Water leaking from pin box / front cap

EPaulikonis

I have a 2015 Heartland Landmark Savannah parked under a metal shelter that's leaking water from the front cap right at the opening to the pin box connection. I've seen another thread at https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/69628-Front-cap-question that mentioned leaking water lines and damaged seals, but one user (rxbristol) did mention condensation, so I'm curious if Heartland is hearing more about condensation concerns in the front cap.

Facts: This started when we moved our unit to a location in TN. Our washer dryer connection is in a closet located at mid-coach near the bathroom and shower. We haven't had rain here in several weeks and the RV is mostly covered from the elements, temp is currently 12F, not a single drop of water visible on the roof and I have icicles hanging from the opening to the pin box. The RV is inspected annually to maintain warranty; I also inspect seals every 3-months to stay on top of changes. We keep the RV around 60F at night and up to 68F during the day; we also leave the closet doors open so air can flow in the front walk in closet; no sweat visible on the windows; we do run a dehumidifier at times to help when we notice increased humidity and moisture in the coach. No cracks, missing, or damaged caulk on the seams or roof that I've noticed recently; next inspection will be completed in Jan or Feb.

Attachments

• IMG_3512_edited.jpg
    IMG_3512_edited.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

rxbristol

This is condensation forming in the front cap and leaking down to the lowest point--quite common in the winter.

EPaulikonis

Any way to lessen the impact? Only other thing I can imagine is putting vent openings inside the closet, but I doubt that would create enough air flow to eliminate the moisture.

This is condensation forming in the front cap and leaking down to the lowest point--quite common in the winter.

Dennyha

I noticed something similar back in November, when I noticed a slow drip from one of the screws holding the trim around the pin box. I checked the caulking around the front cap. I checked my water lines to the washer. Everything was okay. A few days later, the drip stopped.

EPaulikonis

At the time of the photo, it was still dripping some. I've noticed it on two other occasions while here in TN. No rain or standing water on the roof, but I'd see small drips coming from the pinbox.

I fully believe its condensation inside the cap. So the question is, what will Heartland do to fix the issue? Also curious what I can do to minimize the impact until Heartland can do a permanent fix. I see it as a design flaw. Not sure what Heartland has to say on the matter. Even the moderators are avoiding the post.

In your pictures, are those 'running drips' or frozen drips?

rxbristol

You'll notice it most when the condensation freezes and then thaws out. It's better to run out than to pool up inside the cap.

porthole

Retired
At the time of the photo, it was still dripping some. I've noticed it on two other occasions while here in TN. No rain or standing water on the roof, but I'd see small drips coming from the pinbox.

I fully believe its condensation inside the cap. So the question is, what will Heartland do to fix the issue? Also curious what I can do to minimize the impact until Heartland can do a permanent fix. I see it as a design flaw. Not sure what Heartland has to say on the matter. Even the moderators are avoiding the post.

If that is indeed condensation, I would think you have a problem. You are only seeing the water that is overcoming whatever obstacles are in it's it way.

The moderators are not avoiding the post. If they have nothing to add - they won't. If it gets to a point of crossing the line of acceptable posts, they will give it attention.

danemayer

My experience with condensation is that it's a combination of humidity and temperature differential. 12 (F) outside and in the 60s inside is the temperature differential. Humidity is unknown. When we'd go skiing, we got condensation buildup in the bedroom, between the slideout wall and the mattress. I had to put spacers in between to allow air circulation.

Keeping the closet doors open may be aggravating your situation. The warm air from inside the coach migrates into the front closet where it warms up the inside surface of the front cap. That's likely producing any condensation.

It's also possible the insulation in the front cap is out of place. Normally you would expect the insulation to provide a thermal barrier even with the closet doors open. But if it's fallen down, as several people have reported now and then, the heat would more easily transfer to the inside surface of the front cap.

You might pull out the shoe rack from the front wall of the closet to check the position of the insulation.

And close the closet doors.

And unless there's a good reason to keep the coach warmed up to the 60s, I'd suggest running the thermostat at 45 (F).