What Size A-Frame Ladder?

Greengas

Good Evening Heartland Family

Let me begin by agreeing up front that there are many different types of ladders and each has its good and bad points and I am not trying to begin a debate about a ladder's merits. I simply want a ladder I can attach to my rig's back ladder and use to keep the nose of the rig clean after a days travel. I chose and A-Frame because I don't want to lean anything up against the rig.

Ok, now that that's taken care of, my question is, for those who travel with an A-Frame ladder, what size do you have and how easy does it make it to reach the top of the front of the rig? My thought is, since I am almost 6'2" tall, a 10' ladder would work great but might be too tall to put up on the back ladder. My rig is put up for the winter and I can't run out and measure the height of the back ladder.

So, thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your kind guidance!

donr827

The way I washed my front cap after a days travel is to set up the trailer and then back the truck up with the tail gate open climb into the bed of the truck with a extended brush and a water hose. If you get to the bugs early only water is needed. Love bugs took a little more scrubbing .
Don

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I have the 6 foot collapsible one. I have zero issues cleaning all the windows with it. The few times I have needed a bigger one, the park maintenance has always had one I could borrow.

Greengas

I like the 8 ft also just put it in the back of your pick up to clean the front cap:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I am thinking.

- - - Updated - - -

The way I washed my front cap after a days travel is to set up the trailer and then back the truck up with the tail gate open climb into the bed of the truck with a extended brush and a water hose. If you get to the bugs early only water is needed. Love bugs took a little more scrubbing .
Don

I gather its a flow through brush. Do you have a picture of it or a model number?

- - - Updated - - -

I have the 6 foot collapsible one. I have zero issues cleaning all the windows with it. The few times I have needed a bigger one, the park maintenance has always had one I could borrow.

I guess no concerns about leaning it up against the trailer?

Oregon_Camper

Ronn,

Do you have any issues with getting on the roof of your RV...some folks don't like climbing up there.

Reason I ask is I can wash about 2/3's of the front of our Bighorn from the ground with a brush that has some extension built in. Then I simple go on the roof the Bighorn and wash the rest from the top. I'll bring the hose with me and rinse from the top and then give the gutters a nice rinse as well. Gives me a chance to also inspect the roof for any possible issues.

- - - Updated - - -

The way I washed my front cap after a days travel is to set up the trailer and then back the truck up with the tail gate open climb into the bed of the truck with a extended brush and a water hose.

OMG....such an easy solution, yet something I have never thought of. :cool: Don...you da' man!

donr827

Ronn
I use a hose with a pressure nozzle on it, not connected to the brush. I wash off the front cap with hose and pressure nozzle to take off the easy off bugs and then use the brush. The pressure nozzle will also soften up the tough ones.
Updated - - -
Don

Kathi-27

some walmarts have a adjustable pole [yellow in color] in the paint department that you can put a brush on that goes 6-12 ft for about 10-15 dollars and brush was about the same. they want 30 plus on amazon for the pole. works real good. you can stand on back of truck and reach top of cap or 7-8ft a frame ladder will work fine.

Lou_and_Bette

While at the National rally, I had a “Duhhhhh” moment when a fellow Heartlander (hey Butch) started washing the front of his rig and to facilitate this he lowered the front as low as his front legs would allow. He could then easily reach the entire front cap with his washing wand. One of those “so simple ideas, why didn’t I think of it!”

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From the roof (via the rear ladder) I can do the roof, slide toppers, 2/3’s of the open awning and the top portion of the front and rear caps. With an extension pole, I get the rest from the ground. If need be, I have a 12’6” Extend&Climb ladder to get difficult spots. Had a Cosco folding A-frame ladder for a while but it took up more space than the Extend&Climb and was trickier to get in/out of the basement due to it’s length and weight.

I use Magic Eraser sponges to get the tough grime off, from the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greengas

Oh, that type of collapsible ladder. I'll have to check and see if they come in an 8' variety.

- - - Updated - - -

From the roof (via the rear ladder) I can do the roof, slide toppers, 2/3’s of the open awning and the top portion of the front and rear caps. With an extension pole, I get the rest from the ground. If need be, I have a 12’6” Extend&Climb ladder to get difficult spots. Had a Cosco folding A-frame ladder for a while but it took up more space than the Extend&Climb and was trickier to get in/out of the basement due to it’s length and weight.

I use Magic Eraser sponges to get the tough grime off, from the ladder.

Interesting. I like the size of the extend and climb but I'm not a fan of leaning things up against the rig. I am interested in your use of the Magic Eraser, I guess there is no concern about using it on the Gel Coat? I appreciate and am jealous about your ability to work from your roof. I'm afraid that those days are behind me now so its all from ground level (or from a ladder on ground level). :eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The gelcoat on my caps has seen better days, so using a Magic Eraser can’t do any damage. But leaning the ladder on the caps or the sides hasn’t been a problem (no marking seen).

Getting on the roof via the rear ladder is still easy for me since I only weigh 175 lbs. and still fairly agile for a 69 y.o. fool. I use a rope to pull my cleaning gear and hose up to the roof.