Customer Service

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Has anyone else noticed a falling off of the customer service/warranty at Heartland? It has been over a month and a half and I cannot get any resolution for our issues, most of which I can fix myself if I had the parts. I cannot even get a return phone call from the brand manager. This is our third Heartland rig and getting parts for the other two was an easy process. I cannot even explain how disappointed we are. Excellent customer service was one of the things that set Heartland off from other brands. If that is gone or not important to them anymore they will just end up like all the other manufacturers.

BusManRG

I sure hope things aren’t changing �� It’s always been so easy to brag about Heartland customer service, I hope that’s always the case. Im sure you’ll hear back from them soon and all issues will be nicely resolved��. I’ve been concerned about their marketing and had a very nice reply from the Big Horn brand manager. I think they’re working hard at upping their game. There’s more competition than ever and I think they realize they will need to step up if they want to be in the lead. Past glory does not guarantee future wins. Just ask us 49’er and Giants fans:D

Sandy

jerryjay11

In the past three months I have contacted Heartland customer service and the service department and have had immediate response. Actually have been contacted with the same day I called/email. I just received an answer today to a question that I emailed Heartland service yesterday.

Early December 2016 when I winterized our camper I observed my outdoor shower was leaking. I offered to pay for a replacement shower assembly rather than drive 2.5 hours round trip to CW, but Heartland's customer service insisted since I was under warranty to send me out a replacement. I received it within a few days and returned shipping for the defective part was covered by Heartland.

I am very happy with Heartland.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My experience via email is usually takes a day to get a response. Over the holidays, they may have been short-staffed. It also does take some time to get parts, as Heartland has to order from supplier, then once they get it, they ship to you. I know this may not be most efficient for the customer, but it's the process. Some of our "simple replacement parts" took close to a month to finally receive, from initial request. None of our issues kept us from enjoying our unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdamude

Has anyone else noticed a falling off of the customer service/warranty at Heartland? It has been over a month and a half and I cannot get any resolution for our issues, most of which I can fix myself if I had the parts. I cannot even get a return phone call from the brand manager. This is our third Heartland rig and getting parts for the other two was an easy process. I cannot even explain how disappointed we are. Excellent customer service was one of the things that set Heartland off from other brands. If that is gone or not important to them anymore they will just end up like all the other manufacturers.

I feel the same. The fireplace quit in our unit and we sent an email asking for warranty consideration. The answer was a flat no. I responded with another email and the rep wouldn't even reply.

The level of service has definitely changed. The industry is booming right now and I truly think the focus has changed. I hope the strong customer service returns, but it may not happen while the industry is in high gear. We too are on our third Heartland unit but it didn't seem to matter.

DickO

Definitely service has fallen off. We have had our 2017 3160 Bighorn since February. We have been trying to get our shower which has stress cracks fixed since new. They are sending us to our 3rd dealer for repair. This will require 10 hours of driving to drop off and pick up plus fuel. MAD. Plus Heartland will not pick up $285 of warrante work at a dealer Heartland sent me to. One of the reasons we purchased our second Bighorn was because of the great service we got with our 2010.

jdamude

Definitely service has fallen off. We have had our 2017 3160 Bighorn since February. We have been trying to get our shower which has stress cracks fixed since new. They are sending us to our 3rd dealer for repair. This will require 10 hours of driving to drop off and pick up plus fuel. MAD. Plus Heartland will not pick up $285 of warrante work at a dealer Heartland sent me to. One of the reasons we purchased our second Bighorn was because of the great service we got with our 2010.

We had the shower crack in our 2014. They paid for a local repairman to come out and repair it. There is guys out there that do acrylic repairs to home showers and tubs. I think the bill was $160.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
My experience via email is usually takes a day to get a response. Over the holidays, they may have been short-staffed. It also does take some time to get parts, as Heartland has to order from supplier, then once they get it, they ship to you. I know this may not be most efficient for the customer, but it's the process. Some of our "simple replacement parts" took close to a month to finally receive, from initial request. None of our issues kept us from enjoying our unit.

None of our issues have either. On the flip side though there are things we cannot use either. I am just used to them being a lot more responsive I guess.

Lynn1130

I feel the same. The fireplace quit in our unit and we sent an email asking for warranty consideration. The answer was a flat no. I responded with another email and the rep wouldn't even reply.

I had two recent calls to CS and had the same good results that I have had for the past 5+ years.

In fairness I have to ask concerning the above statement. I probably would have called and asked too but the answer you got is what I would expect on an out of warranty unit. I would not expect to continue the contact. Kind of like my father used to tell me. The answer was no. That won't change so don't keep bringing it up.

The fireplace probably has it's own warranty through the manufacturer. That is where I would be going with it anyway. The fireplace is not a Heartland product and they would not have warrantied it in the first place, at least to my knowledge.

G_S

I have had no problem other than slow response times, bu I always call them as directly as possible.

kbuckler

We share your frustration. We chose Heartland because we met some fellow owners who spoke so highly of the company. Unfortunately, that has not been our experience. We have been trying to have warranty work performed on our Newport for almost a year now and are still getting the run-around. We are constantly put in the position to negotiate between the dealer and factory over time allotment and the contact we do get from Heartland is curt. We just want Heartland to tell us what we need to do for them to uphold their promise of warranty. Instead, they continually put the onus on us to force the process. Frankly, it has taken the fun out of owning this RV. Best of luck with resolution with your issues, you are not alone.

Lynn1130

We are constantly put in the position to negotiate between the dealer and factory over time allotment

Few of us use the dealers for repairs because of just that issue. Heartland will authorize an independent repair facility if you get them the information. This speeds up repair work greatly. You have to pay the repair shop once the repairs are authorized by Heartland and Heartland sends you a check for the repair work.

Some have also found that dealers have told them they are "working" with Heartland to get the repair authorized, or parts ordered, only to find that Heartland was never contacted.

But the bottom line is if you are trying to work with a "dealer", forget it and find another, independent repair facility that is trusted by other RV owners.

Thunderbolt

Our new 2018 Cyclone 4005 has been in the shop 97 days.
01-26-2018 Cyclone 4005 has been in the shop 99 days.

Last edited:

donr827

Few of us use the dealers for repairs because of just that issue. Heartland will authorize an independent repair facility if you get them the information. This speeds up repair work greatly. You have to pay the repair shop once the repairs are authorized by Heartland and Heartland sends you a check for the repair work.

Some have also found that dealers have told them they are "working" with Heartland to get the repair authorized, or parts ordered, only to find that Heartland was never contacted.

But the bottom line is if you are trying to work with a "dealer", forget it and find another, independent repair facility that is trusted by other RV owners.

X2 for sure
Don

TrailCreek

X2 for sure
Don
We bought our '17 Newport and it took over a month for the dealer to install a dishwasher and fix initial walk through items, at least a few of them. We finally got it and the same issue with broken closet doors happened after less than 20 miles, bad design. Dealer said parts were on order. We had to leave town so I fixed it myself and it's held for several thousand miles. When we got back, after a few months, they said the parts were still on order. BS. I called the factory and they knew nothing. By then we had 20+- warranty items that needed fixing and the dealer said they had a 5 item limit per day. We had to bring it in, let them do what they could, and pick it up before they close. No overnight, even if waiting for parts. Are you kidding me was the factory response. They had me transfer to another dealer who has had it a few weeks, and kept it while parts were on order. I guess the other dealer had too much business to be concerned about CS. I'll never go back. It's not always the factory.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

My experience w/ HL CS has been 100% positive. From before we even placed our order to having a (IMO) major design flaw fixed. What P***** me off was local dealer for BC didn't want to touch it. Competing dealer who sold BH just across the street made an initial repair to get us by, talked to HL while there at that time and then made arrangements for me to take to their sister shop and hour-n-change away for more permanent repairs. Took a couple trips, but got done. Never had a prob w/ HL. Ironically, local dealer still has on their website same coach he had on it back in June of last year. Be interesting to see if they are at local RV show coming up. They just had their "own private" sale.

On a side note. When we were opting out our BC, our salesman made several calls to HL to get answers to our questions on options/changes and he always got back to me within a day or so.

TrailCreek

The sad part was the salesman, who was fantastic, has to sell over their poor service. I should have paid more attention pre-sale. I'm a past service manager, tech, and came away from this dealer scratching my head over the ignorance, lack of basic RV construction, and blatant lies told. The service manager couldn't read factory cabinet drawings to see what they were ordering wouldn't work. Told me when it got there that the factory screwed up. I had to give a little math lesson to show how a farm sink wouldn't fit in the middle of a countertop. Also tried to convince me that a 2.5" gap was normal when the slide was out. You could put your fist behind the interior seal. They had no answer when I pointed out the other end was tight. Detailers burned through paint, dinged panels, didn't clean interior pre-delivery. Suggestion, factory service certification needs monitoring. At some point, just high sales volume does not a good dealer make.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pegmikef

My experience with Heartland customer service has always been positive. I am on my fourth HL rig and fortunately have not had to go to customer service very often. My latest problem was just a week or two ago when the faultily installed security clasp for the TV gave out and caused irreparable damage to the TV. I contacted HL and the problem was resolved. I have always used email rather than the phone and it is easier to succinctly describe the problem and provide supporting photos or documentation It has taken from and a couple of hours to a day or so to receive a response, but I feel that my problems have always been professionally resolved by the customer service representative.

Lynn1130

It's not Heartland that is the problem in most all cases. It is the dealers service departments that either are so backed up with repairs that it takes months to get a small repair done or they do not follow through with obtaining the authorization from Heartland and ordering the parts and then either fudge the truth or make some excuse. After find a misaligned slide problem I took it to the dealer as it was still under warranty. A 40 mile one way trip. I then waited for a month to get it back. That was the last time I went to the dealer. Heartland authorized the repair within the first week.

jerryjay11

It's not Heartland that is the problem in most all cases. It is the dealers service departments that either are so backed up with repairs that it takes months to get a small repair done or they do not follow through with obtaining the authorization from Heartland and ordering the parts and then either fudge the truth or make some excuse. After find a misaligned slide problem I took it to the dealer as it was still under warranty. A 40 mile one way trip. I then waited for a month to get it back. That was the last time I went to the dealer. Heartland authorized the repair within the first week.

I'm with ya on this one! From my appliance experience working with service contracts and manufacturer warranty repairs the dealer receives substantial reduced labour cost payments. So getting non-warranty repairs in shop are much more profitable.