Building a WIFI Network Inside My RV

jbeletti

So Jim what do you think about it for my purposes, at home. We don't stream.

If you need to get your Internet via cellular and onto a wired network, it’s a decent option. It also has external antenna ports for cellular. On a home, I’d use an outdoor directional antenna with it.

This unit is also a wireless access point (hotspot). I have that WiFi turned off on my unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Ronn - you asked a few questions about the gear I'm using. I don't think my setup is what you want but I will give a high level overview...

Goals
  1. An RV network that allows me to connect wired and wireless client devices together (phones, tablets, laptops, Mac Mini, Printer, IP cameras, NVR, Roku, Amazon Echo, Google Home, DirecTV receiver, Home Automation controller etc).
  2. Internet access by all client devices, delivered from Wired, WiFi and Cellular sources
Gear Used

Cellular
  • Novatel / Verizon 4G LTE Broadband Router with Voice T1114 (using SIM from my regular MiFi)
WiFi
  • HyperLink HG2415U-PRO 2.4 GHz 15 dBi Omnidirectional Antenna w/ N-Female Connector
  • Ubiquiti Bullet M2 Titanium - Wireless Access Point - AirMax (BM2-TI)
Networking Gear
  • Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG)
  • Ubiquiti Unifi Cloud Key - Remote Control Device (UC-CK)
  • Ubiquiti Unifi 8-Port Switch, Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP, 150W (US-8-150W)
  • Ubiquiti Unifi 6-Port Switch, Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP, 60W (US-8-60W)
  • Ubiquiti Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point (UAP-AC-PRO-US)
  • Ubiquiti Unifi Video Camera (UVC-G3)
  • Ubiquiti 4 Megapixel Network Camera (UVC-G3-DOME)
  • Ubiquiti Network Video Recorder with 500 GB Hard Drive (UVC-NVR)
  • Lots of network cabling

Time to dust off your Visio skills and map all that stuff out in a diagram for us. :)

Gaffer

If you need to get your Internet via cellular and onto a wired network, it’s a decent option. It also has external antenna ports for cellular. On a home, I’d use an outdoor directional antenna with it.

This unit is also a wireless access point (hotspot). I have that WiFi turned off on my unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not travel with this but leave it home to support an interior camera and one or two exterior cameras perhaps one of them a doorbell type. Thoughts?

Oregon_Camper

Jim B....this seems like a great topic for a Heartland Rally sessions (Regional and National). You could have a day of technical classes, with stuff like WiFi setup, security cameras, Satellite TV, etc...

esscobra

You may want to look at cradlepoint.com for some device options- I sell lots of them to the contstruction industry for use in jobsite trailers- they are used everywhere from police/ems to redbox/vending machines- you would want to look at like the cbr900- 12v based/ 120 adaptor - or the aer 1600 that will work off cell or accept a wired lan input - and failback to cell.

many parks don't have good 2.4 wifi - so I wouldn't count on the having 5ghz at most parks anytime soon.

If you need internet you should plan having a cellular based unit with unlimitedsdata plan.

SLO

I keep coming back to this thread. This is stuff I didn’t know I needed. Thanks a lot, I think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You may want to look at cradlepoint.com for some device options- I sell lots of them to the contstruction industry for use in jobsite trailers- they are used everywhere from police/ems to redbox/vending machines- you would want to look at like the cbr900- 12v based/ 120 adaptor - or the aer 1600 that will work off cell or accept a wired lan input - and failback to cell.

many parks don't have good 2.4 wifi - so I wouldn't count on the having 5ghz at most parks anytime soon.

If you need internet you should plan having a cellular based unit with unlimitedsdata plan.

I had a Cradlepoint router before I bought a Pepwave. Hopefully, their control software has gotten better. I had a hard time configuring things each time I moved. The Pepwave software is more intuitive.

Greengas

Hi Ronn,

I use an Edimax BR6478AC Router from Amazon. Price is usually closer to $60, but currently $67. It has Wireless Internet Service Provider (WISP) mode (among other modes). When you set it up, be sure to configure to WISP mode. Do a site survey for the campground WiFi (try searching 5 GHz first and fall back to 2.4 GHz if necessary). If no campground WiFi, select your Verizon MiFi on the site survey. What's really nice is that when you hit a campground with Tengo Internet, you make the connection, enter the Tengo coupon code, and the code gets applied to your Edimax device. All of your other devices ride on that single coupon code.

On the inbound connection side, configure both the 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz radios for your RV wifi. Your newer devices can connect on 5 Ghz and the older and dumber devices will connect on 2.4.

Once you have made a campground or Verizon MiFi connection, all of your devices will be on the internet.

Configuring this type of device is never terribly easy, but it's better than most. Documentation is above average. It's fast and flexible. Reception is very good. And they even provide customer support that's pretty responsive.

Quick question, what is the power source for the Edimax? Does it have to be plugged in to use and if so, 12v or 120?

danemayer

Quick question, what is the power source for the Edimax? Does it have to be plugged in to use and if so, 12v or 120?
!20V AC brick that provides DC voltage to the device. If you want to run it off 12V DC, you can probably find an appropriate power device.

Greengas

!20V AC brick that provides DC voltage to the device. If you want to run it off 12V DC, you can probably find an appropriate power device.

But either way, it has to be plugged in. I'm debating between what you are recommending and what Oregon Camper recommends. Yours can handle the faster speed but his can operate on an internal battery if necessary. Oh decisions, decisions. Since we don't boondock a lot I figure the battery option is not that big a player. Since the one you recommend does not come with an app how tricky is it to set up and I know you already told me, but just to make sure I remember, once I have all my devices tuned to it, I don't have to redo that and that would include the version mifi. So all I have to do at a campground is set it up to their wifi and off we go. If we are boondocking, it would automatically see the version and again, off we go. Right?

Oregon_Camper

But either way, it has to be plugged in. I'm debating between what you are recommending and what Oregon Camper recommends. Yours can handle the faster speed but his can operate on an internal battery if necessary. Oh decisions, decisions. Since we don't boondock a lot I figure the battery option is not that big a player. Since the one you recommend does not come with an app how tricky is it to set up and I know you already told me, but just to make sure I remember, once I have all my devices tuned to it, I don't have to redo that and that would include the version mifi. So all I have to do at a campground is set it up to their wifi and off we go. If we are boondocking, it would automatically see the version and again, off we go. Right?

I have finished the YouTube video on the HooToo device and will publish it on Thursday.

If you PM me your email address I can grant you early access. If you have a google account, please send me that email address...it seems to work better.

danemayer

Ronn,

First, when I don't have power, I use my phone to connect to the internet. But of course, if I don't have power, the campground might not have power either.

Once you connect the Edimax to either the Verizon MiFi, or to the campground WiFi, all of your devices will be connected.

Greengas

I have finished the YouTube video on the HooToo device and will publish it on Thursday.

If you PM me your email address I can grant you early access. If you have a google account, please send me that email address...it seems to work better.

I found your site, but could not find how to see "early access".

Oh, on our trip out west we will be staying at Champoeg State Heritage Park on 26 and 27 July then at Barview Jetty on 28, 29, and 30 July.
From there it is up to Whidby Island for 8 days.

Thanks again.

Gaffer

Oh, on our trip out west we will be staying at Champoeg State Heritage Park on 26 and 27 July then at Barview Jetty on 28, 29, and 30 July.

Thanks again.

I haven't been to Barview for at least 20 years. Brings back fond memories. Camped there a lot and did a lot of crabbing in the bay.

Greengas

I haven't been to Barview for at least 20 years. Brings back fond memories. Camped there a lot and did a lot of crabbing in the bay.

Ok, excuse me for probably sounding real stupid, but... I'm an east coast guy, grew up around the Chesapeake Bay so I'm familiar with at least one style of crabbing (tie a chicken leg to some string, drop it over the edge of the pier, wait a minute or two, pull it up slowly and then use a net to grab the crab trying to have lunch. Is that how its done on the west coast? Also, I'm familiar with Blue Crabs, is that what they catch out west? Again, please excuse my ignorance.

Gaffer

We have Dungeness. The best tasting of all crabs. You can rent crab pots.

images

Oregon_Camper

Thanks again.

I'll create a new post for this, but wanted to circle back to this one and provide you with the public link.

https://youtu.be/wcIttYtwdx0

dave10a

Anyone using this? Looks like it would work for us at home. We have no wired phone, TV or internet. I could use it for internet, cameras, phone and as intercom to the shop. Already happy with MIFI and Simplisafe and Direct TV but I would like to add a couple of cameras. https://www.verizonwireless.com/home-office-solutions/verizon-lte-internet-and-home-phone/

Verizon-Wireless-MiFi-Novatel-T114V-Home-Business-Internet.jpg
I'm using that as well. ATT also offers a similar device, but I like Verizon's coverage better. Also a most smart phone allow hotspot tethering if one does not have the MIFI device but have a cell phone data plan. I have found that my cell phone allow 5 devices to share Internet and using the Internet Speed test the data transfer is slightly faster than the MIFI device. Also printer and file sharing works well using either device.