Phone based GPS Question

gslabbert5119

It seems that both Google Maps and Iphone map takes me off the freeway and onto some really sketchy roads and always the most direct route and not the smartest route for an RV.
While pulling a 40ft 5er I typically do not want to get off i-80 near San Francisco airport and have to work my way through the city passed ATT ballpark when I could have stayed on i-80 because the gps says that is the fastest route

Is there an application phone based that I can set the route to use freeways and toll roads rather than the shortest route.

Thanks

jerryjay11

Copilot is one, but suggest you do a research for RV mapping software for you phone operating system.

gslabbert5119

Thanks Jerry I will look into CoPilot, but why reinvent the wheel, when in all likelihood this research has been done by someone on this forum and the apps have been narrowed down to a few good ones.

Part of what I was wondering is whether a truck GPS app has been deemed the best for folks with large motorhomes and 40ft 5ers

Oregon_Camper

..following this for info. I use Waze today, but no way to enter RV information, so not the best tool for me when towing RV. Waze is great without the RV.

danemayer

CoPilot on a iPad or other large tablet has an amazing display of intersections and turns, along with 1/10 mile tick marks on the display. So the guidance up close is pretty great. I tied the tablet into WiFi from my phone as hotspot which allowed me to search Google from inside CoPilot and use the result as a destination. So the Points of Interest is as comprehensive as Google.

I ran it in parallel with my Garmin 760LMT, which is designed for RVs. The low-cost version of CoPilot doesn't let me profile the RV height above 13', whereas we're 13'3". But you can manage that with a low-clearance app and/or Trucker Road Atlas studied in advance.

CoPilot allows you to set preferences for highways and tolls.

Running in parallel with the Garmin, I found they frequently disagreed on routing, even with preferences set the same. The underlying map database is from different sources, which might explain some of that. I trust the Garmin, so where there was a conflict, I went with the Garmin. Eventually I decided to stick with the Garmin. But if it breaks, I might go back to the CoPilot. And I might even pay for the RV/Truck version that allows a high enough height setting.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We fulltime and I have been using Co-pilot for years and it hasn’t steered me wrong. If you over 13’ tall you need to purchase the Co-pilot RV app. I use the app on my tablet in our MDT towing the 5er and on my phone in the Smart Car. The app kept us safe travel in the northeast a couple of years ago. I opted to not use the toll roads and it steered us safely around any Low bridges which the northeast is known for. Also have had no problems traveling in Canada using Co-pilot.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

orion7144

I was looking at the Co-pilot features and did not see anything about fuel stops. Does it have safe places to fuel up?