Another newb question about weight

orion7144

The 32RS we are looking at has a yellow sticker on the door jamb that reads dry weight 10237lbs. Is that what it was weight rolling off the assembly line? On the stickers on the side it says it has a GVWR of 15K. All of these numbers have me a bit confused since the Heartland website shows
GVWR
14,000 lbs

Dry Weight
11,450 lbs

Hitch Weight
2,290 lbs

danemayer

The yellow sticker dry weight is the actual weight of the trailer just before it exited the factory floor. If the dealer added anything, that weight may not be included.

GVWR is the maximum weight the trailer is rated for. Fully loaded, including all your gear, water in the tanks, propane, etc. you don't want to exceed GVWR.

The dry weight and hitch or pin weight shown on the Heartland website typically reflect a prototype build of that model with some set of features. But as Heartland makes changes, the weight specs may not be updated. So given that your purchased trailer may have additional options, or changes made since the prototype, you should consider the Dry Weight and Pin Weight to be approximate. The GVWR however, is your top limit.

For most people, it's pretty easy to get loaded up very close to the GVWR, or perhaps even over it. When considering hitch or pin weight, for planning purposes, you should assume the loaded pin weight will be about 20% of the GVWR. So you might assume 2,800 lbs on the hitch once you're loaded up. Compare that to the payload capacity of your truck, usually found on the sticker inside the driver's door frame. Leave margin for the weight of your hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, and passengers.

srcooke

Ask the dealer for the weight off the title. My BH3790RD was to be 13,950, but it was shipped (title weight) as 15,200. Add the washer and dryer, it didn't have much room to spare since 16,200 is the max.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Take it to a CAT scale and get it weighed, or at one of the rallies where RVSEF (?) is set up. My sticker says 12115, but it came in at 14575 at the 2011 rally. Pin was 2950 vs 2150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orion7144

Was that loaded?

Take it to a CAT scale and get it weighed, or at one of the rallies where RVSEF (?) is set up. My sticker says 12115, but it came in at 14575 at the 2011 rally. Pin was 2950 vs 2150.

JohnDar

Pretty much. But the tanks were empty. We had a washer/dryer installed in the nose by the dealer. Clothing and kitchen goods were the rest of it. We don’t full time so our “load” was probably less than those that do.

JohnDar

Combo unit (we have) is about 150 lbs. I’ve had to move it about in the closet to install a drain pan.

orion7144

I ended up calling Heartland up and they were very helpful. They said the yellow stick is as built coming off the line like mentioned above. They said the online/brochure numbers are from the first one that was build and has all the options. So I would assume that the online number has the generator included thus the over the over 1k difference.

BrannonB

That makes me wonder what my weight is then. The website says 7688 on my Pioneer DS310, but the yellow sticker says 8160. I asked the salesman about it and he said it was from the “options” such as power stabilizers and power tongue jack. I wouldn’t think the jack and stabilizers would be 500 pounds more than manual.

orion7144

The guy did mention that they can add or remove options after the first run but do not change the brochure.

That makes me wonder what my weight is then. The website says 7688 on my Pioneer DS310, but the yellow sticker says 8160. I asked the salesman about it and he said it was from the “options” such as power stabilizers and power tongue jack. I wouldn’t think the jack and stabilizers would be 500 pounds more than manual.

danemayer

I ended up calling Heartland up and they were very helpful. They said the yellow stick is as built coming off the line like mentioned above. They said the online/brochure numbers are from the first one that was build and has all the options. So I would assume that the online number has the generator included thus the over the over 1k difference.
When they said the brochure numbers include all the options, they may have meant "forced options". I'm pretty sure they don't list the empty weight to include items such as the generator.

avvidclif

Also remember coming off the line means no battery or propane. Add those and it's probably heavier than that.

NYSUPstater

FWIW, our BC has a listed dry weight of 13,300. Weighed it at a CAT scale after leaving dealer and it scaled out at 14,000. No w/d which would be in hallway slide. Pin wt was pretty much spot on (dry). Fully loaded for a week, 3 people, 1 dog/cat and the RV now weighed 15,980---max of 16,000. Lil over on the truck, but I'm okay w/ that. Our old coach (Cedar Creek Silverback) published weights VS actual wts were exact (dry).

orion7144

FWIW, our BC has a listed dry weight of 13,300. Weighed it at a CAT scale after leaving dealer and it scaled out at 14,000. No w/d which would be in hallway slide. Pin wt was pretty much spot on (dry). Fully loaded for a week, 3 people, 1 dog/cat and the RV now weighed 15,980---max of 16,000. Lil over on the truck, but I'm okay w/ that. Our old coach (Cedar Creek Silverback) published weights VS actual wts were exact (dry).

What was the dry weight on the yellow sticker on the door jamb?

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

What was the dry weight on the yell sticker on the door jamb?

At this time I cannot answer that for the rv is in storage and I don't recall what the yellow label said. The label tho is on left side of coach by units data label/info. Not until late April will I be able to fully answer your question. Sorry.

orion7144

Unfortunately after my persistence with the dealer they were able to find out the door sticker is incorrect and the actual dry weight is almost 12K. Thats more than I feel comfortable with before adding cargo.

silvasp

I have a question about weight too. Looking at the attachment, What is my DRY (curb) Weight. Trailer totally empty?

Weight?.jpg

rjr6150

You should have a sticker on your door which states the weight for your unit as it left the factory. Mine was yellow.