Morryde vs Lippert Entry Steps

klp605

At the WI RV Show, not only Heartland' s but other manufacturers are putting decent steps on the main entry door. The majority have the Lippert Solid Step while a few had Morryde. This modification is on the top of my list for spring. According to the salesman the Lipperts are new.

For those of you familiar with both, what one would you purcahse for your trailer?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jbeletti

It's nice to have options.

The Lippert and MORryde steps are gaining popularity. Even more popular is the Glow Step Revolution by Torklift.

Of those 3, I've only had the MORryde steps. We like them alot. It will be hard to find people who've tried 2 of the steps above to get "actual use" comparisons over a period of time and various setups at campgrounds.

If you have much concern over being able to deploy a staircase in a tight spot or against a curb, then the Torklift may be the best choice as the Lippert and MORryde are all-or-nothing deployments.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We love our Glowstep Revolution steps. Had them on for about two years and no problems.

mlpeloquin

We have the Glow Steps. Had to deploy in tight areas several times in our storage area. They are sturdy and do not bounce. Adjust well to uneven ground. Our dogs go up and down without hesitating.

BusManRG

Spent a big part of the day yesterday at RV show here in Pleasanton, California. I talked with various sales people for various rigs. Looks like many of them are going to a solid step, but I was told by one of two Heartland dealers that they understood folding aluminum step could still be ordered if you preferred folding over a solid step. Otherwise, the solid steps are what is arriving on all their new orders. Personally I wouldn’t want the solid step and the people we were pre-shopping for do not want them either.

Sandy

Dean-Pam

We purchased the MorRyde solid step at the Elkhart National Rally, really loved them. Several folks tested what we had and ordered them for their own camper. Then it hit me, I wouldn't be able to deploy them when the camper was in the RV Garage. After talking to Gary Wheeler, they took back the solid step (we still had the folding steps) and he mentioned they had a clip on solid step and we purchased these instead and had them shipped home.

I installed the clip on solid step and now have the best of both worlds. I know some folks will say something about having to haul the clip on ones, but for us, this works and we wouldn't go back to a one or the other choice.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We love our GlowSteps, and highly recommend them as they so easily adapt to all kinds of terrain.

That said, we were at the RV show yesterday in Ft. Worth, and went in and out a lot of rigs with the new style of solid steps. Having done that, without thinking, I could not pinpoint a difference in how they "felt".

I did notice that on some rigs the Lippert steps still "creak" when going in and out.

I also noticed the Lippert steps have a larger step at the top, before entering the rig. I like this, as it gave a little more stability when first exiting the rig.

I did also notice that the step sizes from ground to first step, the static steps, and last step to inside the rig CAN VARY, and this can cause a stumbling hazard.

I am also still not a fan of having the steps fold inside the rig for storage.

Just my 2 cents. I think all of them are an improvement over the old folding style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kandy

We purchased STEPABOVE by MORryde and Love them. Thanks for all the online information. Nice to not be worried about SPRINGING off the steps into my neighbors RV. ;);););)
Our original steps had bolts that were impossible to get at so we left the original steps and have had no problems.

EWG

"We purchased the MorRyde solid step at the Elkhart National Rally, really loved them. Several folks tested what we had and ordered them for their own camper. Then it hit me, I wouldn't be able to deploy them when the camper was in the RV Garage. After talking to Gary Wheeler, they took back the solid step (we still had the folding steps) and he mentioned they had a clip on solid step and we purchased these instead and had them shipped home.

I installed the clip on solid step and now have the best of both worlds. I know some folks will say something about having to haul the clip on ones, but for us, this works and we wouldn't go back to a one or the other choice. "

I take it that the solid steps have some kind of quick disconnect pin that will allow you to remove the steps and use the folding steps in a tight area.

Gary521

I have a 3270 and do not think that the steps that fold into the trailer ( either of the two mentioned ) would fit. The inside stairs to the bedroom look like they would conflict with the folded in steps. The Glowsteps would work. I found something on line from Camco which is a adjustable brace that fits under the bottom step to keep the steps from bouncing. There are two types- one is attached to the bottom step and one is movable. The price is a heart stopping $10. I realize that if you stop for a break at a rest stop you would not deploy the brace. For overnight or longer, the time to adjust the brace is the same as all the others. Any thoughts here?

porthole

Retired
We purchased the MorRyde solid step at the Elkhart National Rally, really loved them. Several folks tested what we had and ordered them for their own camper. Then it hit me, I wouldn't be able to deploy them when the camper was in the RV Garage. After talking to Gary Wheeler, they took back the solid step (we still had the folding steps) and he mentioned they had a clip on solid step and we purchased these instead and had them shipped home.

I installed the clip on solid step and now have the best of both worlds. I know some folks will say something about having to haul the clip on ones, but for us, this works and we wouldn't go back to a one or the other choice.

No pictures ????

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Another vote for the Glowstep. We love ours and have had places we have stopped where we would not be able to deploy other type steps mentioned here.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Glowsteps here. On top of the facts that they suit our needs well, the flip up inside the door models likely wouldn’t work anyway in relationship with the indoor steps.
a2df97ca7aa9935a93fbde990689275d.jpg

CoveredWagon

I have a 3270 and do not think that the steps that fold into the trailer ( either of the two mentioned ) would fit. The inside stairs to the bedroom look like they would conflict with the folded in steps. The Glowsteps would work. I found something on line from Camco which is a adjustable brace that fits under the bottom step to keep the steps from bouncing. There are two types- one is attached to the bottom step and one is movable. The price is a heart stopping $10. I realize that if you stop for a break at a rest stop you would not deploy the brace. For overnight or longer, the time to adjust the brace is the same as all the others. Any thoughts here?

We have a 3270 as well. I purchased a support to go under the bottom step as well. I only deploy it when we set up for the night or more.

- - - Updated - - -

When we toured the SOB factory they were just introducing the new, I believe, Mor/Ryde steps. Several of the gals said those steps would be a deal breaker. One reason pointed out is you might not be able to deploy them in a tight spot. Another was, the gals did not like the idea of dumping the dirt on the steps into the coach. This manufacturer said the were leaving the cutout for the folding steps behind the smooth exterior wall just in case the new steps were not accepted.

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the morryde steps, love them. Do they require more room...yes. we don't camping in extreme tight spots so it's not a problem for us. Steps are a game changer. Don't know what others do but I keep a small whisk broom and I clean them off before traveling

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

violinini1

We saw at the Goshen Rally last year that they were putting the Mor-Ryde steps on the LandMarks with power assist. But Mor-Ryde did not have this option for the after market. Has anyone seen this option for the aftermarket yet? It made lifting the steps a lot easier for my DW.

pegmikef

My new Oshkosh came with the Morryde StepAbove solid steps and I was very skeptical of them, but since they were installed we thought they were worth trying. I am glad I did, because IMHO, these are the best steps we have ever had. There is a small learning curve (took me at least two deployments to get it right). They are very comfortable and stable to use (no trailer bounce when someone uses them), my wife easily deploys and stows them with one hand. They stow immediately inside the door so comments about getting dirt on the couch are nonsense unless the couch is in front of the door (of course we sweep them as required before stowing them). We spent a month in the RGV, Tx and really got to like them.

The other complaint I read was deploying them in tight sites. I have absolutely no concern about this as they only extend about six inches past my slide and I personally will never pick, nor accept a site where there is only six inches between my slide and obstacles.

Attachments

• steps.jpg
    steps.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 73

Mark-Roberta 051995

We have been investigating the Morryde step above Zero-G (gravity) steps for our 2017 LM 365. I was intrigued from J. Beletti (sp) new LM as he has them. This is a new product from Morryde and are on numerous fifth wheels besides Heartlands. I believe pegmikef photo are the ones. They have a lift assisting strut inside the door which allows you to lift and lower with about 1 finger. The wife was very happy as we saw one at a show.

So, with that in mind Morryde will not sell to the public at this time with these new steps. I was told that they have not come up with clear enough installation instructions as they have had numerous dealerships struggle with the installation (go figure). There are multiple screws that need to be installed and secured to allow the strut to do its job. I am hoping that Jim B. will chime in again on his application and may be able to give us an insight on why a dealer cannot install accurately.

One last thing. I did get a phone call from a local dealer that I have been working with to purchase a set and they spoke with Heartland and was told that they could order a set for me. In the event that we went through with the purchase the dealership and us are fully liable on the install and no warranty given or implied for the installation. $574 plus freight, approx. $100 plus installation at dealer ($100 per hour). I may just keep using my fold in steps
:cool: