying down the right tank in my truck box so that I could go get it filled I noticed a propane smell even though the valve was tightly closed – I decided not to go and fill the tank – either one tank was filled and the other was not at delivery or they were both filled and the right tank has a leak.

12) Radio Speakers – not wired correctly – when we finally had a chance to relax we turned on the radio – when I went outside I noticed music coming from the outside speakers – I went into the bedroom area to turn the outside speaker switches off but nothing happened – on the radio itself the A switch operates the living room speakers – the B switch (which is supposed to operate the bedroom speakers) is attached to the outside speakers – the bedroom speaker have no sound coming from them at all.

13) Bedroom Window (left side of bed) – does not open properly – when I went to open the window I noticed that a screw on the right side of the window frame was loose and fell out when I touched it – it looks like there is also a couple screws on the inside to the window track (right side middle) that prevents the window from sliding upwards to locking position – also the screen does not fit properly (bottom left corner) – opening would allow insects to enter – inside retention clip for screen also falls out when removing.

14) Furnace Floor Vents – air flow issue – when operating the furnace the floor vent closest to the rear window area blows a lot of hot air – all other floor vents (including bedroom area) only radiate warmth (very little air flow) – is this a design issue or blocked ductwork?

15) Living Room Rocker Chair – bad base – prior to leaving for home my wife decided to vacuum the carpets – when we moved the chair we noticed 2 screws on the floor – turning the chair over I noticed that one of the base legs had only 1 screw in it – the other 2 fell out because the wood has a huge rot area that prevents the screws from being replaced.

16) Tank Gauges – may not be registering – after 5 days of use ( although limited due to the kitchen and shower issues) when I tested the gauge prior to packing up nothing changed on the level indicators for all 3 tanks.

17) Sewer Valves – poor water flow – when I used to dump my Jayco tanks the waste water would flow out hard filling the entire sewer pipe as it emptied – all tanks emptied really quick – when I emptied these tanks, waste from all 3 tanks came out real slow (appears to be about 1/3 of normal flow) – because the grey tanks had low flow as well suggests that the levers may not be adjusted properly to open the tank valves entirely - it seemed like it took forever to empty the tanks.

18) Caulking Under Nose Near Pin – when hooking up I noticed that the caulking is coming off underneath the front nose behind the king pin near the vinyl track that runs from one side of the unit to the other.

19) Lug Nut Cap – cracked – one plastic lug nut cover cap is cracked and needs to be replaced – there may be others.

D) Issues that we fixed ourselves:

20) Tire Valve Stem Caps – frozen – because of all the talk regarding “China Bombs" I took our unit out of storage and into town to check the air levels in the tires – when the tire dealer tried to put air into the tires 2 valve caps were welded to the valve stems (metal caps – bad choice) – the dealer managed to get one cap off with pliers but had to replace the valve stem on the other tire because the cap could not be removed – they replaced the caps with plastic ones to prevent future problems.

21) Cabinet Door Knob Screws – too short – during delivery the dealer noticed that a door knob was broken – was probably over tightened and the screw broke when trying to open the door above TV area – rather than order 1 knob the dealer decided to replace all of them with ones purchased locally – upon inspection (after a knob came off) I noticed that the shanks of the new knobs were deeper but the dealer used the old screws to attach them (they were only holding on by a couple threads) – after the 4th knob came off when trying to open cabinet doors during our vacation, I went to the local hardware store and purchased longer screws and repaired all 27 knobs.

We are not happy campers

Uncle Rog

Wow.........sounds like you need to talk to the factory directly, I am sure Jim will pick up on this and get you to the right person.

Duramax1

I am sorry for you.

I do not want to make you feel any worse, but we could not be happier with ours.

Sundance_kid

Nothing is perfect, but this is pathethic.....sounds like the factory needs to be involved in taking care of this mess. Good luck.

fishn2dmax

CdnRver,

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I too own a 2900 MK and yes I have had a series of issues. I've owned many other RV's previous and all of them had issues at one time or another. That said, the newer RV's ( just like cars) have more features and options than older models; with more stuff, comes more potential problems.

While I have and continue to have issues ( constant discoveries) with my unit, I have decided to work through them. No I'm not as happy as I once was with my Sundance, but when I compare my issues with others that I know who purchased some other brands, my issues ( and yours) are relatively minor in comparison. It appears Quality and RV's don't go together. It simply amazes me that the RV industry has not figured out or learned from the auto industry. The reason Toyota and Honda surpassed North American made autos is quality. The RV industry claims it would be cost prohibitive to implement TPS or other quality systems into their industry when quite the opposite is true. Until a few RV companies figure out the true cost of quality, we as RV consumers will continue to be plagued with constant "discoveries" that we'll constantly have to deal with.

Heartland is far from perfect and has significant room for quality improvement; however, when compared to others in the same class and price category, Heartland is remains as one of the best in terms of relative quality and value. This is no way justifies the poor quality issues you have experienced, but your odds of having major issues with most of the other makes on the market are just as great if not greater. Based on what you described, only one of the issues I would consider a major, all the others are minor annoyances that a good dealer should be able to easily address. The rear wall panel flex would be most concerning to me.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Last edited:

Edd and Janet

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. I guess there is such a thing as a "lemon" even in the camper arena. Fortunately, we've had no problems to speak of.

cdnrver

Thanks for the input everyone.

What worries me the most is we only had a chance to use our unit for 5 frustrating days. Unfortunately, because we took delivery of our unit in February, most of the warranty will expire before we have another opportunity to use our unit. Then we will be stuck will the costs involved.

And, because we will not have a chance to use our unit again until after the warranty period, we can only hope that the issues that I listed above are repaired correctly and to our satisfaction. Given the fact that the dealer personnel lied to us about the water test and kitchen faucet issue, and given the fact that the microwave venting, leaky showers, poor tires, etc., etc., continue to be common issues in the forum, quite frankly I'm rather worried about the end results.

Larry Y

So sorry to hear of your troubles. We too have a 2900 MK. We live in Newfoundland, Canada and we took a chance and purchased our unit from a dealer in the States. Our nearest dealer is in Nova Scotia. We had a few minor problems : Fridge would not work on electricity ( unit was not plugged into the electrical outlet in the back of the fridge), moulding bowed out from the wall ( put in extra brads ) and the side of the boot broke away from the seat ( I reattached with longer screws and glued ). After reading this thread I checked the tire valve caps and found on really hard to get off because of corrision. Replaced all with plastic caps. I do have to say we really enjoy our Sundance, it has everything we want in a trailer.

Larry Y

I meant to mention that we also had problems with the drawers coming out while travelling. What I did was install magnetic door catches on the drawers and it seemed to take care of the problem.

charliehorse

for whatta its worth - took delivery of our 29RK - had an excellent pre-delivery at dealers service center - 5 days later left on a 3800 mile and 17 day trip with absolutley no build or operational issues ! whatta RV !

Rmcgrath53

problems

I purchased the 2997rbs and just noticed below the window in the rear the fiberglass panel is seperating at the joint. I contacted the factory and they said to take to dealer and have repaired. Dont know what causes that , hopefully they will put a new panel on with some better adhesive.
All my other issues have ben resolved.The big one that is upsetting was one I fixed myself. The water tank fitting wasnt tightened at the factory.I discovered it one day going to the campground to find water everywhere.After tearing the cabinet below the tv apart I found the loose fitting and tightened it with no more problem there. The other was a outside shower that broke at the wand and had 2 floods from that.I like the unit but these issues kinda take your enjoyement out of the buying process. WE just hope that we get everything resolved before the warranty is over. I told my wife maybe we should have bought a 1 or 2 year unit, with all the issues resolved already.