Humming

twilliams

I am hearing a humming sound in my landmark 365, 2015 Ashland. After reading a couple of other threads I opened the door to the basement and it seems to be behind the wall there. Is this where the transfer switch is! Could it be that or something else? What should I do to fix it? The humming has been there since I bought it over two years ago, but recently has gotten a little louder. I have generator prep but no generator. Any idea how to proceed?

danemayer

Hi twilliams,

In addition to the transfer switch, another candidate for noise would be the power converter (120V AC to 12V DC). Both are behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. You can take down one side of the wall to get closer and determine where the noise originates.

twilliams

Hi twilliams,

In addition to the transfer switch, another candidate for noise would be the power converter (120V AC to 12V DC). Both are behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. You can take down one side of the wall to get closer and determine where the noise originates.

So- is there any immediate danger with this situation I should be aware of?

danemayer

So- is there any immediate danger with this situation I should be aware of?

The electrical components are enclosed in metal boxes for safety. So I doubt there's an immediate danger from the humming. But if you start smelling any burning plastic or similar odors, that would be different.

You may just have some internal vibration. The question is whether it leads to early-life device failure. And naturally, failures always seem to occur at the worst possible times. It's usually worth taking a proactive approach.

twilliams

The electrical components are enclosed in metal boxes for safety. So I doubt there's an immediate danger from the humming. But if you start smelling any burning plastic or similar odors, that would be different.

You may just have some internal vibration. The question is whether it leads to early-life device failure. And naturally, failures always seem to occur at the worst possible times. It's usually worth taking a proactive approach.

Makes good sense. So- the next step is to isolate the device that is humming, likely the transfer switch or the converter. Once I know which one it is I will need to determine what action to take. From other posts I have read I see that I should make sure all the wires are tightened down and the door on the metal box may need to be insulated somehow to reduce vibration. Of course, I realize I would need to cut off all the power sources to the box before doing anything to them.

Do you have any other suggestions?

danemayer

A little humming is not unusual. The difficulty is that noise levels are subjective unless you take a sound level reading. If you install a sound meter app on your smart phone, you can take a couple of readings at say 6", 12", 24" and call the manufacturer to ask them what noise level (in dBM) is normal. Let them speak first. If they don't have an answer, you should ask them if they'll send you a replacement unit. Even though way out of warranty, you never know - they might.

busted2341

I am hearing a humming sound in my landmark 365, 2015 Ashland. After reading a couple of other threads I opened the door to the basement and it seems to be behind the wall there. Is this where the transfer switch is! Could it be that or something else? What should I do to fix it? The humming has been there since I bought it over two years ago, but recently has gotten a little louder. I have generator prep but no generator. Any idea how to proceed?

I had the exact same problem on mine and inquired. One answer I received was check the wires on the surge protector and sure enough the red in was loose. Shut up the load humming noise. Has loosened one other time and bingo humming gone. Simple fix.. Make sure all the lugs are tight.

Lynn1130

Every trailer I have owned with a converter has "hummed" once the battery is charged. Nothing has blown up yet.

DaveTyler

If you have to. No big deal to replace. Fairly easy. We changed one in Tyler on Frank Bakers. If not in hurry the manufacture offered a new one or rebuilt one for $80. New between $250-400. On line is much cheaper. However try to tighten lugs as mentioned. Frank is Lt’l Guy on forum. Whatever Dan Mayer says is usually good. Good luck. Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twilliams

Get some hinges and a latch to make am access door out of that wall.

Great idea! Thanks for that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have to. No big deal to replace. Fairly easy. We changed one in Tyler on Frank Bakers. If not in hurry the manufacture offered a new one or rebuilt one for $80. New between $250-400. On line is much cheaper. However try to tighten lugs as mentioned. Frank is Lt’l Guy on forum. Whatever Dan Mayer says is usually good. Good luck. Dave

Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for thee advice and information. VERY HELPFUL!

wdk450

The Progressive Dynamics 9200 series converters have a fan. I suspect that might be the cause of the humming noise. I hear it on quiet nights, too.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Could be the converter has just shifted position and is butted against something or the cooling fan has sucked up something. They don’t anchor them down when they toss them in the debris field they leave behind the walls.

I recommend you relocate it to a spot where the fan is not obstructed and it’s not under plumbing that can leak (like the cheap anti-siphon valve).