Exterior Protection System Yes or No

BillR48

We just ordered a new 2018 365 Newport and have a question. I know the Newport has full body paint and the dealer is suggesting we purchase a Platinum Protection Package for the outside of the unit. The package consists of a Teflon base polymer added to outside of unit to protect the exterior against fading, oxidation, yellowing and or chalking. I currently have a unit with gel coating and have to wash then remove the oxidation and chalking then wax the unit at least once a year. I thought by getting a unit having full body paint there would be no oxidation, chalking etc. I’m thinking this is just a dealer trying to make some extra money. Would a Teflon Coating really be necessary on a unit with full body paint?

danemayer

Hi BillR48,

It's "ADP", which stands for Additional Dealer Profit. Your full body paint should look great for many years.

MP_CS

Our dealer tried to sell us on one of those coatings also. If I’m remembering right it was a grand or more. We opted to not have it applied. Friends bought a TT around a year later and purchased the coating package. I’ve always questioned if they ever applied it, we’ve been camping next to them probably a dozen times since and i see absolutely no difference in finish and he still gets streaking and has to wash and wax his just like i do. I asked him if he would buy again, NO couldn’t come out of his mouth fast enough, haha.

kowAlski631

Sounds like what auto dealers call "rust and dust". Add ons which cost pennies to the dealers but yield lots of $$ in return. We'd pass on it.

bwdt

If I had purchased a coating and I still needed to wax and clean it for streaks etc. I'd be taking it back to the dealer every chance I had and make them clean and wax it for as long as it was supposed to be protected. It would probably get to the point that they would be paying me more money than they charged me to not bring it back....;)

On a side note. The unit I just ordered they are not doing what there advertising claims and trying to charge me big bucks for the extended warranty and win I said no because I knew their actual cost they offered me some other plan that was totally worthless......It really is despicable what some dealers will try to do to make an extra buck.

Oregon_Camper

W................ I’m thinking this is just a dealer trying to make some extra money. Would a Teflon Coating really be necessary on a unit with full body paint?

We told the dealer no as well. We had our 2015 Bighorn washed/wax by a professional crew this summer, and it looked as good as the day we picked it up. Heartland does a good job with the FBP....I feel there is no need to add anything from dealer to "protect" it.

BillR48

Thanks everyone for your input. I was not planning to order the extra Teflon coating but needed to find out what others thought. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Bill

kb9jxc

I do believe that camping world paint and fabric protection is a money maker. I asked the salesperson “how do I know if you put that stuff on?” And he said “you’ll have to trust us” it did look like the put it on the leather but it don’t know if they put it on the paint because it all took an hour. What could I use on the gel coat that’s easy and what does camping wold use if they do use something?