Microwave Died!!

Hello, all;

I joined the forum a while back, after purchasing a used 2011 Big Horn 3455RL, and this is my first posting. We purchased the unit from its original owner, at the RV resort in Florida where we've spent the last five winters. He bought a house in the Villages, and was in a bit of a rush to sell the rig. We bought it at what I feel was a great price, and are happy with the transition from the older Keystone Cougar that we had. We only stayed in the Big Horn for two nights last April before we closed it all up and went home to NH for the summer. We just got back to Florida two days ago, and are settling in to the Big Horn with lots of positive feelings about it.

We have been faced with some minor issues, which we fully expected when we bought it. I replaced the bathroom sink faucets today, because the hot water side leaked when it was turned on. The original faucets were quite cheap and I couldn't find a way to change out the cartridges, so I just went to Lowe's and picked up a whole new faucet. Got it installed this morning and it is working as advertised, with no further leaks.

So....we're sitting eating supper this evening, and my wife is cooking another half of a spaghetti squash in the microwave (Frigidaire Model CFM152CLBA), when it went "poof" and appeared to spark above the touchpad. There was an acrid smell of burning electrical components, and nothing on the unit currently works. The circuit breaker did not trip.

I Googled the unit, and did a search on this forum, but gleaned no information of what might be wrong with it. I don't suspect I can purchase a replacement for it, and it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a "mobile RV tech" come out and look at it. I'm hoping that someone on this forum may have had the same misfortune as me, and can direct me as to where I can find a new microwave that I can install in it's place without having to do a whole lot of alterations to the area in which the Frigidaire is currently mounted.

I appreciate any feedback people have to offer.

THANKS!!

Jim

danemayer

Hi Jimmy,

Jesstalkn has replaced his microwave and now has a very nice one ($$$). Here's a link to his post.

Most microwaves will fit into the same space as yours, but you should still measure and check the specs on the unit you're considering. You may have to make some adjustment for the mounting holes and/or exhaust.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
We replaced our Microwave with a GE Profile like this one. Had to change the mounting plate and it fit right in. About 2 hours or less to change out.

mlpeloquin

We had to replace ours as well. Great opportunity to get a real good one. OEM's are not the top end units. Don't bother fixing, but replace. Not hard to do and just make sure that the fan is set correctly for the vent. Other than that it will most likely a new back mounting plate. I was able to use the support holes in the upper cabinets. They actually matched! Took less that 90 minuets. Love the new microwave. Ours is a GE.

jerryjay11

As a retired appliance repair tech the cost of repair is more than the cost of a new microwave. Components alone can cost upward of $180-200, never mind the cost of a tech to come out to look at it. And they have to get paid even though you decline repair. I've always told customers it is cheaper to replace than repair MW's.

Also all RV microwaves I've serviced under warranty are basically countertop units. Dimensions and functions are the only difference between MW's. You may have to modify the trim around it, but that allows you to make it your own.

Another note:
The only value a broke microwave has is the 2 magnets in the magnetron, but if you dare to take it apart beware of the HIGH VOLTAGE capacitor. It can discharge a shock that would put a grown man on his fanny. Short it out with a screwdriver first then remove and disassemble the "mag". You'll find two round magnetics inside that comes in handy.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll be headed off to Lowe's and Home Depot to scope out a new one. I learned the people who owned the rig before us used the microwave pretty much exclusively for food preparation, so it was probably getting tired. We have always elected to use the oven (I know, most people hate them) to cook meals, so our replacement microwave doesn't need to be a top-of-the-line one, nor does it need to be a convection type.

And Jerryjay, no need to worry about me getting shocked, because the value of those magnets are not worth it to me. Thanks for the heads up, though!!

jerryjay11

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll be headed off to Lowe's and Home Depot to scope out a new one. I learned the people who owned the rig before us used the microwave pretty much exclusively for food preparation, so it was probably getting tired. We have always elected to use the oven (I know, most people hate them) to cook meals, so our replacement microwave doesn't need to be a top-of-the-line one, nor does it need to be a convection type.

And Jerryjay, no need to worry about me getting shocked, because the value of those magnets are not worth it to me. Thanks for the heads up, though!!

I just like taking things apart.